Glencoe 1/48 Venom FB.4 - the start of madness..

Karl

I've had this kit sitting in my stash for years and I fancied doing a De Havilland 'twin-boom' jet so out it came. I could have gone for the excellent Airfix Sea Vixen or, If I actually wanted a Venom, I could have gone for the Aeroclub Venom I have in the stash - but where would the fun in that be? Besides I love to make things difficult for myself...

So, the Glencoe 1/48 Venom FB.4; it's definitely a bit of a dog. Very indeterminate details, no cockpit, I've heard the canopy described as looking like a piece of broken beer bottle, no intakes (just blanks) no wheel wells - the list goes on... and I certainly don’t know if the shape is anything like accurate (I doubt it though…)

As usual I shall attempt to use as much of the original kit as is inhumanly possible, including the faulty canopy and the decals, with copious amounts of added scratch building. My only concession might be an aftermarket seat if I have one.

So to start, I’ve drilled out the four cannon ports under the nose (they were just vague troughs in the underside) and passed a length of rod into each hole and fettled it in to make it look like some sort of gun port.

The intakes were just blanks, so these have been cut out and I will be adding some trunking to the inside.

7-4.jpg

I have also removed the vague jet-pipe from the rear of the fuselage and enlarged the hole enough to fit a length of plastic tube to form the new jet-pipe.

2-5.jpg

Looking at the top of the fuselage, I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the canopy (no jokes please!!) and it appears that the rear of the canopy is moulded on to the fuselage.

4-5.jpg

As I want to pose the canopy open to reveal the completely empty cockpit, I have cut the rear canopy from the fuselage and will attach this to the rear of the canopy and then fudge this all together.

3-5.jpg

Karl

You have a challenge. I think I have this kit in my small stash, so I'll follow with interest.

Thanks Jim,

I don't think it's ever going to be an exercise on how to build the most accurate Venom, however it's better than just never attempting it at all :)

Karl

An interesting project. That canopy looks like it just hasn't moulded properly. As such and given the amount of work you are planning, I think I would be looking at replacing it .

Martin

Edited by martin hale

I have this one in my stash, bought from the warehouse at Lowestoft during a sudden rush of blood away from the head once upon a time. I've been trying to forget I had it now for a while, but if you can manage it, I might give it a go at some point :)

Thanks for the encouragement chaps :thumbsup2:

The canopy fits the hole in the fuselage perfectly, although I think it's just a tad too wide, although this might be an illusion as the rear of the canopy is moulded on to the fuselage.

My picture above of the canopy is shown with half of the bit I cut off the fuselage has just been placed next to it. The other half is yet to be cut from the other half of the fuselage and added to the back of the clear part of the canopy. I think it's quite hard to describe in words to be honest.

Karl

Edited by Karl

• 3 weeks later...

I've not been working on the Venom for a bit as I've been back to work after our summer holiday; so I have been a bit tired out, living on a simple work-sleep-work-sleep pattern.... but I have a bit more energy now :)

I have been looking for and at some plans on the internet for the Venom, trying to figure out where the wheel wells and panels lines should be and not meeting with much success I thought I'd go for broke and dig out the 1/48 Aeroclub Venom FB.4 kit from my stash to compare the two..

Oh dear........

I knew that the Glenco kit was never going to be the last word in accuracy, but gee-whiz.... the pictures will give you some idea of the depth of my problems/despair/frustrations

I've aligned the Glenco wing on top of the Aeroclub wing to compare size...

10-3.jpg

And on top of the plans included in the kit that are in 1/48 scale...

11-2.jpg

12-2.jpg

I attached the 'wing' to one half of the fuselage to compare against the plans, positioning at various points...

13-2.jpg

14-1.jpg

And the fuselage nose parts. the front of the nose isn't too bad, nor it the cockpit opening, but the rest...

15-1.jpg

16-1.jpg

So as you see, quite a bit off... I guess (no calculations done) it's about 1/60th scale in places, 1/48 in others. The booms are also far too short and the moving tail plane is far too narrow. But to be fair, the box does say 'approximately' 1/48...

I have no idea where to go from here; I may just give up trying to make it any thing like accurate, and just build it as it is, given I already have the accurate Aeroclub kit waiting for me to build it if I want and accurate Venom FB.4...

Karl

Edited by Karl

08.jpg

from the looks of things you may need to stretch the fuselage a bit then find some suitable swept wings and vertical stabilizer but it might just be doable for a man of your extraordinary skills :P

Edited by hacker

08.jpg

from the looks of things you may need to stretch the fuselage a bit then find some suitable swept wings and vertical stabilizer but it might just be doable for a man of your extraordinary skills :P

Thanks Hacker,

I think I might have a go at this as I've always like the Swallow.

I can extend the fuselage and I would scratch build the wings.

Karl

Edited by Karl

always glad to help. I knew the airframes looked the same so l passed my inspiration off on you to run with it. You will receive the bill for my consultation fee in the mail in the morning :P

I had one of these and I did waste some time adding more detail, I even started to paint it externally.....But I lost the plot and it ended up in the garden as a target for the air rifle.....Some of us never grow up...Or even pretend to!

Edited by Rev.Light

You are a very brave man! I think this kit has its origins in the old Lincoln (later Kader) kit from the 1950s. It might even have been copied up from the original Frog 1/72 kit.

It is the Lincoln International kit, and along with the Bristol Sycamore that Glencoe also re-popped, it is actually box-scale. I don't think it has has any Frog heritage but the Lincoln Gannet was copied from Frog kit with the addtion of a proper cockpit.

Isn't it great when you get few like minded modellers together they can come up with a solution to make silk purse out of a Venoms whatever!

The Lincoln/Gelcoe Sycamore is mentioned above, it's not quite 72nd scale but has some reasonable detail for it's day especially the main rotorhead. With some work (as usual) it could turn into quite a nice model. It would look quite at home amongst other choppers of the same-ish scale.

Colin on the Africa Station

Oof, I (finally) made it out to my storage unit yesterday and I found one of these in the first box I opened. I left it there but I will be interested in seeing what you do with yours.

I'm pretty sure it was a Squadron super sale or something as I don't remember buying anything in the entire box of stuff.