1/32nd scale Boeing B-29 from the ID Models Vacform - FINISHED

I don't think it is that bonkers. Interesting, fascinating but not mad, Are you opening up the bomb bay?

Martin von My Old Mans A Mushroom

Edited by martin hale
  • Like 1

I don't think it is that bonkers. Interesting, fascinating but not mad, Are you opening up the bomb bay?

Martin von My Old Mans A Mushroom

Yes bomb bay will be opened and some form of payload added... eventually...

If I go for Kee Bird it'll be long-range fuel tanks which will simplify things somewhat, rather than havng to source (and then remortgage my house) for a load of aftermarket bombs...

This is unbelieveable work I'm so glad I followed this thread your a master of the modelling arts my friend, I just hope that oneday I can be a quarter of the moedeller you are.

Definitely keep the master. If you try and mould a resin part the RTV may react with the resin and cause the copy to come out undersized. Apparently there are two 'flavours' of resin and the two must never be allowed to come in contact with each other even indirectly.

I am watching your build with great interest. What is the thickness of the fuselage plastic? It seems thicker than what I am used to seeing. Carl T :thumbsup2:

Carl,

The plastic is about 1.5mm - it needs to be too due to the sheer size of the thing!

Tom

Tom i've got a question. I assume this kit doesn't come with props, so how do you tackle such a job? Make one and cast it 16 times?

Hi Radleigh,

Yes you are right - no props provided but I have a very cunning plan. All will be revealed when I get to that stage incase I fall flat on my face!

Tom

very cool mate - what did you use for the bulkheads, a contour gauge?

I used a set of dividers and a compass. Firstly I set the dividers to the width of the fuselage which gave me the diameter, then halved it. When the compass was set to size, I simply drew circles on the card and cut it out.

It's a great help that the fuselage is round, too!

• Like 1

I've made some progress on the forward part of the flightdeck.

The first job was to add the framework found on the floor, remove the nose landing gear bay crew entry door and make what is I presume the amour plate bulkhead behind the pilots' seats:

DSCF5542-1.jpg

Then it was on to some good old fashioned scratch-building. Out came the plasticard, evergreen strip and milliput to make the forward part of the cockpit interior. The spares box was also extensively raided, with varius left over resin parts from my B-17 and B-24 used to assist in making the consoles etc:

DSCF5623.jpg

DSCF5627.jpg

DSCF5625.jpg

DSCF5628.jpg

It won't win any prizes for total accuracy, but I think it's a reasonable representation of the real thing.

I've also built the crew tunnel which connects the forward and rear pressure compartments. It started life as an off-cut of 22mm plastic piping, with evergreen strip added to represent the prominent ribbing found on the real aircraft. This will provide a nice strong join between the two interior areas to help keep everything nice and rigid:

DSCF5630.jpg

Now I'll be tackling the rear of the forward compartment, where the engineer, radio operator and navigator were stationed.

Tom

• Like 3

Some truly exceptional work here Tom, this has become one of those builds where I can't help but get a little bit excited about your latest updates (as sad as that may be!).

Keep up the great work pal!

Nik