1/48 Sea Harrier FA3 Finished 26-12-2012

Arniec

Hehehehe thanks Col.

It is as dry as can bee. After I finished my project yesterday it is time to do some work on the SHAR. I have done some cutting to fit the resin tub. No pictures jet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers,

The 'pit looks to be a good fit. Sure that putty is quite dry enough? :lol:

Yes, the pit is a good fit. I didn't have to do any thinning down of the sides. I did scrape of al the detail on the sides.

I think I leve the putty on for a little bit longer. Hehehe

Cheers,

i'll follow your build with interest, as mentioned above, the Navy should have pushed harder for a SHAR replacement, However I think the Crabs have someone on the inside in parliament, who pushes for what they want and sod everyone else!

Colin on the Africa Station

I think you will find it was a fishhead that was head of the Harrier organisation (2 Group possibly) that offered up the SHAR for the chop. Besides which, the MoD (no separate Navy fast jet element now mate) has the SHAR replacement coming in the form of the F-35. And frankly the Navy has been gutted to fund the ships to put it on...for example six T45 's instead of the original 12....Nice work on the kit by the way. Edited by PLC1966

I think you will find it was a fishhead that was head of the Harrier organisation (2 Group possibly) that offered up the SHAR for the chop. Besides which, the MoD (no separate Navy fast jet element now mate) has the SHAR replacement coming in the form of the F-35. And frankly the Navy has been gutted to fund the ships to put it on...for example six T45 's instead of the original 12....Nice work on the kit by the way.

I think you'll find it was the RAF hierarchy who offered up the SHAR as a cost saving measure, which was grudgingly supported by the RN as there was no way they were going to get the money to upgrade the Sea Harrier if it and the GR9 were kept. The position of the head of 3 (Maritime) Group came from that, he wouldn't have unilaterally made the decision. Rather more telling was the RAF's move of JFH from 3 to 1 Group shortly after removing it from RN Op Con and the gradual erosion thereafter of the embarked capability.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally something done today.

I have done the cockpit glas. There was a terrible seam line in the middle. I have done this with the sanding patches from a little cars pollishing set.

After that it was dipped in Klear (the original one).

I have also done the nose, but have to finish it again with some putty. But in the test shots it looks good. just a few small holes to fill.

Here are some pictures.

cockpit glass

before

IMG_3562.jpg

after

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3564.jpg

the nose after some sanding and again some filling

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

Here are some pictures of the test fitting of the model.

with original LERX (65%)

IMG_3569.jpg

with 100% LERX

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

And finally a picture where I have glued the fuselage and the wing.

IMG_3573.jpg

Now I don't know what to do with The LERX. Should I use the 65% or the 100% one? What do you guys think?

Cheers,

• Like 1

Great to see you back with this one Arnold. Personally I'd go with the 65% for no other reason than it looks a better fit. From what I understand both types were used simultaneously due to different flight characteristics suiting different mission roles.

Maybee, but it was a test fit and it could have shifted a bit. Maybee it hase a better fit than you see now. It will all be comming together later on in the build. First I will have to do the cockpit and after that I can mate it to the fuselage. Then we know more.

But thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

I have been very bussy last two days with the cockpit. It is almost ready. I have made some pictures but have no time to put them online jet.

Hopefully I have some photos tomorrow.

Cheers,

Finally some pictures of the cockpit (these are the pictures from yesterday). It's the cockpit for a Harrier AV-8B+.

The start without any paint on. The seatbelts took me a few hours to complete. The seat is also from Aires. It's a MB mk.12 seat.

no paint

IMG_3575.jpg

The seat in different stages of painting

IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

The setabelts look a little bit to orange, but that is because of the flash phografie and that it wasen't made more dull with a matt coat.

here is the pit in different stages.

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

the sidewall panels.

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

And finally the part for the canopy.

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Here are some pictures of today.

I also managed yesterday to put the cockpit in the front fuselage, so I could today put the front and back fuselage together. but before I could do that I hade to clean up al the seams. This process took quit some time before it was done.

There are also a few pictures of the inlet and the first stage of painting the exhausts.

IMG_3602.jpg

the inlet.

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

The fuselage parts put together.

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

And finally for today the exhausts.

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

I have also glued the wing together and the wingtips wasen't a great fit, but after some scraping and filling it was ok. I still need to clean up the seams before it can be mated with the fuselage. I have no pictures of this jet.

Cheers,

Again some more pictures of the build.

I have cleaned up the wing and fitted it. I have also been looking at the LERX. Both aren't a great fit so I will go with the 100% one. In the pictures it is still loose. I have also putted on the nose and some small parts.

Nose

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

And here are some pictures with the wings on. She is looking more and more like a SHAR.

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

This is how far I have got today.

Cheers,

thanxs Col.

I have done some more work yesterday. the LERX is fitted now, but I did use some plastic strip to get a better fit.I still needed soe puty.

I will use the Puty/ Gunze thinner (or nail polish remover) method for this, so I don't damage all the panellines.

I made some pictures, but didn't have the time jet to put them online. Hopefully this evening.

Cheers,