silly question / blue angles cougar markings

scorpion

i just bought a hasegawa 1/72 grumman cougar on line and plan on doing it in blue angles scheme.just wondering if the decals from a 1/72 grumman panther will do for the cougar apart from the underwing "us navy" decals as the cougar has swept wings [i have a spare set of the panther decals,hence my question],thanks

Hi Scorpion,

Contrary to what most people think, the Panther and Cougar were not virtually the same aircraft, they were actually quite different. In fact only the nose section was of common construction. So as far as the decals are concerned I think the US NAVY titles on the nose of the Panther, though looking to be the same font, are larger than those on the Cougar. The underwing titles could (I think) be used as they are just slanted level with the l/e of the swept wing instead of the straight one. There are also Blue Angels script titles on the rear fuse sides of the Cougar that the Panther does not have and the bu no's are also different - So I think overall the answer is no. :fraidnot:

Tony R

Hi Scorpion,

Contrary to what most people think, the Panther and Cougar were not virtually the same aircraft, they were actually quite different. In fact only the nose section was of common construction. So as far as the decals are concerned I think the US NAVY titles on the nose of the Panther, though looking to be the same font, are larger than those on the Cougar. The underwing titles could (I think) be used as they are just slanted level with the l/e of the swept wing instead of the straight one. There are also Blue Angels script titles on the rear fuse sides of the Cougar that the Panther does not have and the bu no's are also different - So I think overall the answer is no. :fraidnot:

Tony R

Actually, the -5 Panther and the -6 Cougar shared a lot more than the nose. In fact the Cougar prototypes were created from -5 Panthers taken off the production line.

F9F-5vs-6.jpg

The -8 Cougar that the Blues used was a bit more modified, with a longer forward fuselage and extended wing/body fillets. See http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/11/f9f-6-vs-f9f-8-cougars.html

Hi Turtle,

I agree the initial prototype development came from the Panther, but the similarities between the two were limited to just the forward fuse section being used in the F9F-6 design. As it stood the Cougar became it's own aircraft with the development of more reliable powerplants and more research into swept wing design. The F9F-7 having the more powerful J-33 engine and the F9F-8 having increased wing surface area and extended fuselage..... Plus as you say the 'Angels' mounts also had other modifications.

Tony R :pilot: