D-Day Mirage & Display F-4

Bri48

Hello

I love all the Mirage F1.

The Phantom is very nice too. What is the reason for the white and red checkered band on the intakes of this 74 Squadron aircraft? Because as I can remember these are colours of 56 Squadron. Was it a composite team?

Patrick

Hello

I love all the Mirage F1.

The Phantom is very nice too. What is the reason for the white and red checkered band on the intakes of this 74 Squadron aircraft? Because as I can remember these are colours of 56 Squadron. Was it a composite team?

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

74 Squadron and 56 Squadron were based at RAF Wattisham and were the last two phantom squadrons there.

Dave Eade sums up the story in the following link...

"The Wattisham Chronicles".

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/wattisham/partsix/partsix.htm

Hope it answers your question.

Brian.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments re the post, as always greatly appreciated.

@ Patrick.....I've built a couple of other Esci F1s in 48th scale and will post them at some time. No others remaining in the stash now...come on Revell give us a 1/32 or even a 1/48 scale update!

@ Ray (TrojanThunder)........The Heller kit is very old, raised panel lines, sparse cockpit etc and needs a lot of patience when putting together, just to make it look presentable. the undercarraige legs are a nightmare, I nearly binned it on numerous occasions.....all I can suggest is stick with it. Re the decals (MAS-729009) they are excellent quality and you get plenty of them. No problems in applying them, small as they are...... HOWEVER......make sure you trim about (I think) 1.5mm off the width of "stripes" otherwise they will not fit the model correctly.

All the best

Brian

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments re the post, as always greatly appreciated.

@ Ray (TrojanThunder)........The Heller kit is very old, raised panel lines, sparse cockpit etc and needs a lot of patience when putting together, just to make it look presentable. the undercarraige legs are a nightmare, I nearly binned it on numerous occasions.....all I can suggest is stick with it. Re the decals (MAS-729009) they are excellent quality and you get plenty of them. No problems in applying them, small as they are...... HOWEVER......make sure you trim about (I think) 1.5mm off the width of "stripes" otherwise they will not fit the model correctly.

All the best

Brian

Thanks Brian!