A39 Tortoise - 1:35 Kick up the 'arris completion attempt

Mike

Sorry Andy - S'not my fault! :innocent:

Well, I finally got the paint on the uppers this avo, with a base coat of Tamiya Olive Drab XF-62, which I then lightened twice with Sky XF-21 to break up the monotony. A filter coat of Mig Green for Khaki Green, and it was time to have a look how it's coming along. I'd already given the tracks their initial coat of primer and pigments using the new Lifecolor Tracks Combo Set. The pigments are quite gritty, which works well in this instance, and once dabbled on with some Mig European Dust they were ready to go back on, facilitating installation of the side-skirts. I'm so glad I didn't bother making up the top run of track, as it would have been a tremendous waste of time, because you can't see a damn thing past the drive sprockets. :shrug:

A quick snap, which seems to have accentuated the highlights somewhat. That blob on the glacis panel doesn't look that prominent in the flesh, but I might fettle it in later.

hull11.jpg

Lots more work still to do, but it's starting to come together now :)

I couldn't resist putting on the painted exhaust and spare track links to see how she looks.

I've not been too happy with my portrayal of exhausts on AFVs so far, so wanted to do a good job on this one. I used the reference pics that were posted earlier in the thread, as now the Bovvy example is a runner, this is how an in-service exhaust would look. Using the Lifcolor Rust Combo set, I first painted the base coat of Intermediate Wear (a deep rust colour) and then used the three rust shades to dapple the basic colours onto the different areas. Once done, the pigments were used to improve the blending and add extra colour to it. I accentuated the look a little to give it a little more visual impact, and to make up for my lack of blending skills!

exhaust.jpg

The tracks were given the same Intermediate Wear base coat, then dosed with the pigments, which were scrubbed with a stiff dry brush once dry. A little rub with an artists' pencil to give them a metallic shine, and they were ready. I'll probably be adding to these and the tracks during the build, to layer up the muck ^_^

tracklinks.jpg

Detail painting next :)

I used the reference pics that were posted earlier in the thread, as now the Bovvy example is a runner, this is how an in-service exhaust would look.

That'll be the ones I took the time to post a link to then. They are now in the walkaround section for anyone else that may want to use them.

http://www.britmodel...5

Cheers,

Mike.

No bloodshed here please :hobbyhorse: .

Make it Mike and Mik :shutup::winkgrin:

Seeing how Mike(Root Admin)was here first ,so's he#s Mike, you get the Mik.

How's that.

Nice pictures by the way on the Tortoise Mike. :winkgrin:

Edited by foxy

It's secret :wicked:

Actually, it's not. It's a built in feature to the forums. just set the first tag to be used in front of the thread title by ticking the box, and then edit the first post when you want to change it :) All there in plain sight :smartass:

It's secret :wicked:

Actually, it's not. It's a built in feature to the forums. just set the first tag to be used in front of the thread title by ticking the box, and then edit the first post when you want to change it :) All there in plain sight :smartass:

err ticking which box?.....

confused of oxford

The one next to the tagging box? That tick-box shaped one... pishhh! Unobservant or what? :rolleyes:

Now... do you have anything to say about me tank, or were you just here for the hints & tips? :hmmm:

Now... do you have anything to say about me tank, or were you just here for the hints & tips? :hmmm:

Hints and tips, Mike....don't 'do' tanks :bleh: although nice work btw

Edited by AndyC

The one next to the tagging box? That tick-box shaped one... pishhh! Unobservant or what? :rolleyes:

NIce tank! :)

but thats the point - there isnt a tick./checkbox by the tagging box.?????

hence the confusion in me 'ead

Jonners

Well I do not think you have to put any more muck on them tracks Mike, as we Know this vehicle did not see much service, I think you have the track just right and the exhaust is very good.

But it all depends on how you want to display this vehicle.

With the real thing running(sort of) this could be an option.

The ball is in your court on that one. :winkgrin:

Great job so far and watching with Interest. :coolio:

great work Mike - that exhaust is way better than mine "but" (sorry) the exhaust rusting looks a tad too bright in my eyes.... maybe its my monitor... know you are a lot more expert than me - perhaps there will be more weathering on it?