Vimy Commercial cockpit

Admiral Puff

Starting a new thread so as not to hijack Old Man's one ...

I've just picked up a Maquette Vimy Commercial kit, which comes with a large hole where the cockpit ought to be (ditto, ditto the rest of the fuselage interior, but I'm not so worried about that because it won't be visible). In the absence of any better reference, I propose to add detail based on a standard Vimy bomber cockpit - anyone see a problem with that, or have better references? I'll be doing an Instone aircraft.

I wish I could be of more help, Sir. I set an inquiry in the Classic Airliners forum on the Vernon/Commercial a while ago:

http://www.britmodel...topic=234918926

For what it is worth, an article in Scientific American from August, 1919, had an illustration of the type, specifying dual control in the cockpit:

vmycm_sciam1919.jpg

It seems to me to show dual columns, with wheels in the original Vimy style, but I do not know what it is based on. If I had to guess, I would say rudder pedals rather than twinned rudder bars.

Edited by Old Man

• 5 years later...
On 2 septembre 2012 at 1:17 AM, stevehed said:

I feel I'm in a similar category as the Old Man. The link provides a photo of a Vickers Victoria interior that looks like the layout described by Old Man. As the Commercial was developed into the Vernon which led to the Victoria I can only hope this will help.

Regards, Steve

http://www.ivyandmartin.demon.co.uk/v_victoria.htm

Hi the link provided by stevehed 5 years ago (I know, better late than never ) does not allow to see the pictures. Have you an idea as to how to see  them again ?

thanks

I had an article in the May issue of SAMI last year that might be helpful.

Please note that the decals are rubbish, you may want to contact Mika at Arctic Decals who created a new set for me.

And I noted there was a thread on Britmoddeler before that has numerous images:

Have fun with the Maquette kit, although it will require some modelling skills ;-)

Edited by Pedro1
Additional info found

I have a book published way back in the 60's on the Vimy which also covered the Commercial.

I think (repeat think!) it is still on loan to Jim Travis...but may have been returned and hiding in my piles of books. I will look further.

We can take a really long look over a couple of beers when you come down to civilisation for the next APMA meeting...I am sure it has cockpit details as I started a scratchbuilt fuselage at the time...

DM

On 11/7/2017 at 4:12 AM, David M said:

I have a book published way back in the 60's on the Vimy which also covered the Commercial.

I think (repeat think!) it is still on loan to Jim Travis...but may have been returned and hiding in my piles of books. I will look further.

We can take a really long look over a couple of beers when you come down to civilisation for the next APMA meeting...I am sure it has cockpit details as I started a scratchbuilt fuselage at the time...

DM

Any chance of posting a scan of cockpit/interior information, if any?