Revell 1/144 747-8I - wow!

Hi Jennings, I understand it was a business decision and my criticism, such as it is, is not aimed at you. What seems bizarre to me (and others, apparently) is that they molded the windows open, but aren't allowing for that option on the decal sheet. Surely, if they wanted to save money they could have ommited the windows from the mould? How many AM sheets include clear windows? (I'm not asking for a number by the way). In my experience the majority don't.

Just my thoughts.....

Andrew

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence

How many AM sheets include clear windows? (I'm not asking for a number by the way). In my experience the majority don't.

That's because the **vast** majority of modelers have expressed the preference, over, and over, and over again, for decal windows. I've been doing airliner decals for 20 years now, and that's what's been conveyed to me repeatedly. I've asked, discussed, debated, and discussed some more on any number of occasions, in any number of venues, and the answer *always* comes back (in 1/200 and 1/144) decal windows.

That's because the **vast** majority of modelers have expressed the preference, over, and over, and over again, for decal windows. I've been doing airliner decals for 20 years now, and that's what's been conveyed to me repeatedly. I've asked, discussed, debated, and discussed some more on any number of occasions, in any number of venues, and the answer *always* comes back (in 1/200 and 1/144) decal windows.

i dont know how often we have heard this "i do it for 20 years" ... well, now i will tell you something new, in fact i expected you to know this, but as i see you dont.

Did you ever think about revell's choice to do a 748 LH? They are hardly producing new airliner kits and they do this one, not because we want it and they dont care about zvezda's 748. No - they do it, because there is a commercial market for beginners and people who possibly flew with this aircraft, just wanting to build it and Kids of course.

Whats the conclusion? Revell's intended customer is more or less a beginner, not a pro working with putty, sanding paper, super glue, airbrush, decal softener etc. - and no putty, no closed windows.

That was allways Revell's philosophy, and if you take a closer look to commercial photographs from revell, you will find parents with kids building a model in there flat. so in this case someones shooting himself...

Edited by flaptrack

I'm leaning towards agreeing with flaptrack there.

The big issue with having no windows molded is that takes away the choice from the modeller -

I do use decal cabin windows, frequently, but...I would always prefer to have them open.

Jennings -

I know how long you have been in the decal business and I know how so many say they want decal windows.

but (again)...is this something to do with the fact that so many airliner modellers are of mature age and remember the days

when airfix had badly fitting clear inserts and revell had the recessed window apertures?

Compared to both, decals would be infinitely preferable, but today's technology means it is easier to produce

better fitting window parts

(edit - had to go and do some work....sad....time should be devoted to modelling)

the obvious solution it seems is to have the window apertures there for those that do want them

and decal sheets to include separate frames to the dark grey windows themselves

my opinion only but dark grey is better than black

Edited by kev1n

Looks like it will be delayed to Jan 2013, sad.

I just saw an interview of Volker Vahle from RoG, he says their 747-8 kit incorporates "outstanding features" as well as being designed with material sourced from Boeing. Impatient to see how it compares to Zvezda's offering.

It looks like the window question is an insoluble one, just like raised or recessed rivets on a B-17 or DC-3 kit, for every supporter of a solution you will find an opponent.

Badly shaped/sized/spaced windows are aften something I read from Jennings, could you please comment on Revell's kit window shape/size ?

Cheers, Steven

...Impatient to see how it compares to Zvezda's offering....

At least Revell will hopefully include some antennas! Ok, they're not hard to scratch build but ... not even trying to provide them is a bit... lame... :confused:

As for the windows... I would like to have both options. For example, in their Edelweiss 320 Revell provides only the window frames. On the BMI/AUA 319 however, they gave both options of frames only and filled windows which I liked it and I think is the proper way. I don't like to spend another €10 to buy the detailed decal sheet... It's too much of an overall cost.

Well, I am looking forward to this kit. Based on Jennings' assessment, it certainly sounds like it is going to be pretty accurate. I find the Lufthansa livery a little, well, Germanic, but obviously it wouldn't make sense for RoG to release it with anything else at the moment. Hopefully someone will come along with some Korean Air decals once it enters service with them. I'm sure I can come up with a way of sorting the window frames - with or without decals.

Andrew

something funny going on with those engine fans...

Great link, thank you !!! I checked it Sunday but was sad to see nothing new.

Regarding the fan blades, I am certain it is a builder "boo", I could not understand how RoG could have gotten this wrong, with all the pics freely available, and the data they got from Boeing.

Cheers, Steven

Yes, it looks like all the blades are there, but just that the two parts of the fan haven't been aligned correctly. In the photos at the top of this page, it just looks like only half the blades are there. Seems to be a bit of a theme developing...

Jennings, I wonder, Have you tried assembling the test shot you received?

Hello all,

Thanks to IPMS Deutschland, new detailed pics under http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Revell/Preview_Rev_Boeing_747-8I/Pre_Rev_Boeing_747-8I.html. It sure looks like a very nice kit now please RoG bring it on BEFORE :badmood: Xmas :frantic: !

At 1st sight, I was shocked by the absence of yellow portions on the decal sheet, I thought they expected us to do some masking, but it appears the scanning is responsible for that.

Cheers, Steven

Edited by PMG Offramp

I'm sure rv wouldn't issue a lufthansa kit without the yellow ball, so it's probably a scan or a test shot like the kit

which looks awesome overall, tho' the windows do look a bit big

I haven't paid all that much attention to the 747-8 to be exactly sure. Here's a close-ish-up photo showing the windows in relation to other landmarks on the airplane. Note the door handle. If we compare that to the similar area of the test shot from the IPMS Deutschland site, it certainly appears as though the windows are in proportion. They even caught the very subtle difference in shape between the cabin windows and the one in the door.

The 747-8's windows are the same as the 787's windows,

Slight mix up here. They have nothing in common with 787 windows. The 747-8 window design is based on the 777's, both are much smaller and differently shaped than the Dreamliner's.

However, pax door windows retain the same size and shape from all previous 747 variants.

Cheers, Steven

Edited by PMG Offramp