Su-27 Flanker B - accurising and detailing the Airfix kit

James G

• 1 month later...

I've got some Preiser figures as they are nicely moulded, plus a few random ones I picked up at the Telford show that looked vaguely Russian. I got the one below, wished I had picked up a few more as the face detail is good and he has a fur hat on! I'm going to kitbash them with other figures so they look right and have the right poses, I'll use Milliput white (fine) and dental tools to sculpt some detail.

1-72%20Figure.jpg

You don't happen to know who makes the figure above do you? I could do with a few more!

Oh dear, this is a figure that brings my memory back many, many years...

This figure is part of a set made by a long gone Italian company named Atlantic. They made toy soldiers based on several subjects in both HO and 1/32 scale. Most were really not too accurate, but some can still have some use. In any case they were some of my favourite toys when I was a kid.

This figure was part of the Red Army set reviewed here

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=77

BTW, very good job on the Flanker, there's some impressive detail here

Edited by Giorgio N

Hi All,

Got a bit more done on the Flanker, got one the main gear bays finished and the intake on. Spent quite a bit of time rescribing detail which was sanded off as the fit is so bad! After the other main gear bay and nose gear bay are done this should come together quite quickly (I hope...)

20150917_150007.jpg

20150917_150112.jpg

Hope you like!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of a setback on this build...once both the intakes were glued on, I realised that they did not look right. Entirely my fault, I should have checked the plans. A word of caution if you are building this Airfix kit, the way that the kit intakes are designed to sit is wrong, they make the intakes face inward slightly and leave an insufficient gap between them. Luckily I was able to remove both and I will refit them. Annoying, but not quite the disaster I feared initially! While I waited for some abrasive cord to arrive to remove the intakes, I started scratchbuilding a tow bar for the Flanker diorama. Photos to follow.

Here we go. The intake on the left has obviously not been repositioned yet, the one on the right has been, and sanded flush with the main fuselage. The last 2 photos are some small progress on the scratchbuilt tow bar. I just ordered some figures and accessories so have everything I need to complete the diorama now, watch this space!

20150929_113637.jpg

20150929_113645.jpg

20150925_104509.jpg

20150925_104455.jpg

• Like 2

Can you tell me where you get your figures from?

Thanks

James

Pilot this is - AIRES. Other figures from different kits of ZVEZDA. The technical staff taken from "A-miniatures" set.

Great latest result, James!

Igor.

• Like 1

Great save, looking good! What figures did you go for in the end?

Hi David - I went for the ones you suggested! I'll probably just use the heads and adapt some other bodies. Also going to check out the ones Igor mentioned ;)

• Like 1

Great work,can't wait to see the finished piece! (Wish my stash looked like yours, mines rubbish and I'm struggling to get kits atm!)

Thanks Jusjay, if you need help tracking down something specific let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks very much exdraken and shalako! The intakes are both correctly positioned, it was a lot of work but it was an error that really needed fixing. I'm replacing all the panel lines and rivet detail that was sanded off on the intakes, plus a bit more detail on the wing undersides. Then I'm going to detail up the front gear bay, which shouldn't take too long. After that it's on with the wings and other main parts and it should come together quite quickly.....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening All.

I've got another update on the Flanker. I've got the nose cone on and it's starting to take shape. I've included a couple of shots of the detail in the nose gear well, which I was quite pleased with.

20151019_161344.jpg

20151019_161354.jpg

20151019_161409.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Cheers

James

Any comments welcome.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've done a bit more on the Flanker. The nose has been reprofiled with white Milliput, the resin engine nozzles and the wings are on. The kit is fighting me every step of the way, each part needs extensive sanding and filling before the shape looks right. I'm using suerglue/baking powder as my main 'strength' filler, then green putty and Mr. Surfacer. After that panel and rivet detail needs to be rescribed, it's a laborious process! The weird set-up with the tape and rulers isto straighten the wings.

I started to make the PE airfield accessories as well, the tool chest, wheel chocks, bicycle and boarding ladder. Tricky but good fun! Any comments welcome.

20151027_154832.jpg

20151029_163604.jpg

20151103_225250.jpg

20151106_173238.jpg

20151109_210914.jpg

20151110_150032.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Another little update for you....the Flanker is nearing the painting stage, just need to add the horizontal stabilisers. I'll leave the vertical stabilisers off until they are painted, for facilitating the painting of the engines. I've been working a lot on the scratchbuilt tow-bar, and I'm really happy with how it looks. Just for fun I've added a few pieces in to the diorama to give a small idea of how it might look. Hope you like...

20151126_221639.jpg

20151126_221736.jpg

20151127_165652.jpg

20151127_165710.jpg

• Like 3