Hasegawa P-39 Airacobra

Hi,

This is my newly finished Bell P-39 Airacobra.

I know the Airacutie may easily be the most modelled P-39 ever, but hey - I want her on my shelf too!

I had a major disaster with thin superglue running from the nose weight down into the wing air-intakes. I had to cut it open to remove the glue and replace the mesh. This is were I nearly scrapped it. But I think the end result is OK.

I used an Eduard Big-Ed set (interior and exterior) and also resin wheels and gun barrels, except that the resin front wheel was too wide to fit in the fork! The wing gun barrels broke off more than once by my clumsy sausage fingers, so they ended up being replaced with plastic rod (the barrels, not the fingers). The exhausts are the kit parts that have been hollowed out. I might replace them with resin some time.

I did not care to mount an antenna wire, since my reference photos seem to show that Airacutie did not have one. They also show that this aircraft had its undercarriage doors removed.

The front wheel leg should propably not have a brake line, but I found out too late (d*mn you Eduard!).

The kit droptank is the wrong type compared to my period photos. I used one from the sparebox instead.

Paint is xtracrylix Olive Drab and Neutral Grey.

Weathering was done with Flory Models Dark Wash, oil paint for streaks and alcohol tinted with Tamiya paint for general dirt and grime.

Finally, only stencils are decals. All markings and art-work are painted - I used Miracle Masks for this.

And yes, I know I have to do something about that lousy groundwork...

Cheers!

Img_2380.jpg

Img_2393-1.jpg

Img_2432.jpg

Img_2395.jpg

Img_2397.jpg

Img_2406.jpg

Img_2408.jpg

Img_2391.jpg

Img_2396.jpg

Img_2422-1.jpg

• Like 2

Fantastic job! I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like it a lot! If I had one suggestion to make it any better (in my opinion) it would be a smidge of wash on the interior door. Nit picky Iknow, but I think it would make that interior really pop too. :thumbsup:

Stunning P-39. I especially like the subtle and bright colors that were used on the woman.

Belle

Edited by Belle

• 2 weeks later...

Firebird, Belle and Peter: Thank you very much!

Firebird: I agree completely. I only did dry-brush it, because I did not want the interior to look too dirty, but next time I will also give it a light wash.

Cheers