Minicraft 1/144 B757-212 (Singapore Airlines)

EricP

With one of the moderators' kind permission, I'd like to enter a shelf queen to this GB. He took pity on it as it's been gathering dust for nigh on 5 years ... it's the AA version of the Minicraft B757. Before I stuck it on the shelf of doom, I had sanded and polished the fuselage (in preparation for the NMF finish of the AA livery), and had assembled the wings as well. However, I mucked up the engine pods and lost interest ...

P9170052.jpg

This time round, I will not use the AA livery ... I figured it's a good chance to use Guido's Delta 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics decals which I had stashed away a while ago, and it'll go well with some of the other colorful liveries being built in this GB, e.g. Mish's Bangkok Air A320. And it's also the 10th year anniversary of that event, so I guess it's the right time to use the decals!

P9210058_zps7f250dfb.jpg

P9210059_zpsa25d611b.jpg

The engines on the kit are not correct (RR rather than the PW2000 that Delta uses), so I've put in an order with Hannants for a set of the nice Bra.Z resin engines.

Edited by EricP

Happy to send them to a deserving home, kev1n, PM me your address. Bradley, I have another set, PM me your address as well.

I think I know what I'm in for with this kit, I've already managed to get the clear cockpit-fuselage transition done to my satisfaction (though I have not primered it yet to see if there are any issues), the next big one will be the wing-fuselage joint.

Happy to send them to a deserving home, kev1n, PM me your address. Bradley, I have another set, PM me your address as well.

I think I know what I'm in for with this kit, I've already managed to get the clear cockpit-fuselage transition done to my satisfaction (though I have not primered it yet to see if there are any issues), the next big one will be the wing-fuselage joint.

Thanks, Also a PM on th way :)

• 3 weeks later...

There's slight progress, but not pic-worthy ... got the wings on, but the built-in "dihedral" is atrocious, so I had to crack them again at the joint, get them to some semblance of reality, glue them in with gaps, then after a couple of nights for the glue to set, I've just gotten some Tamiya putty in. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed as I suspect that it may not be "square" with the vertical tail, I'll check once the putty's dried a bit. Reminds me why this was a shelf queen to start with ... next 757 I build will be the Welsh kit in the stash.

On a brighter note, the BraZ PW2000s I ordered from Hannants came in (together with a bunch of other resin that happened to be on sale ... a small order ballooned to something close to 100 quid I think!).

Did you get your decals yet, Kevin? Bradley sent me a note that he's received his.

... got the wings on, but the built-in "dihedral" is atrocious,

Did you get your decals yet, Kevin? Bradley sent me a note that he's received his.

I had the same problem with the one and only minicraft 757 I built...:( ...same solution, more or less

and yes thanks, I did.

The only way to square the wings with the tail is to chop off the rear fuselage and rotate it until the tail is upright again. Then of course you have to do the same with the nose.

Or get a Welsh kit and avoid all the fuss. Minicraft was not well served by the people who cut that mould :(

Edited by Jessica

The only way to square the wings with the tail is to chop off the rear fuselage and rotate it until the tail is upright again. Then of course you have to do the same with the nose.

Or get a Welsh kit and avoid all the fuss. Minicraft was not well served by the people who cut that mould :(

Or buy Ivo's nose and tail cone and fin :)

course you have to do the same with the nose.

since the nose is so grossly misshapen, assuming that poor people like me havent got the spare dosh to buy a/m replacements,

your going to be doing some heavy sanding to reshape it anyway so if it's out then sand accordingly.

Gee, you guys are an encouraging lot, aren't you? :)

Makes me re-think the idea of using the precious Guido decals on this monstrosity ... and as I've donated both sets of my AA decals, I may raid the Welsh kit for Royal Air Maroc decals to use on this beast. The Guido decals can then go onto the more deserving Welsh kit.

fwiw the minicraft 757 kit can be fixed, without using a/m parts...IF...you are prepared to put the work into doing it.

so Eric - dont be discouraged

CliffB - you ain't seen nuttin yet......some kits are so misshapen I reckon they break the trades descriptions act.

And minicraft kits arent the only ones....

but...like I said, if your willing to do what's needed, most airliner kits can be fixed.

Thanks for the encouragement, Kevin, I don't think I'm prepared to put in the work to fix it, not when there's an accurate Welsh kit waiting in the wings.

I'll still finish this, but I'm going to do something a bit different with it ... stay tuned.