1/32nd scale Boeing B-29 from the ID Models Vacform - FINISHED

This monster has been in my to do pile for a few years now, but having just returned from a trip to the USA, I have finally been given the inspiration I need to get started.

First up, I came face to face with Enola Gay:

DSC_0990.jpg

Then Bocks Car:

DSC_1380.jpg

And most impressive of them all was seeing FIFI at the Thunder Over Michigan Airshow:

DSC_1714.jpg

Even better, I got to go inside her:

DSC_1772.jpg

DSC_1769.jpg

...and whilst holding that iconic Boeing control column I decided there and then that when I got home this was going to be my next long term, vacform project.

The kit itself is enormous, I've not seen one bigger, although I think the 1/48th B-52 also from ID Models could well pip it to the post.

Here is the fuselage at a whopping 36" - the 'small' fuselage next to it is the Monogram 1/48th B-29:

DSCF5493.jpg

And the wings - a quick measure gives a span of approx. 54". Again, the 'small' wings are the Monogram 1/48th kit:

DSCF5495.jpg

This was a very old unwanted kit at some point and the stabilsers are missing; instead I have a spare set from a Combal Models 1/32nd B-17 which with some modification will substitue nicely:

DSCF5496.jpg

The transparencies were also missing in my kit, so Tigger WIlkes (who has the molds for these now) kindly made me a new set - they are beautifully clear too!

DSCF5497.jpg
Again a nice size comparison - here is a 1/48th cowling compared to 1/32nd:

DSCF5492.jpg

As I'm sure you can see from the photo's this is a very basic kit indeed. Altough very accurate shapewise, the kit is devoid of any panel detail, interior, undercarriage, wheel bays, propellers and engines - it's certainly going to be a challenge!

The Monogram kit will be used as a guide for scribing and the interior parts. I plan to have a fully detailed interior, wheel bays and open bomb-bays which will all need to be built from scratch. As for the undercarriage, engines and propellers... well I'll cross those bridges as I come to them! Having built Combat Models' B-17 and B-24 in 1/32nd scale and ID's 1/32nd Lancaster too, I know from experience that something usually turns up, and if not... improvise!

I've always got a few projects on the go so this one will probably be picked up and put down as with long term builds like this you often need a break and a freshen up!

I've pretty much got all the references I need to get started on the flightdeck, so hopefully I'll be able to cut some plastic soon.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 4

That is -ing ginormous!!!!

Looking forwards to reading on -- do you have a specific aircraft you are making?

• Like 2

That is -ing ginormous!!!!

Looking forwards to reading on -- do you have a specific aircraft you are making?

Yes she's a big girl!!

Regarding a scheme - I'm leaning towards The Kee Bird - made infamous by the failed recovery attempt from the Greenlad ice in the early 1990's. If it goes wrong I can always set alight to it and make a diorama! :weep:

If not I may well go for Enola Gay... we'll see.

Regarding a scheme - I'm leaning towards The Kee Bird - made infamous by the failed recovery attempt from the Greenlad ice in the early 1990's. If it goes wrong I can always set alight to it and make a diorama! :weep:

If not I may well go for Enola Gay... we'll see.

Whoa! Hold it right there! This just HAS to be a SAC bird.

W

That wouldn't even fit on my workbench. :yikes:

It wouldn't fit in my postcode!

When it is finished are you going to take another picture with you at it's controls?

Edited by NickR

Excellent - looking forward to this - bet you overtake my project! :)

I was tempted to do one with the X-1 in the belly - maybe one day.

And - yes - Tigger's transparencies are far better than the originals!

Iain

Tom,

Stick with that scheme. I watched the documentary on the recovery that they made (I was less than 10 at the time) and it was one of the saddest things I'd seen in my life. Even now it puts a large lump in my throat - and even this post isn't being written in a rosy atmosphere!

I can't think of a better way to commemorate it and the team who recovered it than applying its livery to your model.

If you don't know the story of The Kee Bird, the documentary is entitled B29 Frozen in Time or alternatively Treasure of the Humboldt Glacier. Please take some time to watch it - it's a fantastic programme that's both informational and evocative.

On that depressing note, keep going with this build - whatever you choose, it'll look great when it's done ;)

Tim

• Like 1

The Kee Bird was a sad story alright, especially when you consider that one of the guys basically worked himself to death trying to recover it. I think this would be a nice tribute, and would look absolutely awesome stood on a frozen lake diorama. Trouble is, where could you find with enough room to display it?

Kee-bird would be fantastic -- either ready to take off or a diorama of the repairs

So would a Washington (I have a monogram B29 which may, some day, become one)

wow good luck! I'm currently making the combat models 1/32 B-17, again with a massive amount of interior scratching so I know the challenge you face - but this will be awesome to watch!

As for paint schemes - could you be tempted with a Korean War machine? There are so many great nose art pics on the web of a/c from that time...

Hi

I have seen a lot of people starting ID Models vacforms - but I don't quite recall seeing any of them actually finished? To call the parts 'rough' must be the understatement of the milennium. Yes it looks like a B-29 - but to build it so that it will look even remotely acceptable compared to say the Monogram kit will take ages and a lot of scratchbuilding in the process. I would say - build the Monogram kit first to get the feel of the aircraft and see how long that takes and then go on to the ID Models kit if you still feel for it. Just a thought.

Best regards

Flemming

Hi

I have seen a lot of people starting ID Models vacforms - but I don't quite recall seeing any of them actually finished? To call the parts 'rough' must be the understatement of the milennium. Yes it looks like a B-29 - but to build it so that it will look even remotely acceptable compared to say the Monogram kit will take ages and a lot of scratchbuilding in the process. I would say - build the Monogram kit first to get the feel of the aircraft and see how long that takes and then go on to the ID Models kit if you still feel for it. Just a thought.

Best regards

Flemming

Flemming,

I have seen what Tom can do with brutal vacs, and I have absolutely no doubt he'll pull something quite a bit more than "remotely acceptable".

Look for his Shackleton AEW2 and his AIM 747, you'll see what I mean.

For ID vacs, check Darius' magnificent C-133.

Cheers,

Sebastien

Hi

Best regards

Flemming

I have lots of customers who have actually built these models and turned them into some truely amazing models. Yes granted they are basic and this is their attraction for it means they are a blank canvas which you the modeller / Artist can do some magic. I make no excuse for the fact of their basic nature, they were all made by a few individuals who wanted one for themselves then made them available for others to buy and build. Plain and simple what pleases some may not be others idea of a modelling challenge.

Regards

John

Tom I am going to watch this one closely too.

Edited by tigger
  • Like 3