de Havilland 89A Rapide/Dominie

galgos

I'm modelling the recently released Isradecal 1/48th DH89A. The kit is a mixture of resin, vacuform and PE so I'm looking forward to the challenge. The rigging will be done using turnbuckles from "Bob's Buckles", the first time I've used them but I very much like the models that I've seen where they've been used.

boxcover.jpg

wings.jpg

fuselage.jpg

engines.jpg

wheelsetc.jpg

struts.jpg

seats.jpg

canopy.jpg

instructions.jpg

In contrast to the many very bright and colourful paint finishes that will be displayed on this GB, mine's goes to be boring old WW2 camouflage because I'm doing it as a wireless op trainer as flown from No. 2 Wireless School Yatesbury so a few minor modifications and additions will be necessary such as a DF loop, radio sets etc.

gbpic.jpg

Good luck to all

Max

Edited by galgos

Well I suppose it is fairly pricey, but then again I don't have a "stash" of kits - I only buy those that are relevant to my on-going project of building aircraft that the Lancaster crew that I'm researching would have flown during their training (Tiger Moth, Oxford, Anson, Wellington etc etc) and only then in 1/48th scale, so I'm going to have to wait a long time for a Stirling I'm afraid!

The particular Dominie shown in the wartime photograph is HG691, the very same one that now resides and flies at Duxford!

Max

Edited by galgos

This should be something special Max.

I've seen some great results with Bob's Buckles, but never tried them myself. I look forward to seeing how you get on....

Cheers

Cliff

Made a bit of a start today, mainly cutting out the ailerons on the wings and the fuselage. It's interesting that the rudder and elevators are moulded separately but not the ailerons, so for me this was a "must do"! I'm very impressed with the fineness and quality of the resin parts - good rendition of fabric with the spar edges showing through and a particularly good touch is that all the drilling points for the rigging are shown, that makes life a lot easier.

wingsfirst.jpg

The jury is still out on the vacu-form fuselage - it certainly looks more true than the Sanger Oxford that I started but have yet to finish, so I hope it'll be up to standard.

precutout.jpg

fuselagetrimmed.jpg

Regards

Max

• 3 weeks later...

At last a chance to do a bit of modelling! I've cut out the windows, not as easy as it sounds......one false move and all that:

fuselageexterior.jpg

Holes have been drilled for the turnbuckles at the aft end and for the tailplane/elevator fitment/operation.....

and made a tentative start on the interior:

fuselageintnose.jpg

The plane will be modelled with 2 trainee w/ops, an instructor and pilot so some major surgery (to them) is taking place to get the crew fitted:

twocrew.jpg

It was at this point that I discovered that I'd lost the pilot's seat, God knows where that has gone. Anyway, since I bought the kit directly from Isradecal, I e-mailed Ra'anan Weiss pleading temporary insanity and he replied within 10 minutes saying a replacement seat will be in the post tomorrow morning! What service.

I've sprayed the first coat of the interior the standard wartime green though there's much dirtying up to be done next (apparently a biscuit tin was carried for the trainees to vomit in when feeling airsick - they paid groundcrew half a crown to clean the plane out!). I've also got to scratch-build a few radio sets and related gubbins.

I did a trial fit of the (resin) wings to the (vacuform) fuselage.......not a fit made in heaven so much filling and sanding's anticipated.

More soon I hope.

Max

• 1 month later...

DSC_7741.jpg

crew3.jpg

crew1.jpg

crew2.jpg

I've had to do some major surgery to the crew, poor devils, since I found that when "entire" they wouldn't fit inside the fuselage. So on this particular training session they're all legless, including the skipper! The radio equipment for the forward trainee and the one at the rear is ready but not yet added.

Max

• Like 1

• 1 year later...