This is a Hawker Siddeley Trident 1C, G-ARPR of British European Airways.

On 10 June 1965, while operating Flight BE343 from Le Bourget to Heathrow, this aircraft made the first fully automated landing of a commercial airliner carrying paying passengers. However, my model will show the aircraft as it was in May 1968 with a natural metal rear fuselage.

Like this!

The kit is the venerable Airfix 1/144 kit, suitably modified. Decals are from the Two-Six sheet 44034

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Taken from the mould and boxed long before the parts had cooled! No damage to the parts though.

004.jpg

005.jpg

Okay, hold on tight, rider! Here we go, two, free, four... :D

• Like 1

What a great choice Enzo!

I only flew on a Trident once (Aldegrove to Heathrow 'Shuttle', I think), but remember it as being super-smooth and quiet...

:popcorn:

Cliff

good luck with the mods...the airfix kit does look like a trident with no mods but it does give a good blank canvas to make any version.

First thing to do was to fit all the windows and doors and then fill them with putty. This includes the door which was claimed straight away by the carpet monster! Damn him! :wall:

006.jpg

I have chopped off the front of the fin bullet so I can extend it and make it a bit more pointy. I've also started to shave away the fuselage top ahead of the No 2 engine intake and the leading edge of the fin.

007.jpg

The wing root fairings start off as plastic card shapes. This should (I say should :D ) ensure that there is a proper definition between the fairings and the fuselage once I have used Milliput to make the main part of the fairings.

• Like 1

last update - Oct 7...

it's now Oct 12.....done any more?????

Indeed I have.

The fuselage is now together. The wing root fairings have been filled out with Milliput and I am now refining them to the desired shape.

Not that you can see very well due to my abysmal photography skills!

008.jpg

009.jpg

I'm considering sawing off the centreline intake and replacing it with a section of Phantom drop tank.

• Like 1

dont know about anybody else but I can see just fine enzo :)

what's the thinking behind replacing the centre engine intake?

oh and on the Trident 1, there is a strake running aft of the right hand wing root up along the rear lower fuselage

what's the thinking behind replacing the centre engine intake?

I believe the Airfix kit has an incorrect intake shape. It should be parallel along its length, rather than a narrow opening widening out as the kit shows. Unless someone knows better... :D

oh and on the Trident 1, there is a strake running aft of the right hand wing root up along the rear lower fuselage

Yep. I want to get the fairings sorted properly before I add the strake.

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress on this one, but I'm hoping to have it ready for painting next weekend.

The wings have been rescribed. The wing fences were sanded off and slots cut in the wing to take pieces of 15 thou plasticcard. You can see oversized pieces in place here.

010.jpg

Wings assembled with the correct sized wing fences.

011.jpg

don't you just get a feeling of "progress at last" when you get to this point?

Indeed! From this point on things tend to progress a lot more quickly.

One thing though... I've only just realised that I don't have any suitable grey. :wall: So I've just set off for some.

Looking good Enzo, your certainly earning your keep with this one.

Of course it probably means Tamiya will break out into 1/144 airliners and do a Trident as soon as you finish, (well we can dream!)

Cheers

John

Natural metal areas applied with verious shades of Alclad 2.

The grey is Lifecolor UA-043 Grey FS16515. Lifecolor usually dries matt but this one has a very nice high-gloss finish. Perfect for applying decals.

015.jpg

016.jpg

And now things start to get interesting. :D

In what way?

I have a shrewd suspicion Kev1n might be pointing your attention to the outboard ailerons...

By the way, I like that subtle kink you've given to the wings. Shows well in one or two of the photos :)

Edited by skippiebg

I have a shrewd suspicion Kev1n might be pointing your attention to the outboard ailerons...

By the way, I like that subtle kink you've given to the wings. Shows well in one or two of the photos :)

Aha! I missed that despite all the superb information that has been given on this site recently. :wall:. But it shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

What will be more difficult are the slats. As far as I am aware, the Trident 1C didn't have slats. So I think I shall have to live with the error.