Welcome and GB rules

AnonymousDFB1

Rules are pretty simple;

Kit's must not be more than 25% started at the start of the GB (00:01hrs 1st September) Hosts discretion is final.

Subject aircraft must have flown between November 1918 and September 1939.

That's it for now, I'll add anything relevant I can think of.

Having discussed it with Smuts, we've decided that we won't be having a poll to decide which is best etc, as in our eyes we'll all be winners and the point is to build models.

We just want this GB to be a celebration of 'The Golden Era', a time when engineers imaginations ran wild.

• Like 2

I'm in full agreement with this idea, modelling doesn't need to have a competitive edge to it in my opinion (unless you enjoy submitting your finished masterpiece at an exhibition of course, but that's a different matter to a GB)

Max

I have a few MPM kits. Was thinking of one of the Lockheed Vegas or the Special Hobby Vultee from the box scheme wearing the American Airlines style trim.

OR.... maybe the Valom SARO Cloud!!!

BTW where were those Tigers? Don't look like Shoreham!

Edited by Paul J

Sounds like a good GB - First one I'm thinking of signing up to...

Airfix 1/72nd Ford Trimotor? Or as it's in a pre 72 boxing would it be worth saving it for the Obsolete Kit GB?

Likewise I have the options of Matchbox Swordfish and Walrus but the marking options are post 1939? Would these be OK? :hmmm:

The Trimotor would be the best option as I'd really like any subject chosen to have been in the air between the wars. I know the aircraft were Interwar designs, but ideally the actual aircraft you're modelling should have flown between the wars.

Welcome to the GB.

:bye:

The Ford is an interesting one. I have a part built one. Not sure if its within the regs of 25%, but I had plans to do a RCAF one of the 30's. But will have to see if how far its gone as it was given to me, part built, after the departing of one of our clubs greatest builder of between the wars aircraft and his fondness of the yellow wing US Navy aircraft.

But don't let that stop you with yours Bonhoff.

Edited by Paul J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi peeps. Can I join the party? I would aim to make the old ESCI 1:48 P-36A Hawk, using the Falcon Clear-Vac canopy and June 1939 era 16th Pursuit Group US Army decals from Starfighter Decals. If I get a chance, I would also want to make the Classic Airframes 1:48 Brewster F2A-1 Buffalo in the early VF-3 USS Saratoga colours

CIMG8867.jpg

CIMG8868.jpg

Icarus

Slight change of plan. Having wandered through a certain model shop not a million miles from Colindale this afternoon, I have purchased this modern tooling of the P-36A. Will still use the Starfighter decals to represent a pre-war 16th Pursuit Group a/c.

Icarus

CIMG8871_zpsb7129728.jpg

Very nice. Recessed panel lines, decent cockpit, canopy thin enough to mount open.

I'll include some sprue photos when I finally finish the 617 Sqn Blue Steel Tin Triangle I am labouring with, and get a chance to start on this...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus