Frog/Novo Trafalgar class Destroyer

colin

Anyone know if there is a Photo etch set or anything to improve the detail on the kit.

Managed to pick one up at a flee market and would like to have a go at making it into HMS Barfleur as my late Father served on her

Nope, you are on your own! Some 1/300 or 1/350 generic details can be used, as I am doing with mine (project currently stalled) but nothing specific.

Oddly enough I am doing Barfleur too, as she saw action in the Pacific at the end of WWII and at Suez - I plan on finishing her as she was at Suez.

Thanks for the replies.

Stevehnz,thanks for the thread link, that will be really helpful. The picture of Barfleur I have was taken in Malta in 1956 which shows her closer in Armament set up to the kit,but the bridge area is totally wrong by the look of it.

Paul, my Father was at Suez but I'm not sure if he was on the Barflure then, will have to do some checking.

Ah the old frog kit of a battle,right up my street,as my name suggest's.I have built this model and used 1:350 photo-etch from wem,loof at the wem sight for details,you are correct in saying the bridge and othe structures are wrong,but remember this is a very old kit.Good luck with the build mate,keep us posted on how you are doing.

All the best Alan

I scratchbuilt a new bridge structure that fit over the top of the stump of the kit one. All the upperdecks will need serious thinning, or, as I did, replacing with 20 thou. It's a crude kit, as you might expect from it's age, but can look great with mods.

Blast it,just missed picking another frog battle up on ebay,outbidded by a pound,it went for £17.00 a bargain i think.Happy modeling Paul.

all the best Alan

Blast it,just missed picking another frog battle up on ebay,outbidded by a pound...

Don't forget that it's just the bid that beat yours' - goodness only knows what his max bid was. Might have been 25 quid for all you know, so I wouldn't feel bad about it. My rule is to bid my max, then forget about it if I'm outbid - that way, I don't get into bidding wars and don't feel bad if someone beats me by 50 cents.

Anyways, this thread might be starting to rekindle this project for me.....

Don't forget that it's just the bid that beat yours' - goodness only knows what his max bid was. Might have been 25 quid for all you know, so I wouldn't feel bad about it. My rule is to bid my max, then forget about it if I'm outbid - that way, I don't get into bidding wars and don't feel bad if someone beats me by 50 cents.

Anyways, this thread might be starting to rekindle this project for me.....

Thanks for the tip paul on ebay,I will try that next time,I hope you will get your modeling mojo back mate.

Best regards mate Alan

Hi Alan,

are you going over to Chatham tomorrow? HMS Cavalier is to fire a full broadside of all her guns.

*****HMS CAVALIER, The Historic Dockyard Chatham’s very own Second World War destroyer, will mark her own “Salute to the ‘40s” by firing a ‘broadside’ using all three of her 4.5” guns at 12.00 noon on Saturday 15th September, the first day of the Salute to the ‘40s event.****

Mike

Thanks for the tip paul on ebay,I will try that next time,I hope you will get your modeling mojo back mate.

Best regards mate Alan

Cheers, Alan - I've got the worst case of "Modellers' Block" that I've ever experienced. Two months and counting.....

Wish I could get to Blighty to see the Cav - sounds like fun!

Hi Alan,

are you going over to Chatham tomorrow? HMS Cavalier is to fire a full broadside of all her guns.

*****HMS CAVALIER, The Historic Dockyard Chatham’s very own Second World War destroyer, will mark her own “Salute to the ‘40s” by firing a ‘broadside’ using all three of her 4.5” guns at 12.00 noon on Saturday 15th September, the first day of the Salute to the ‘40s event.****

Mike

Thanks for that Mike,I was not aware of the Cavalier firing her guns,unfortunately I will not be able to get there mate,hope it will be

on the news tho.

Best regards Mike

Alan

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Cherrs for the heads up,

Are the twin Bofors mounts on the sheet the STAAG type?

My Dad's got one to build as Dunkirk and he tells me that's what she had fitted when he served on her.

TIA

IanJ

The instructions indicate that the Staag guns can be produced from the parts, but does require some further modification.

Dave

Cheers Dave, I'd better get an order placed now.

IanJ

Ordered my etched set yesterday morning, arrived today beforevening lunch!! Now to start the kit. First built one in the late 70s. Stuck it together and played with it. Now to make a proper job of it !!@