A330/340 Aileron Question

Hello,

just been watching a video of an A340-600 landing:

and noticed that the ailerons deflected symetrically upwards in tandem with the spoilers on touchdown - presumably to provide extra lift dumping. I'm aware that on the A330 (and probably many other types) the ailerons droop symetrically by about 10 degrees at full flap, but does anyone know if the A330 ailerons also deflect upwards with the spoilers on touchdown? Videos I have found suggest not, but does anyone know for sure? It'll help with my A330-200 conversion.

Thanks,

Andrew

i never noticed that before.must be linked into the spoiler deployment at low speed to dump lift by applying downward force on the outbd wing.

i did notice the A340-300 didnt do this on few youtube vids.they have a smaller wingspan.

i checked about a dozen A330 youtube vids and not one of them had both ailerons in the up position with spoilers deployed.

the A330-300 has the same span as the A340-500 and -600.and i couldnt find an A330-300 to compare.

that was a good spot by you btw.

Edited by bzn20

Hi Andrew,

I finally managed to do a bit of digging through the maintenance manuals today. The A340-500/-600 ailerons are indeed commanded to deflect upwards at landing as part of the spoiler system. The flight control system on the A330 and A340-200/-300 is different so the ailerons aren't used as lift dumpers on those. It's not stated but I suspect it's related to the higher weights of the stretched versions. So if you're recreating an A330 landing, the ailerons should not be up with the spoilers deployed.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

I finally managed to do a bit of digging through the maintenance manuals today. The A340-500/-600 ailerons are indeed commanded to deflect upwards at landing as part of the spoiler system. The flight control system on the A330 and A340-200/-300 is different so the ailerons aren't used as lift dumpers on those. It's not stated but I suspect it's related to the higher weights of the stretched versions. So if you're recreating an A330 landing, the ailerons should not be up with the spoilers deployed.

HTH,

Jonathan

i think it maybe somewhere between weight and with the increased span of the A340 -500 and -600.there is quite a bit wing outside the influence of the spoilers.the outboard wing will be getting undisturbed airflow.I'm assuming the big span 340's didnt get more (span wise not total area )flap and spoiler?

"hijacking" the topic a little bit.... I am preparing my A340-300 to A330-200Freighter in 1/144 conversion, what is the difference on those two planes at the rear, so, like the tail?

it also has the "buggy-wheel well" at front and lacks the middle main landing gear from the 343

anything else?

Well, the A330-200 pax version has a larger tail fin - I assume the freighter is the same. Bra.Z do a resin tail - 2 versions: pre-mod and post mod. I think anything after cn555(from memory) has the post-mod version. The root fairings are different sizes and I think the post-mod one may be slightly shorter.

HTH

Andrew

Well, the A330-200 pax version has a larger tail fin - I assume the freighter is the same. Bra.Z do a resin tail - 2 versions: pre-mod and post mod. I think anything after cn555(from memory) has the post-mod version. The root fairings are different sizes and I think the post-mod one may be slightly shorter.

HTH

Andrew

You are right on both counts Andrew, The post mod tail has a shorter height and larger root fairings.

I missed this topic when it started, but the original question has already answered.

Notice Reverse is applied with the nose wheel still in the air, cancelled then re-applied after full touchdown

It was always taught not to select reverse thrust on the A330 and A340 until the nose wheel is on the ground. You can get away with it though on the A320 series.