my airfix Vulcan

Tornado

after some inspirational Vulcan builds on here. this morning I half taken delivery of the airfix Vulcan. I won't be doing any serious mod. just a little scratch built detailing and maybe PE cockpit set. and maybe some aftermarket decals. I have decided it will be in the anti flash scheme. but instead of the blue steel I'm thinking of going for the skybolt option. (anyone been down this route.?) are the skybolt missiles available ?

more questions will undoubtedly follow on this thread.

any help, tips n guides will be much appreciated

cheers guys

Mark

Hi Mark,

My first tip would be to not bother with too much cockpit detailing - it will likely be invisible! Contrary to my own expectations, the seats are visible, but anything aft of them would be wasted. Proibably the same with the instrument panel under the coaming.

I believe Skybolts are available from Freightdog - see here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46801

If the above doesn't include decals, check out Airdecal, they do some lovely sheets for anti-flash and camouflaged Vulcans. I've used these with success :)

Good luck and enjoy the build!

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

My first tip would be to not bother with too much cockpit detailing - it will likely be invisible! Contrary to my own expectations, the seats are visible, but anything aft of them would be wasted. Proibably the same with the instrument panel under the coaming.

I believe Skybolts are available from Freightdog - see here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46801

If the above doesn't include decals, check out Airdecal, they do some lovely sheets for anti-flash and camouflaged Vulcans. I've used these with success :)

Good luck and enjoy the build!

Mike

Cheers mike, I was half expecting you to link to your build, lol

I quite liked the idea of a removable canopy so you could see inside, "but" my experience with detailing and PE is nil, so it's just as well I think, I will deffo need anti flash decals, as this is the XH558 only version,

Anymore tips on making intake covers for the Vulcan, other than this?

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

Ian, easiest way to do the engine covers - as I'm only a few miles down the road from you, break in to my house and nick mine!! :yahoo:

Seriously though, here's a quick guide:

VulcanEngineCovers.jpg

1. Stick a bit of masking tape over the intake

2. Use a pencil and rub around the edge to transfer the intake shape onto the masking tape

3. Stick tape template onto plastic card and cut out roughly to shape, then keep sanding and testing until they fit.

4. Make a couple of holes in the card for the handle

5. Make handle from a bit of thin fuse wire

6. Bend spare wire around back of cover and glue in place.

Done, easy as that!

Reference for this was the Vulcan at Newark, in reality the covers are further inside the intake, but I've left mine larger to hide the mess underneath!

Cheers, Rich.

Having cocked up the filling and sanding of the dreadful intakes, i swayed myself to have it as a static now,

Mark

Edited by Tornado

Top Photo, the two clamps around the oleo take the load of the aircraft, allowing the oleo leg to be depressurised/drained. The upper two red bars are downlocks to prevent the leg from retracting - these would commonly be fitted on parked aircraft in service to prevent accidental or inadvertant retraction during servicing.

Lower photo, this looks like a downlock, but not in it's correct position. I'ts been wedged across the bay, but what for, I don't know.

Top Photo, the two clamps around the oleo take the load of the aircraft, allowing the oleo leg to be depressurised/drained. The upper two red bars are downlocks to prevent the leg from retracting - these would commonly be fitted on parked aircraft in service to prevent accidental or inadvertant retraction during servicing.

Lower photo, this looks like a downlock, but not in it's correct position. I'ts been wedged across the bay, but what for, I don't know.

Cheers Dave , where is the correct position for the bar in the lower photo?

Mark