Hobby Boss 1/48 P-51D Mustang

kpc7676

Just completed as part of the USAAF GB. Nice kit, but as said in a post of another example yesterday, there are a myriad of inaccuracies that are impossible to rectify, but I will not go into that here for the fact that they have been said plenty of times elsewhere. I used Ultracast wheels, exhausts and seat, and Superscale decals for Thunderbird, flown by Ted Lines.

054-1.jpg

051-2.jpg

055.jpg

056-1.jpg

057.jpg

060.jpg

Now, back to the Starfighter and maybe a Hellcat to match.

Cracking job, well done.

However, and this is a fault of the kit, not you, if it is a fault: Is the curve of the upper cowling a bit too pronounced?

Whatever the answer, lovely job.

Thanks Mike,

Not sure about the upper cowling curve, first I think I have heard of this. When matched up with a Tamiya P-51D prior to building I thought they looked fairly well spot on for fuselage shape.

Thanks everyone else for the comments, appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Very nice build. I am afraid, though, that you have the undercarriage legs reversed - the oleo scissors should be at the back.

I had heard terrible things about Gunze metallized paints, and about any acrylic metallic finish in general. It is good to see that you got a very good-looking result.

After seeing your work I think I will probably buy one and use my ICM (Tamiya clone) P-51B exceeding parts to spice it up. After all, that kit offers both weighted and non-weighted wheels, and two types of exhausts.

I´d like to ask you a question: Judging from the plastic thickness and brittleness, would it be too difficult to cut the flaps and open the radiator belly exhaust?

Greetings