what about a 1/72 Mirage III?

song

Considering the effort made by HPM, who have produced a very nice Mirage III kit, I wouldn't like to see them swamped by a mainstream manufacturer before they can make some money from it, which might dissuade them from future products. If you like your Mirages, I do recommend you buy a new HPM Mirage. I hope to get mine started once there is space on the workbench to do so.

Considering the effort made by HPM, who have produced a very nice Mirage III kit, I wouldn't like to see them swamped by a mainstream manufacturer before they can make some money from it, which might dissuade them from future products. If you like your Mirages, I do recommend you buy a new HPM Mirage. I hope to get mine started once there is space on the workbench to do so.

Has an objective review of the HPM Mirages been made ? Shape accuracy is pretty important to me (I hang around in ARC, same name). I don't have a new tool HPM kit yet (air shipment cost to France is a killer) but it may change. I know about the wide panel lines (not a shape thing obviously) but I've seen picture of a built Dagger and mmh...

Has an objective review of the HPM Mirages been made ? Shape accuracy is pretty important to me (I hang around in ARC, same name). I don't have a new tool HPM kit yet (air shipment cost to France is a killer) but it may change. I know about the wide panel lines (not a shape thing obviously) but I've seen picture of a built Dagger and mmh...

Laurent,

could you advice on accurate and reliable drawings, assuming these exist ? I have a box of the Dagger, can't build it as I bought it for a friend but at least I could check something.

Laurent,

could you advice on accurate and reliable drawings, assuming these exist ? I have a box of the Dagger, can't build it as I bought it for a friend but at least I could check something.

If you can't remove some parts from the sprues, it will be difficult. I'll have to see the drawings that I have.

Has an objective review of the HPM Mirages been made ?

Yes, look here

http://aussiemodelle...016_Mirage.html

I have seen a couple made up and they look nice. One thing that the old Hiplanes had was a reputation for accuracy and that doesn't seem to have changed at HPM.

Subtract VAT from the Model Craft cost and it's about even. Such are the wonders of globalisation.

Edited by Ed Russell

A bit curious that the original poster has not yet commented about the multitude of replies

Is this just a phishing trip?

For long fuselage IIIE's and later In 1/72nd scale the old Frog kit from the '60's may be a bit crude, but it has a very nice shape, the Revell kit has so many errors it is not worth considering, and the Heller kit is fairly decent except for a few errors, then of course there is the piece of junk that is the PM kit.

Personally i have 5 of the new HPM kit, and have finished one, and another on the way, they are great little kits, and I find them no more expensive than Hasegawa and Tamiya for me, and although I live in Australia, HPM are based in Singapore, so postage is still a big deal.

A bit curious that the original poster has not yet commented about the multitude of replies

Is this just a phishing trip?

Song often doesn't reply to thread he starts. Too busy ? Not fluent enough in English ? I don't know.

For long fuselage IIIE's and later In 1/72nd scale the old Frog kit from the '60's may be a bit crude, but it has a very nice shape, the Revell kit has so many errors it is not worth considering, and the Heller kit is fairly decent except for a few errors, then of course there is the piece of junk that is the PM kit.

It's funny. I have an old French (from the early 80s) article about how to correct 1/72 existing IIIE/O kits. Nothing much to do on the Heller kit, some work on the Frog kit... :)

• Like 1

If you can't remove some parts from the sprues, it will be difficult. I'll have to see the drawings that I have.

Makes sense, I guess I should have bought one for myself... :banghead:

IIRC the old short run HiPlanes kit had been criticised in the french modelling community because of a supposedly incorrect wing chord. The new kit has the same wing shape so if the old one was wrong this is wrong too.

I did a quick comparison between a few Mirage III wings a few months ago, can't remember very well the result, I'll give it another go.

Personally i have 5 of the new HPM kit, and have finished one, and another on the way, they are great little kits, and I find them no more expensive than Hasegawa and Tamiya for me, and although I live in Australia, HPM are based in Singapore, so postage is still a big deal.

Graeme, the Frog fuselage looks quite different from the HiPlanes one to me, if one is right the other must be wrong !

Regarding postage, you have a great advantage in Australia: you don't have to pay GST on deliveries from abroad unless it exceeds a high value.

Here in Italy I'm supposed to pay VAT at 21% plus in some cases a 10% import tax on every delivery from abroad. Even with the same postage cost this makes the kit way more expensive. There's a reason why I always buy HPM when I'm in Australia for business... ;)

The market for the Mirage III is pretty well covered by ... the Eduard (and the HobbyBoss rip off of it) in 1/48 so I suggest the F.1 is a good idea.

Not really. The Eduard kit is a Mirage IIIC or CJ, which is the early version and pretty limited in its scope for variation. The Mirage IIIE and 5 in 1/48 were the basis for the major export drive, allowing at least three noses and umpteen attractive colour schemes. Yet they're pretty much limited to the Esci kits or stuff that's either worse or much more expensive. So my answer is, 1/72 is interesting, but if Kitty Hawk or someone were to do a Mirage IIIE or 5 in 1/48, I'd bite their hand off. Or any derived two-seater.

About Mr. Song's Mirage F1 CAD model

I see one inaccuracy in the shape of the intake face. The following picture is a modification of a photo coming from http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/mirage_f-1cr/

miragef1cr03of49.jpg

The only F1 kit in any scale where the intake face has "rounded corners" is the Airfix kit !

Hang on... hang on...! What's going on here? What are all those Beaufighters? And for 18 quid?!?!?!? :yikes:

These are the kits that HiPlanes introduced in the late '90s, early 2000's. They are short run kits that need a lot of work to clean every part but a good model can be built with patience. If you've ever built a HiPlanes kit you'll know what style I' talking about.

• Like 1

These are the kits that HiPlanes introduced in the late '90s, early 2000's. They are short run kits that need a lot of work to clean every part but a good model can be built with patience. If you've ever built a HiPlanes kit you'll know what style I' talking about.

Hmmmm... :hmmm: Now I'm intrigued. They have a Beaufighter II in FAA markings. That's gotta be worth a go...!

It's funny. I have an old French (from the early 80s) article about how to correct 1/72 existing IIIE/O kits. Nothing much to do on the Heller kit, some work on the Frog kit... :)

Hi Laurent!

Could I get a copy of those articles? Please please PLEASE?? :analintruder:

Edited by Moggy

Could I get a copy of those articles? Please please PLEASE?? :analintruder:

Tu parles Français, Moggy ? Je rappelle que l'article est dans la langue de Molière :)

Anyway. The article is lying somewhere in the house. I'll have a look.

• Like 1

Tu parles Français, Moggy ? Je rappelle que l'article est dans la langue de Molière :)

Anyway. The article is lying somewhere in the house. I'll have a look.

Oui, je parle (mauvais) francais! Je le peu lire sans souci... :coolio: Je aime Le Fana! :analintruder:

Merci beaucoup en avant, Moggy :)