Ford Trimotor - Airfix 1/72nd +++ FINISHED +++

Bonhoff

8176848340_082bde2043.jpg

2 coats of Vallejo Model Air Aluminium and it was time to mask it all up.

Started off with painting the red leading edge - Masking took a bit of effort as you've got all the corrugations to sort but it turned out a lot better than I'd expected.

Next up was to mask the black areas - A couple of hours work here.....

Black is Tamiya Matt acrylic.

8176821899_d13139ba7e.jpg

And here it is unmasked - I've obviously got some touching up to do....

8176851250_e5024c8624.jpg

Another view - Once it's touched up I can give it a coat of varnish.

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't had a chance to touch it up yet, a fine line black artists pen (do NOT get one with permanent ink since a clear coat can cause it to run) would work wonders on the black areas to potentially clean up the edges. That way, you only need to paint right to the edge of the ink rather than trying to get the paint to create the edge. Cut down black painted decal film might also work wonders here as well to get a crisp edge.

Can't wait to see the completed bird.

Thanks for the tip - I've done a bit more on the Tri-motor but it's going to be a close run thing - Decals have been added (Corrugated surfaces - Aarrrgh! :banghead: ) the engine nacelles now appear to point in the same direction and I'm currently attempting to rig the control lines from the cockpit to the wing.

• 2 weeks later...

8275175975_7040c6cc74.jpg

Props painted and decaled.

The engines were painted black, drybrushed with Citadel's Boltgun Medal and then washed with Citadel Badab Black.

The exhaust manifold on the centre engine supplied in the kit decided to snap while I was attempting to persuade it to conform to the back of the engine. This required a new manifold to be manufactured using plastic rod and the collector pipe from the original part.

Then I attached the nacelles to the main struts. I'd left the minor V shaped struts off as it seemed that they needed to go in once the nacelles were in place. This turned out to be the case but it was also very tricky to maneouvre (sp) them into position with the nacelles in the way. Eventually wrestled them into location.

Undercarriage then attached - We're on the downhill bit now - and all the other ancilliaries added over the last couple of days.

8276241860_bba83bc901.jpg

Not much rigging compared with some of the other builds on here but the control lines are fairly obvious so it seemed a good idea to add them.

The guides were descibed previously but also added the aileron cables to the wing too. All the cables were made with smoke coloured "Invisible" thread which really could do with being more visible.

8275178597_8caf780dbb.jpg

"Parkinson's Law – work expands to fill the time available for its completion"

And here it is - nearly complete - Apologies for the blurry picture. Some slightly less blurry ones below.

Just have the forward control wires from the cockpit to the wing to redo and it's finished.

And yes - It has been a bit "challenging" :banghead:

8276244606_74957bc739.jpg

8276245590_b6d59f8c62.jpg

8275181535_4b49bd368a.jpg

Pictures now added to the gallery. :yahoo:

My thanks once again to Paul J for the replacement decals to replace my over yellowed originals.

Think I need to build something without rigging now.... :)

Thanks - I used smoke coloured "Invisible" nylon thread which worked fine on the control runs from the back of the wing to the tail - Apart from being invisible :doh:

The same thread wouldn't attach to the pegs I'd attached to the control horns - Nothing would stick the nylon.

Hence the black polyester thread - it's the only stuff I had that would stick.

Will change the nylon another time.....

Nice work Bonhoff, love the look of these Trimotors. Got this one to do myself sometime when I feel brave enough, possibly with some floats.

As you say though, think I'll do something without rigging next! :hypnotised: