Ray's B747s

Oh my now were talking! I thought about doing a 747-300 aerosur 747-400f cargolux, but I want to actually finish a GB for once... Anyhow are you going to use 747-300 engines also?

Oh my now were talking! I thought about doing a 747-300 aerosur 747-400f cargolux, but I want to actually finish a GB for once... Anyhow are you going to use 747-300 engines also?

As far as I can tell the engines for the Ansett -300 are similar to the Pratts that come in the -200 donor kit. I have aftermarket PW4000s for the -400F conversion though.

I just realised that the engines I will be using for the -300 will come from a Welsh 747SP as the Revell -200 engines have the wrong pylons.

I broke my kits out on the weekend and started cleaning them up, a bit of snading here and a bit of putty there. Nothing really to report picture wise. I need to get to work on the wings and U/C shortly.

OK, got some work started on mine.

Some sanding was carried out on the fuselages after some putty had been applied the other night.

B747-314_1.jpg

The wings for the -300 were assembled and I decided to drop the inboard ailerons. I had seen VH-INI parked at Sydney for maintenance when it was still in service and noticed these surfaces down. So I though it would be a simple mod rather than having to drop all the flaps, etc.

B747-314_3.jpg

Another shot of the dropped aileron and the first -400 wing glued.

B747-314_2.jpg

These are the PW engines from the Welsh SP kit, I have started to clean up the mould attachment lugs and one engine has been assembled (not shown).

B747-314_4.jpg

Edited by TrojanThunder

Very nice, Ray, I'll also be closely following this build thread. I'll be keen to see the painting of the blue demarcation on the fuselage of -INJ, I have the same decals in 1/200 scale with a Hasegawa kit waiting in the wings for it :)

BTW, Flying Colors' "Mega Ark" titles are a bit funky, but it will be difficult to fix as the font's a bit unusual. Liveries Unlimited got it spot on, but I only know of the 1/200 scale sheet.

Thanks Graeme and Eric,

I have seen INJ built using a 744, obvioulsy the builder could not be bothered to build a 743 and the demarkation lookied good. I think I will have to do a bit of practice before I have a crack on the 743.

As for the Mega Ark Titles, I see what you mean, I think they will have to do though.

Well I thought I would be progressing the SIA 744 faster but it seems this is not the case.

I have the wings on the 743 and engines assembled. I also refamililarised myself with the decal sheet and boy I am now wondering what I have got myself into. You get 3 sheets in the set, one with the main titling, logos and door outlines, etc and one for each side of the aircraft filled with various sized bubbles and they are just labeled left side and right side! To top it off I need to find a match for the 2 (or more) blues used for the tail and rear fuselage colours. I think some mixing will be required.

As for the 744 I have one wing together, seems the moulds are not as nice as they used to be with a lot of clean up required just to get the winglet on.

A couple of pics to show some progress.

More filling with Mr Surfacer

743SM_001.jpg

Engines together, some more sanding to follow

743SM_002.jpg

Stabs together

744SM_001.jpg

Stbd wing on and filling arounf the root in progress

744SM_002.jpg

Edited by TrojanThunder