Starfighter Number 3

Well. I now have received the missing sprue C from the Hasegawa kit that I was going to do originally but diverted into using the Revell kit to complet my first entry. So this one is a restart following the stalled project.

Pics:

IMG_1133_zpsf38b0a43.jpg

But... the sprue sent to me also had a missing part! The main wheel bay roof! So out with the plastic card, a quick measure and a new one was soon fabricated. Some more strips were gued in place to build it up along the centreline to suport the section that holds the main legs.

IMG_1137_zps9e5812c7.jpg

The bulged doors are from the Revell kit, which were swapped for the Hasegawa ones that went on my CF-104D, are now added here. This one will be a German or Dutch or maybe another, not sure yet but the version with these doors were mainly seen on European ones(except some of the Danish and Norwegian ones which were ex CAF ones. The Turkish had a very mixed bag of F-104s so both types of doors would be seen.

IMG_1135_zps0074e2f9.jpg

A cockpit view of the the Hase kit decals for the instrument panels over the raised detail. Worked well I think.

IMG_1134_zps4fd04435.jpg

A general view of some progress.

IMG_1136_zps42c2affb.jpg

Cockpit openings masked with some sponge strips.

IMG_1139_zps5537a7db.jpg

Priming stage.

IMG_1138_zps7f24435e.jpg

And a rear three quarter view with a length of dowel shoved up its pipe...... as a hand hold for spraying!!!!

More soon.

Edited by Paul J

PS : Earlier photos of this one can be seen under "TF-104G to CF-104D" when I discovered the missing sprue after I had made the original start!!

Edited by Paul J

The bulged doors from the Revell kit which were swapped for the Hasegawa ones for my CF-104D are now added here. This one will be a German or Dutch or maybe another, not sure yet but the version with these doors were mainly seen on European ones(except some of the Danish and Norwegian ones which were ex CAF ones. The Turkish had a very mixed bag of F-104s so both types of doors would be seen.

The Danish CF-104s and CF-104Ds were brought up to F-104G and TF-104G standard which included the wider wheels and bulged main gear doors.

Here's an article about the Danish Starfighters: http://www.amarc.dk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=15:f-104-modelling&Itemid=28&layout=default

Jens

Paul, let me look in my spares box... I'm 99% sure that when I built my F-104S the kit had both type of door. This would mean that the flat doors are still there in the box as I used bulged doors on mine. If they are there, I can send them to you !

Thats mighty fine of you! But I have made a start on the painting aiming at doing a German one. Purely due to the fact that I don't have suitable decals for either of the Scandanavian ones or any for the other operators other than the German. Did fancy doing the Belgian one but need paints for the camo. But if I can find the suitable colours, I'll go for the Belgian option for which I still have the Hasegawa decals.

Might have to order the 'Vietnam' camo colours in.

Edited by Paul J

Well. Some progress with paint stages complete and decalling started. The following photos show the work continuing.

IMG_1160.jpg

Undersides and the top side darke grey already applied with masking for the green inplace.

IMG_1161.jpg

For this colour I used Xtracrylix Olive drab(as per WW2 US aircraft) as It has the brownish look in differing light as can be seen in various colour photos I've seen. The dark grey was the Revell acrylic (no. 76 I think) from those tiny pots included in some of their gift sets. Thinned with flw improver the paint airbrushes beautifully.

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

And a couple of side views L&R.

IMG_1164.jpg

The possible decals that may be used. Unfortunately, the 1/72nd Microscale numerals, stencils and I think, the crosses are too big!!!! Not the first time I've found that out about Microscale decals. The sets you see here date back to at least 1973 or thereabouts!!! The generic sets with the crosses only and the numerals only look better. The smallest numerals are good for the 104 but intended for the G-91 and others

The book is a very useful tool as it gives me lists of every F-104 and lots of other types used by the then West Germany with units etc. The generic sets have the numerals and crosses the right size. The smallest of the numerals are good for the 104 but intended for G-91s and other types too. AT bottom right is the set dedicated to the F-104 but the codes are too big but the badges look OK. Not sure about the stecilling but the Revell kit decals from their 2 seater are far too small for the 'rescue' blocks for instance but the tiny stencilling for the various maintainence wording etc are OK.

Edited by Paul J

Thanks Giorgio.

I think the colours right.

I found an unused set of Hasegawa decals from an earlier build, which ended up as my CAF Red Indian scheme, so they'll be of use. But I would like to follow up your offer for the main gear doors if you do have the 'smooth' ones going spare. I can use them to correct the Red one which has the bulged ones. I fitted these at the time as I had forgotten that the Canadian 104s did not have the bulged doors.

Meanwhile, the German one will be progressed with this evening with some moe decals and a choose a suitable unit and serial from my book illustrated above. Should finish this one tomorrow night hopefully.

Edited by Paul J

Here we are. The final photos of my third and final build for this GB. More pics of the finished build in the gallery and RFI.

IMG_1167.jpg

Waiting to fit main canopies and pitot.

IMG_1169.jpg

And just completed the last items added.

A Fourth!!! One thing about taking part in these group builds, it certainly depletes the stash! I'm out of Hase and other F-104 kits now. Although I do have an ESCI one on build but was started way before this GB so doesn't qualify. But will endeavour to finish it while I'm 'in the mood'.

Oh... and two 1/144 Revell kits to consider....

Can't help it Giorgio. Always had this liking for it. I am considering doing a couple of quick builds with the two 1/144 kits(a TF-104 and an F104). But its the decal issue in this scale that is the stumbling block. Might turn to CanMilair for these providing I can get the decals here in time before the deadline. But I doubt it. Still a possibility in making them them though.

However, I have enjoyed this GB.

Edited by Paul J