Navy Lynx helicopter models

jaw

I am thinking about adding a 1/72 scale RN Lynx helicopter to my ever growing list of kits to make, and would appreciate guidance on which kit is the most accurate. I am aware that Airfix have produced the HAS3 and HMA8 variants and I am aware that HobbyBoss have also made a variety of Lynx kits - and I recall that there were comments on BM that there were some inaccuracies in these. So I would appreciate Lynx afficiandos thoughts please.

Thanks,

John

Hi John. Yes the Airfix kit can be built as both as the steel blades are still provided in the new release of the kit along with the BERP blades etc. As for Hobby Boss yes it's nice a more modern kit with better detail. If you have a scratch around on this site I think there is a comparison of both products, maybe in the Pinned Lynx threads. I've recently been dabling with the HB kit and yes it's OK, with more options.I also modified one tot he SA Navy Km 64 using the Scaleworx conversion kit, you can find it on www.scale-rotors.com in the gallery.

Colin on the Africa Station

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If you want a prototype, there's the Matchbox kit. Cheers... ;-)

If you want a proto, there's also the ex-Frog kit... ;-p The MB mould may have been modified (door windows) for one of the Revell releases. The Fujimi kit has also been mentioned briefly. I think those are the five (if the AIrfix are counted as one), all except HB being 30+ (Fujimi) or almost 40 years old.

The Frog/Revell kit is of the prototype with the three window doors and some extra parts in the Revell issue. Not a good kit at all. The Fujimi kit is under 72nd scale and quite basic. Best bet is to go with the Hobby Boss kit but the Airfix kit with some work is still a good possibility. There are some AM parts from Pavla for the HB kit which are worth considering.

Have a look in the Lynx STGB pages, there is lots of pinned info plus all the models in the gallery to see what can be achived.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 1

I am not a fan of the hobby boss kit because to my mind the nose looks wrong and without the blade control arms the rotor head looks like a toy. That doesn't mean with a bit of cross kitting it won't turn out too bad. I did on in Endurance ships flight colours a while ago.

To me the thing that puts me off the airfix one is the exhausts they just look so wrong. I hope lynx 7 has got his mojo back as he is theman for all things lynx. I have just finished building the Argentine lynx and I used a fujumi kit for it when I have taken a photo I will put it up here. I am not too fussy as to it said to be 1/70 scale as I will also put up a picture of all 3 kits built up and let you decide if it looks too far out.

Waiting for Italeri to produce the wildcat after all Agusta Westland is an Italian company hell they may even do the lynx as an army one is long overdue.

Rodders

Ps Lynx 7 has an unfair advantage in that he has a miniaturising gun and just aims it at a real lynx then tells everyone he built it

• Like 2

The Frog/Revell kit is of the prototype with the three window doors and some extra parts in the Revell issue. Not a good kit at all. The Fujimi kit is under 72nd scale and quite basic. Best bet is to go with the Hobby Boss kit but the Airfix kit with some work is still a good possibility. There are some AM parts from Pavla for the HB kit which are worth considering.

Have a look in the Lynx STGB pages, there is lots of pinned info plus all the models in the gallery to see what can be achived.

Colin

Colin have you ever thought of a new set of exhausts and covers for the 1/72 airfix lynx

Colin have you ever thought of a new set of exhausts and covers for the 1/72 airfix lynx

Hi Rodders, not a bad idea but then the door rails need doing... We need soem shrinking pwder to for the 48th kit. Then we'd have a wonderfull 72nd scale Lynx. I think you might wait a long tiem for Italaeri tot produce a Wildcat look waht theu did to the Wessex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin

• Like 1

The Airfix even with its problems is the better shape and at least the rotor head sits at the correct height , the Hobbyboss shape is totally wrong and IMHO a waste of plastic , The best Lynx in 1/72 believe it or not is diecast from Corgi HAS.3, HMA.8, AH.1 and AH.7 are all available. See here for the HMS Manchester HMA.8 http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54580-corgi-lynx-hma8-hms-manchester/

Has anyone seen an article on producing a Lynx AH7 and if so which kit was used?

Thanks in anticipation. Nigel

I bought the polish kit which is rubbish but it has "rough" moulded filters for the back and tow missiles. One day when I am feeling brave I will have a go at it.

Rodders

Has anyone seen an article on producing a Lynx AH7 and if so which kit was used?

Thanks in anticipation. Nigel

Go look in the Lynx STGB, (early last year) there's a shed load of info there re different types.

Colin

I bought the polish kit which is rubbish but it has "rough" moulded filters for the back and tow missiles. One day when I am feeling brave I will have a go at it.

Rodders

Guess you're talking of the Plastyk kit ?

I've bought one of these myself to rob the desert filters and exhausts and use them on the Airfix kit, I can't really think of any other use for that kit.

Speaking of the naval variants, I would agree with those who like the Airfix kit most. It's not perfect by any means, there are anumber of features that need modification and improvements, but remains IMHO the best starting point for an accurate model

Edited by Giorgio N