1:1 scale - I want one !

Ronnie

Having worked at large airports being a 'headset man' and pushback tug driver for many years, these fellas are taking pretty big risks.

a) standing within a 7.5m radius of the intake of a large turbofan engine on start up. I wouldn't. Sliced and diced anyone?

B) walking behind a turbofan on start up when fuel is introduced. Apart from fire, dangers of high temperature air at high speeds are obvious. A mere grain of sand accelerated through the nice big noisy leaf-blower can cause high speed particulate damage to flesh, especially eyes.

c) ingestion by the turbofan of foreign object debris - FOD - (the lovely white gazebo) can cause surge, fire and/ or uncontrolled catastrophic events (explosions). Apart from the A1 Avgas the nearby mini digger would go up a treat too. Even at idle, as I guess this is, unimaginable volumes of air are sucked into the motor.

d) just because there's no fuel going through it doesn't mean it won't suck! This is what the lineys used to tell us when we passed too near the engine on wind down. Correct procedure is to wait until the flight deck have monitored the falling revs and switched the beacon off before approaching the aircraft or passing behind. Incorrect procedure is to wander up to the eight foot diameter spinning windmill just after fuel cut and be amazed at the force of the draught pushing you towards the first stage. It'll more than likely be the last thing you see.

That said, I wouldn't mind having it in my garden... The kids would love it.

Having worked at large airports being a 'headset man' and pushback tug driver for many years, these fellas are taking pretty big risks.

a) standing within a 7.5m radius of the intake of a large turbofan engine on start up. I wouldn't. Sliced and diced anyone?

B) walking behind a turbofan on start up when fuel is introduced. Apart from fire, dangers of high temperature air at high speeds are obvious. A mere grain of sand accelerated through the nice big noisy leaf-blower can cause high speed particulate damage to flesh, especially eyes.

c) ingestion by the turbofan of foreign object debris - FOD - (the lovely white gazebo) can cause surge, fire and/ or uncontrolled catastrophic events (explosions). Apart from the A1 Avgas the nearby mini digger would go up a treat too. Even at idle, as I guess this is, unimaginable volumes of air are sucked into the motor.

d) just because there's no fuel going through it doesn't mean it won't suck! This is what the lineys used to tell us when we passed too near the engine on wind down. Correct procedure is to wait until the flight deck have monitored the falling revs and switched the beacon off before approaching the aircraft or passing behind. Incorrect procedure is to wander up to the eight foot diameter spinning windmill just after fuel cut and be amazed at the force of the draught pushing you towards the first stage. It'll more than likely be the last thing you see.

That said, I wouldn't mind having it in my garden... The kids would love it.

Well how about this one then..........................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9J91Iq52Bk&feature=related