Paul J

.Which... of these should I go for? And please don't say all three because these are MPM/SH kits and are not "shake the box and out pops a kit" kits!

IMG_0953.jpg

This one?/ Its more of a candidate for the seaplane GB!!

IMG_0952.jpg

Perhaps this one. But I think I'll save it for now.

IMG_0951.jpg

This the more likely candidate. All over bare metal jobbie! EEEk! Actually one of the options will fit in with another mini theme I have in mind.

Edited by Paul J

I have done some MPM/Pavla kits, Sir, and know what you mean about their taking some work, nuit they can build up into great models.

I would recommend the Vultee also, and further, would suggest foil for the finish: nothing look quite so like metal as metal....

Thanks chaps. I am leaning to the Vulltee as mentioned in post 1. Might be worth my while experimenting the foil method for finishing. The mini theme i am thinking is one of a series of aircraft used by oil companies. The kit includes one for a company I don't know of but stiil has the AA flash or a Shell sponsored one flown by Jimmy Dolittle. A couple of other plans I have are for the Boeing 247 in Chevron Oil using the Williams kit and Whiskey Jack decals and another I can't think of right now.

Oh yes I remember now. A 1920s Junkers F13 in Imperial Oil Co. colours. Its already built and decalled just needs a few finishing touches. A pity I pre empted the GB when I built this but I'll post pics when ready.

Edited by Paul J

Here we go. First pics up of progress these past few days on the Vultee among to repairs to my collection etc.

IMG_1030.jpg

general view of some part pre painting.

IMG_1032.jpg

Cabin areas assembled.

IMG_1034.jpg

Fuselage coming together.

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

The rectangular part with the pointy end is an optional part fro the flight deck roof as an alternative to using the vacform clear part. I'm going to see which will work best by trying both.

IMG_1038.jpg

The cowling put together. I added a plastic strip to shim out the shape to make it less oval if joined as per kit.

IMG_1037.jpg

Here too, a strip was added to fill the gap. It just would not join,... even after I dry ran the interior parts to see how well the fuselage closed up!

IMG_1040.jpg

Cowling fitted and all smoothed off.

IMG_1041.jpg

Top view and with the circular blanking plate in place which also need to be blended in.

IMG_1039.jpg

Thats it so far. Since these pictures, the wings and tail are in place and photos are to come later.

Edited by Paul J

I've used the kit supplied windows for the main cabin. All they needed was a gentle clean up around the edges and the same to the openings. They fitted well though a tad tight but left no unsightly edges. But they will need careful masking for painting.

Edited by Paul J

• 5 weeks later...

I will be getting back to this next week. I need to regroup in my shed having now cleared the 104 GB. and a couple of other models that were sitting idly waiting to be finished.

So, I'll be working on the Vultee alongside the DC-7 for the other GB.

• 1 month later...

After a bit of time away from this build, I am now back on track following my recent finish elsewhere of the DC-3.

Here are some pics of some more recent work.

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

These few pics show main assembly having been carried out. Such as blending of joins, addition of the vac form cockpit cover( no mean feat this. Met with probs and resorted to the second part after spoiling the other one!), Addition of exhausts(resin parts), venturi and undercart and ready for painting. The white centreline at the nose is the plastic strip added to fill the gap.

Edited by Paul J

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

Various views of progress for this GB. Primed and painted. Some remedial work is needed around all the clear parts and the orange given a second coat. Decals next and final addition of any remaining parts. Hopefullly get this done in time before the deadline. Then I can get on a decide a Mossie to build!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers chaps. I got a bit frustrated last night with Photobucket so forgot to comment here of the finish of this build. I'm fairly happy with the result though should have spent a bit more time on correcting some of the missing features. But time was running out and had other things on the go that got in the way.

It was Alcladded with Testors acrylic paint in the sachet for the orange that seemed to match the decal quite well. The orange spinner was added just to use up the part and painted to match the nose cowl.

But, as has been mentioned above it is a quite iconic beast of the period.

Thanks again.

Paul.