Esoteric 1/72 Parnall Panther vacform - restored links

Patrik

The panther adjective indicates (at least in my language) usually some kind of sleek and swift creature. So whoever called this spermwhalelike beast Panther must have had really good sense of (pitch black) humor.

The Esoteric vacform had lingered in my stash for a while before I bought the magnificent Windsock profile and decided this MUST be my next build. Unfortunately the Windsock scale plans differ in some areas rather significantly from the plans included in the kit instructions and – as the same plans were very probably used for moulding the kit - from the actual kit parts. So with the photographic evidence clearly on the Windsock side, it was obvious, that except the usual vacform detailing, some surgery was inevitable. The most significant differences are listed below:

• completely wrong shape of the elevators
  • wrong division between fin and rudder
  • wrong shape of the central section cutout on both the upper and lower wings
  • wrong shape of the wingtips on both the upper and lower planes – fortunately both the vac wings had greater span than needed, so this problem was easy to handle
  • wrong shape of the pilot cockpit entrance aperture in the upper wing
  • too low fuselage tail end – this problem was only partly cured as otherwise the modifications would be far too drastic for me

I admit I am a bit late in inviting you to follow my progress.

P9220010.jpg

P9220014.jpg

P9220019.jpg

Edited by Patrik

:popcorn: Looking good there Patrik, watching closely as I've got one of these to build. Some useful tips on what needs correcting, I've not compared the parts with the Windsock drawings, bit difficult to do with a vacform until you've cut the bits out of the backing sheet. Don't suppose you've found any cockpit photo's?, the Windsock book's a bit sparce in this area. Going for the folded fuselage?

No cockpit details found indeed. So I decided to add just the control column and seat harness into the front cockpit and then remove the observer's seat from the rear one as the observer appears to be standing on the photos. I am going to add the rear gun mounting (but not the gun itself - no photo shows the gun really mounted) later.

Patrik

Edited by Patrik

Hi

In my searching for any and all Parnall info i found a picture and write up pertaining to the cockpit of the Panther. It comes from a publication called APPLIED AERODYNAMICS and was written by LEONARD BAIRSTOW in 1920. In the preface it credits the British and Colonial Aircraft Co for information and they manufactured the bulk of the Panther production. The publication is available to read or download fron the OPEN LIBRARY web site. Lots of publications on here but it does take some searching. I have also built this model, but am only very basic modeller and more interested in Parnalls. When i get an off line photo account will try to paste the pics otherwise hope you can find them and they are of interest to you.

Tayha

Wow, thanks very much Tayha, Open Library bookmarked for further exploration!

Meantime, here's the photo, didn't take much searching for with your info!

ParnellPantherCockpit.jpg

Edit - Text on the adjoining page attributes the cockpit photo as being of a "Panther"

Edited by Dave Swindell

• 2 weeks later...

Unexpected snag. After fitting the vertical tail plane the wrong shape of the fuselage tail end became far too apparent.

P9280033.jpg

So I added another fillet, some putty and a lot of indecent words while sanding. Should have been done before fitting the tail planes.

PA050041.jpg

Corrected upper wing shape.

PA050048.jpg

Edited by Patrik

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A few more steps farther in the build after a longer brake.

I decided to finish the kit in the – OK, rather speculative – but anyway quite attractive scheme depicted on the cover of the Windsock Datafile 142. Some details are still missing but I will be converting the Panther into a biplane pretty soon.

Patrik

PC120148.jpg

Edited by Patrik

• 2 weeks later...

What a geat build ! It was a particular regret that I did not get one of these when it was around, particulaly scince the datafile was published.

Has anyone scratch built this beast ? I have pondered a kit bash of it using a Gladiator fusalarge as a core, or am I being a glutton for punishment.....

Another one restored. I have to admit the sequence of photos in my archive partly does not fit with the thread that much, so hopefully I got it right.