Trumpeter Vampire FB9

Andrew Jones

I knew I'd seen that odd turned up nose on a set of drawings somewhere. I suspect that the base info came from the Italian magazine AeroFan which published a 1:48 drawing and a lot of AP detail illustrations in the Jan/ March 1983 issue for the Macchi/DH Vampire. And no the nose contours didn't change on the Macchi built version.

John

Edited by John Aero

• 1 month later...

From memory (going back 20 years now) the Hobbycraft Vampire nose was almost equal shape top and bottom, whereas the nose slopes down quite a bit (Mike Holloway and I measured one for a Reheat correction set, but gave up when we realised how much was needed!).

I'm looking forest to the Trumpeter kit, see what they've done and what needs to be done.

As I said before in another thread on the same Vampire, I really can't see how we can compare a mainstream injection moulded kit with a resin one that for its nature is going to be much less available and more expensive.

Following the same logic, whenever anyone asks about the airfix 1/72 Spitfire IX we should answer "forget it, CMR has a beautiful one"....

Wouldn't it be fair to Trumpeter to wait until we see anything before trashing their vampire ? I'm well aware of their track record, but now criticising a kit of which we haven't even seen a CAD drawing seem a bit excessive...

I still have no idea how one successfully builds an all resin kit. Assuming the bottle of super glue is not rock solid to begin with I always end up with mismatched parts, my fingers stuck together and the dog under the dining table with his paws over his ears. Those who manage it have my complete admiration.

• Like 3

I still have no idea how one successfully builds an all resin kit. Assuming the bottle of super glue is not rock solid to begin with I always end up with mismatched parts, my fingers stuck together and the dog under the dining table with his paws over his ears. Those who manage it have my complete admiration.

Well, I had very similar views but recently I have worked a lot with cyano. Historically, I have stuck myself rather than the kit, lost most of the glue and the rest went hard before I used it all. Following on would be weeks of sinus probs from the fumes.

Praise be! There is an answer.

I bought a bottle of Roket odourless (which is also very thin) from a local model railway shop and haven't looked back, totally sold on it.

'Use of without wasting' was the next thing to be addressed. Save all old glue bottle spouts and when you want to use the cyano, pull off the unbroken and sealed spout, fit an old one and off you go. Use of those little blue Micro Tips is also useful - push fit it over the spout and you can apply small quantities as a spot or a bead along a seam, or even get the parts lined up and held with clamps etc. then run it along the seam like a vacform with MEK. Of course, this part of the operation is a little easier with super thin cyano but then the fumes problem will reappear. Obviously, not everyone suffers with that though. If you are quick, the spout and Micro Tip can be rescued by cleaning in Glue Buster afterwards. Alternatively, with the spout pulled out, you can dip into the cyano with whatever other tool you wish - old bit of wire, cocktail stick etc.

Refit the original unbroken spout to the bottle after completing the operation and the cyano will stay fresh for next time.

And, I breathe wonderfully freely afterwards. Now that's magic!

Suddenly, resin kits are on the agenda and it is a good feeling after years of looking at them in my stash and wondering, like you, if I would ever manage one.

• Like 2

Epoxy glue can be used too. I am no great builder of resin kits but the few I have done with epoxy were less of a trial as I had more time to work with the parts and found that application of the glue was more controlled. For those occasions when I have to use Ca I tend to use a thicker type and apply with an old scalpel blade, this'll work for thinner CA too.

Duncan B

Edited by Duncan B
  • Like 1

Thanks, Nick, for raising the question regarding resin and CA, and to WIP, Viscount and Duncan for their suggestions! Should be helpful when I finally man up and tackle these beautiful Prop & Jet resin kits that are haunting my conscience... :blush:

John

Edited by John Thompson

It's only a model!

Sorry, wanted to say that for ages, feel better now :D

Well said! Let me second that! Just wish a lot more people here would accept that simple reality & get a sense of proportion. I honestly wish that I had nothing more to "worry" about in life than alleged "inaccuracies" in a small replica of a small aeroplane in a small scale! :shrug:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Well said! Let me second that! Just wish a lot more people here would accept that simple reality & get a sense of proportion. I honestly wish that I had nothing more to "worry" about in life than alleged "inaccuracies" in a small replica of a small aeroplane in a small scale! :shrug:

Allan

Good for you Allan, Its your hobby too and you're free to enjoy it anyway you want, if this kit's gonna float your boat - then good!

I'm actually not worrying about this small 'replica', as I shan't be touching it with a 15' barge-pole, thereby allowing me to enjoy my hobby too!!

A win:win situation all round!

Bill

• Like 2