1/35 SD.KFZ 8 DB10 12t and 88 Flak 37 builds

mobydog

Mike I was intrigued by the fact that only a few were built (20-30) and the variation was relatively unknown until one was dragged dragged out of a river in Poland a few years ago.(Probably by Tony Robinson and Phil Harding ha ha). It was restored and Trumpeter used it as the basis for their kit.

Andy

I have the Dragon "88" in my stash. I shall be watching this with interest.

Likewise. I agree it looks very scary opening the box, it's brim-full with stuff and much of it is tiny!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Following the c*ck up on my bus, I have put it to one side until I can face putting it right. So I am going to start these two. Well the tractor anyway.

The sd.kfz.8 DB10 is an armoured version of the 12t gun tractor. It is an enigmatic beast as it was relatively unknown until one was dragged from the Pilica River in Poland In the late 1990's.

It had suffered explosive damage and was believed to have been in the river since late 1945.

25.jpg

27.jpg

sd8.jpg

Because of it's rarity there has been conjecture as to whether this was a prototype vehicle. Some believe that 20-30 were built. Without any evidence to the contrary,

I dont think anyone really knows. The prototype theory seems to be supported by the fact that only three contemporary photographs exist. These are they:-

Vorbild_02.jpg

Vorbild_01.jpg

SdKfz_8_armoured_001.jpg

The river discovery was restored and is now on display at the Tomaszow Museum and looks like this

P1010651.jpg

This is the example that Trumpeter based their kit on. (Well it would have to be as there aren't any others) The restorers had to make many educated guesses whilst rebuilding because of the extensive damage so

consequently the kit may not be a totally accurate representation of the original vehicle. However, without the original drawings no one can know the difference!

Here is a video of the restored monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA4sSIm4yEw

And here is a link to a Polish site that has a bit of a walk around http://www.odkrywca.pl/galerie.php?nazwa=lufcik

There are two different sets of tyres within the kit. It appears that because the restored version has pneumatic tyres, Trumpeter have followed suit. It seems that the original had solid road tyres and I have ordered

resin replacements thus http://www.mrmodellbau.com/_shop/product_info.php?info=p632_MR-35382-Vorderraeder-Sd-Kfz-8-gepanzert.html&XTCsid=08e41a149069a7f5312244de1f2fdaca

As soon as they arrive I will start the build.

Oh one thing occurs. What colour should this be. I am told all late war german vehicles were dark yellow. It appears that most of these tractors were pulling guns for the Luftwaffe. Is the box art correct. I hope not because I dont like it!

(A word on the provenance of the photos. I have been unable to ascertain copyright for them. If you own the copyright and wish them removed from this post please ask and I will gladly comply. Bear in mind that they are only for research purposes and posted for benefit of like minded individuals. There is no financial or personal gain)

Looking good so far, MD!

I do like these esoteric subjects: I did the 18cm Grille Tiger thing they did a few years ago... VERY nice kit, if you fancy something a bit bigger than a Maus??

Yes I know it. Bit of a monster! These two will keep me occupied for a bit I think. The Flak 37 looks very scary.

Yeah, i got the first version here with the crew: it >might< go in the "for sale" section of BM before long.....

Does the halftrak REALLY need replacement wheels? If the tracks are vinyl, i can go with replacements, but wheels?!!?

Anyhoo, i'm in the queue for this one: GOOD LUCK, especially with that FlaK..... (nice transparent dials on it, tho.. check em out!)

Ok. Got the chassis built. This needed a lot of test/dry fitting as it is a complicated (not a criticism) build. Detail is very good and the instructions are excellent for once although some of the isometric

drawings leave the angling of some parts a little ambiguous Here are a few pics and I will use them to point out a couple of things that niggled me.

DSCF0554.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

DSCF0556.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

Here arrowed are parts I had issued with. I think most modellers are generally against moving parts on detailed models replicating the real thing. I loved them as a kid on Airfix

kits. Opening doors, moveable control surfaces, operating steering, the list goes on. The issue is that these lead to problems in realism especially on smaller scale models ie scale of hinges etc, Worse still, they invite people to play with very delicate models like toys. I am even now against rotating props and wheels. So what are Trumpeter doing trying to replicate operating scale steering. The parts involved are so delicate some are 1mm thick. Any "playing" with them would last about 3 seconds. I chose to glue them in place, wheels turned slightly (to give a bit of life). The bits I am talking about are shown below;

DSCF0560.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

Trumpeter also inexplicably give the choice of using wire(supplied) or a styrene part to represent a delicate shaft as below. Why, the part is the same thickness as the wire and if the wire IS

used, it is so soft it is impossible to get straight!

DSCF0561.jpg

Nice photoetch for step on drive sprocketl I thought

DSCF0559.jpg

Anyway priming next. Upwards and onwards...

Andy

Fabulous stuff up to now my friend! Most impressive and not a vehicle that I have seen before.

Trumpy really turn out some great stuff and then kinda baffle ya with something that is either of no use/no additional benefit or grossly overscale. But then, I can live with that as their kits are pretty reasonably priced.

Looking forward to seeing the "37" build. I built the Dragon Flak 18/36 (I think that's its name,,,,LOL) a while back (the one with the crew in winter clothing) and was very, very impressed by it. The most difficult aspect was working out which bits to paint before assembly and which you can build into sub-assemblies. So good luck with it.

Regards

Pete