Hello Everyone

i just got an Airfix 747, the series 8 British Airways adition. id lke to do a Highland Express Airways 747 using the kit, but im not sure if it has the correct engines, so can some onetell me does the Airfix 747 have the correct engines for this airliner?

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=169415

Also i have the old Revell 747sca, it doesnt have a shuttle or any shuttle parts, so im going to do it as a boeing 747-100, so does this one have the right engines for the BOAC Airliners?

Any one know?

Thanks Bradley

Bradley,

The Airfix 747 does indeed have the correct engines for Highland Express, as will the Revell 747SCA to do a BOAC 747-100. The Revell engines are better however, as the Airfix examples have a deep 'rim' around the cowling as if it has the thrust reversers deployed! A qick one over with some filler should sort that though.

Tom

Ok

Thanks Tom.

What are the main problems with the airfix kit?

The wing to fuselage fairing is missng, or rather mis-shapen on the Airfix kit. Also the fin needs thinning down somewhat, too. The engine pylons are also very simplified. Basically, the Airfix issue in my opinion, is a very simple representation of an early 747 - it looks like a Jumbo but that's about it.

When I built mine I left the fairing as it was, and it didn't look too bad, but if you compare it to the Revell kit you can see how undersized it is. If you really want to get an accurate early series 747 I'd use either the Revell one or Welsh Models' new issue.

there are a number of problems with the airfix 747 - however...if your willing to put the time and effort into fixing them, it can be done, but it's a LOT of work

The revell 747 classic (not the -400) is probably the best 747-100/200, the new issue by revell of the Airborn Command Post uses these molds so you can get them atm.

airfix engines -

as Tom says, the easiest fix is to fill the open rim on the engines.

You *could* build the airfix kit oob and it will still look like a 747. Jusdt not a very accurate one, that said, if you build it well, a good model is still a good model.