1:48 Lancastrian

Admiral Puff

• 5 months later...

You probably aware but Magna models do the 1/72 conversion - I have wondered in the past if it wouldnt be too difficult to use the dimensions and scratch build from there?

Does anyone know of a conversion available for the Tamiya Lancaster?

You probably aware but Magna models do the 1/72 conversion - I have wondered in the past if it wouldnt be too difficult to use the dimensions and scratch build from there?

Firstly, there is no conversion in 48th for the Lancastrian. Secondly, there have only been two conversions in 72nd as far as I am aware. The first from M&E and the second from Magna which appears to be derived from the M&E issue. Both have serious errors.

The first error is in the nose cone which, in both conversions, is too short and much too pointed. This could be overcome by building up and sanding a new smoother and longer profile.

The second error is a bit more serious but can, with work at least in 72nd, be overcome. Both conversions provide only a tail cone to replace the rear turret. This is incorrect as when Chadwick designed the Lancastrian, he designed a completely new rear fuselage from Frame 29 aft, terminating in a slender pointed tail cone. The entire rear fuselage from the construction joint at Frame 27, just aft of the mid upper turret, has a much smoother curve to it in both plan and side view than the Lancaster which, in side and plan view, is virtually straight.

It is just possible to get away with the rear fuselage in 72nd and by building up the new nose but in 48th it would be noticeably "wrong".

One further item. The undersurface of the centre fuselage on the Lancastrian was flat and parallel with the upper surface. The bomb doors on the Lancaster were done away with and the space provided used to install three fuel tanks, each of 400 gallons capacity.

There are photographs around of "Lancastrians" showing the original "bulge" of the bomb doors. These are not Lancastrians but Lancasters fitted with Lancastrian style nose and tail fairings.

HTH

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57

Thanks to both of you - I'd completely forgotten about this post!

I am aware of the problems with the two 1:72 nose fairings - they're plain even to a Mk 1 eyeball inspection and a comparison with any good photo (and I've got copies of several from the Qantas archives - somewhere in the mess ...) only confirms it.

Dennis, you wouldn't happen to know of a set of reliable drawings to show the changed profile of the rear fuselage? I suspect that most of the ones I've seen have been based on the notion that the conversion was done by knocking off the tail turret and replacing it with a fairing, and don't take what you've said into account.

Ta.

Dave

Thanks to both of you - I'd completely forgotten about this post!

Dennis, you wouldn't happen to know of a set of reliable drawings to show the changed profile of the rear fuselage? I suspect that most of the ones I've seen have been based on the notion that the conversion was done by knocking off the tail turret and replacing it with a fairing, and don't take what you've said into account.

Ta.

Dave

Dave,

I have tried like hell to get drawings of the rear fuselage but always come up blank. Even my old Company, BAe, do not have any and BA did not even know that BOAC operated Lancastrians. I have had to construct drawings of the nose cone and revised tail for my own use - oddly enough for a "Lincolnian". As they may be used for commercial purposes in the near future, you will understand that I am reluctant to release them at present.

HTH

Dennis

Ther's been two other 72nd Lancastrian conversions - Contrail included some rough shapes for the nose and tailcones on the earlier York fuselage conversion (itself very basic and the later complete kit was like Tamiya by comparision) and the second was a resin nose and tailcone intended to fit the Revell Lanc but it fits the Airfix (1979) one with little or no trouble. Can't remember who it was by but it was fairly recent - 2009? - and there was also a transport Halifax by the same outfit.