L-39C Albatross "Patrouille Breitling"

After a couple more coats, she looks like this...

DSC_3922.jpg

The model is still wet in the picture and I am quite pleased with the finish. There are some imperfections, but I will put them down to experience! A night in the airing cupboard and I hope to start decalling tomorrow, so I haven't quite managed the "weekend" that Eduard planned for me!

what paint did you use as in my stash i have ,from the xtracolour range,"frecce tricolori" blue,"blue angles" blue and "blue angles f/a-18" blue and all 3 appear to be a close enough match [all 3 are gloss paint]

Hi Scorpion

I did a search on FS15050, as called out on the Kopro instructions. The answer was "Blue Angels Blue". I know there have been different hues, but I decided to go with the Xtracolor 163 "Blue Angels Blue F/A18 Hornet", as I had it "in stock".

Hope that helps.

Hi Scorpion

I did a search on FS15050, as called out on the Kopro instructions. The answer was "Blue Angels Blue". I know there have been different hues, but I decided to go with the Xtracolor 163 "Blue Angels Blue F/A18 Hornet", as I had it "in stock".

Hope that helps.

it sure does.as i have said i have that paint myself....now another question...did you use a primer and then matt paint before the gloss?

Hi Scorpion

I am a real airbrush virgin, so following advice on BM, I decided to splash out on Alclad Primer. I bought it from Paul at little-cars and have found it to be very smooth, compared to the Halfords Primer that I used to use when brush-painting. However, I did notice that it seemed to be consumed quicker than my 50:50 mix enamels.

I applied a couple of light coats of primer and then lightly sanded the model with fine MicroMesh before applying the first blue coat.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

Hi Scorpion

I am a real airbrush virgin, so following advice on BM, I decided to splash out on Alclad Primer. I bought it from Paul at little-cars and have found it to be very smooth, compared to the Halfords Primer that I used to use when brush-painting. However, I did notice that it seemed to be consumed quicker than my 50:50 mix enamels.

I applied a couple of light coats of primer and then lightly sanded the model with fine MicroMesh before applying the first blue coat.

Hope that helps.

sweet :thumbsup:

Thanks, chaps. I peeled the masking off with some trepidation, but was generally pleased with what I found....

DSC_3924.jpg

DSC_3923.jpg

A little tidying up to do, but on with the decalling now!

PS The paint is not as inconsistent as it appears in the photos, the glossy paint is reflecting from the conservatory roof - honest!

Thanks Parabat! I've got about 40% of the decals on. They are quite nice to work with, but there are some "fit" issues! The large yellow fin decal is the wrong shape for the Eduard fin and the yellow stripe that runs from the jet pipe to just in front of the intake was far too long. I ended up breaking it in 2 places trying to get it to fit! When I do the other side, I will cut the stripe into 2 pieces before soaking it to make it easier to manage.

I hope to have most of the decals sorted this evening.

Thanks, Andy! :winkgrin:

I have got all the decals (almost!) on and attached the undercarriage. The large "BREITLING" legend on the underside needed to be cut into several pieces to ensure a good fit and to attach parts of letters to the main gear doors that still need to be glued to the legs.

I am bemused that the large decals are too big for the kit. I had to cut a reasonable length off the underside stripe; cut a lot off the wing stripes and cut the side stripe in half and then overlap one length onto the other to make it fit.It's almost as if I have decals for a 1/48 kit!! :thumbsdown:

Anyway, enough moaning! Here are the latest shots. Some minor work still to do on the decals and paintwork, but I'm almost there now!

In my haste, I forgot to add straps to the otherwise very nice cockpit.

DSC_3925.jpg

DSC_3926.jpg

Yep I was right, she does build up to a very nice little kit, and you've done an excellent good job on this one too AD,

Well done that man!!, Congratulations. :clap: I'm quite suprised with what you say about the decals though . the black set I've got seem to be fine . Anyway I'll be finding out for myself soon, as I have just had an idea for one of my next builds which will require those decals.

Tony R

Thanks, guys.

I agree that the blue and yellow does look very classy, but the current black, anthracite grey and metal grey livery is really modern and stylish. I might have to finish one of these kits in that livery as well, although the masking might be beyond me!

The decals themselves Tony, are thin and settle nicely and only broke when I tried to move them too much due to them being over-sized. The yellow tail decals are also over-sized and the wrong shape, but I can live with them, as it is quite an unusual and colourful addition to my display cabinet. :winkgrin:

The Team's website is very slick and informative, and there's also an English language PDF brochure available for download: http://www.breitling-jet-team.com/accueil.html

Well, she's all finished! My first airbrushed model is ready to join the display hangar. The finish is far from perfect, but I am generally pleased with the result.

As mentioned above, my biggest disappointment was with the KOPRO decals, which were too large, but it is an eye-catching model and a nice way to end my participation in the GB.

I will take some pictures tomorrow in daylight.

Hello all

She's finished! My only additions were the two white aerials on the underside that I cut from plastic sheet.

I thought that the model looked a bit too glossy, so brushed on some Winsor & Newton Satin Varnish, but I now think she's not glossy enough!

I might still do a Paynes Grey wash to lift the detail.

Thanks for looking. I will post more in the Gallery.

DSC_3927.jpg

DSC_3931.jpg