King Tiger 1/35

Parabat

Interesting that the Tiger etch set includes the armour plates for the engine grills, In my references I've only seen that on Panthers in Italy and late war King Tigers and don't recall it being fitted to the Tiger I

Edit: Yes, the etch is for the King Tiger, but since Steve and Andy's post I've not been able to find any pictures of it in use on a King Tiger.

Any links? I still think I might not use it, just to simplify things a bit.

Edited by Parabat

I have an drawing of it in Achtung Panzer Number 6 and it show the plates fitted from December 1944 so that would probably be the final production model. If you want to get serious about German armour, pick an actual vehicle as it can be a nightmare sorting out all the diferences between early, middle and late production versions.....I KNOW :D

• 2 years later...

Nice work on the camo mate!

How did you get the dotted effect through the different colours? Looks bang on!

Dave

I just used a 02 paintbrush and some thinned Humbrol enamels to do the dappling. It's a challenge to not make a predictable pattern!

Looking great! Has it really been sitting on your shelf for more than two years?

Which colours did you use?

I can't wait for the next installment.

I used (all Humbrol enamels) 83 for the yellow base, 116 for the green and 160 for the red brown.

Thanks guys.

Lumpy - I started out with the yellow base, then tried freehand spraying the green. It was just too much, with quite a lot of overspray. So I bit the bullet and brush painted the brown and then brush painted the green. I used a 001/002 brush for the dapple splotches. You can't really see the green on brown dapple or vice versa, but it's there.

That is superb camo Parabat and brush painted! I'm a brush painter so am hoping I can emulate (to a degree) your talent when I get around to trying some larger armour. Well done.

Thanks Plastix, to be honest I just used the formula that a friend who only brush paints uses for Humbrol Enamels - stir very, very thoroughly and thin to the consistency of semi-skimmed milk. Use a clean brush and don't be tempted to do it in one go. Darker over lighter and Bob's your uncle.

I did also spray the base yellow (took about 5 layers as it just wouldn't build up opacity).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

looking great- i have just finished my tammy tiger 2 with porsche turret and hopefully there is a 1/35 king tiger ardennes front in my xmas stocking! Am currently building their panther g late and painted it in ambush camo- may spray a light misting of ts3 dark yellow over the brush painted camo to tone it down a bit.

Keith