Queen Mary 2 Revell 1/400

Hi folks

I don't really 'do' ships but this was a labour of love, and at nearly a yard long photographing it was a bit of a challenge!

The p/e set was used for the railings (can't remember who by now) and is a must imho if you're going to do this kit justice.

QM21.jpg

QM23.jpg

QM215.jpg

QM25.jpg

QM26.jpg

QM28.jpg

QM27.jpg

QM218.jpg

QM217.jpg

Regards

JA

• Like 18

Was the PE set designed for this model or was it a generic?

It would be interesting to see how new kits of classic liners, apart from Titanic, would sell - Normandie, United States, QE2......There were some beauties. and all at 1/400th...You'd need to do shelf building seriously!

Was the PE set designed for this model or was it a generic?

It would be interesting to see how new kits of classic liners, apart from Titanic, would sell - Normandie, United States, QE2......There were some beauties. and all at 1/400th...You'd need to do shelf building seriously!

Hi Seadog - the p/e was from Gold Medal. It also includes the deck chairs and steamers, of which there are hundreds - I only made up a fraction of what was available.

There were a couple of 1/400 Titanics recently which I've thought about getting for comparison purposes, both being the biggest ships in the world in their time - although at 150,000 tonnes the QM2 was 3 times heavier.

What a great model!

what folk don't realise is how big it is in 1/400

I can, cos it's massive in real life - it was just backing out of its berth and turning for sea in Southampton Water when we came back on the ferry from the IoW last year and I have never seen anything so huge

I have got this Kit in my Stash and after seeing this makes me want to get stuck in. Fantastic job and we don't see enough Civil Ships.....Cheers mark

• 3 weeks later...

Nicely done! But ye gods, it looks top heavy!

In real life she looks like she will topple over any second because she looks so top-heavy. It's obviously an illusion and I presume she has a massive keel cast in there to prevent that, but just confirming I got the same impression seeing her in real life.

Very nicely done! She looks beautiful! Great work!

Wayne

Thanks for all the positive comments folks, really appreciated.

In real life she looks like she will topple over any second because she looks so top-heavy. It's obviously an illusion and I presume she has a massive keel cast in there to prevent that, but just confirming I got the same impression seeing her in real life.

Very nicely done! She looks beautiful! Great work!

Wayne

I know what you mean, up close she is overwhelming. Those steerable engine pods (= no rudders) each weigh the same as a 747...

• 4 years later...
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2012 at 8:08 PM, Murdo said:

That is an absolute beauty!

The paint is spot on tidy.

She has a very strange looking stern.

A Costanzi stern - a compromise between normal & transom. Bit about it by Stephen Payne her naval architect, in the Haynes 'Owners Workshop Manual' - from your favourite bookshop - or buy it 2nd hand like I did from ABE books