1/24th Blackburn Buccaneer S2B, 208 squadron

Thanks chaps, appreciate the comments ! Apologies that things have been a bit slow as I have company, a very good friend that I lost contact with from a very long time ago... and a lot of catching up to do, (Facebook at its best). However I've made progress on the Spey facings which were pitted and one quite badly damaged. I thought about filling the holes in but decided that the best route would be to replace the damaged blades completely with card replacements which I did. While I was at it I scribed more compressor vanes onto the base plate which looks more realistic and drilled a couple of 1mm holes into the cones. Next more detail like the circular tube will be added. The outer casing strips were also full of holes so these were cut off and replaced with 12mm Plasticard strips wrapped around,

Before...

P1130707-001-1.jpg

And after...sorry it's a bit washed out with the flash...

P1130712-1.jpg

A concern I had when looking a Stuarts excellent built up models was that the cockpit seats seemed too close together to the point where it would be all but impossible to squeeze a human being into them without serious internal injury ! and so I went about measuring things up a bit and comparing the kit parts to photographs......there certainly was a discrepancy.

In the first photo you can see roughly where the kit parts sit, (the additional front section has already been added)

P1130714.jpg

In this one you can see that with pilots added to the correct separation allowing for pilots legs,pedals, instrument panels and coaming plus glass blast shield the floor has to be lengthened by quite a bit and that the side panels are now too far back and will need removing and sliding forward and the resultant gap filled with resin pieces. My fear was that this meant that the cockpit 'reveal' was too short but thank goodness it isn't !!...the pilot now sits in the right place...(the windshield coaming panel needs to be cut back slightly to accommodate this). I feel that this is a big improvement .

This is one reason why the model wont be a quick build and that it'll be a while before I even think about sploshing any paint on the beast.........(the cockpit itself will take some time to fully furnish and paint....lots of lovely scratch building ahead !).

P1130713.jpg

And in place..you can see how more forward the pilot now sits....

P1130717.jpg

This is the beauty of resin, it can very easily be cut, sanded , shaped and glued in no time.

Some of the heavy artillery needed on this one...only thing missing is a sledgehammer !!

(Oh and for the sake of your lungs don't forget to wet sand and use a respirator mask..... :smartass: ).

P1130715.jpg

I'll be making a list of all relevant measurements as thing progress...

As for pinning the build well it might be a good idea, it'll be up to the mods really.

Cheers all, :cheers:

Melchiecaneer S2

Edited by general melchett

Thanks Stuart, not a criticism, just trying to tweak things to be as good as they can get :winkgrin: . I'll make a note of everything that I can to help you out. I'll also be taking my tape measure to Colins Bucc at the weekend to get every detail that I possibly can.

Hopefully it'll all help, (great thing is it doesn't affect the forward fuselage in any way...purely internal).

OK a little more done this morning, nothing exciting but I managed to cut out and fit the arrestor hook bay, which took a bit of doing as the resin is extremely thick here and was pleased to see that my guesstimate wasn't far off the mark, minimal filling needed, (this is just resin sanded dust)....getting it central was the major headache, the top end has quite a bit of extra resin around the right hand side and will all be sanded back so that it's flush with the airbrake housing sections.

(Sorry forgot to take any piccies of the insert before the area was cut out, see Stuarts build for details),

P1130721.jpg

Also moved the consoles forward to match the seat spacing, just needs a tad more off the inner walls so that the seat can sit snuggly,

P1130723.jpg

Hopefully start cracking along a lot faster next week once this busy bank holiday weekend's over,

I see Stuart is fair flying along with his build...mine will be a Hell of a lot slower as I add more detail prior to fitting and painting parts before assembly. But all in good time, I'm in no rush,

Cheers for looking,

Melch...

G'day General and Stuart,

I think this is a great topic, and of course, a great subject. The fact that Stuart was able to scratchbuild a 1/24 was amazing, but then to turn around and produce a kit was astounding. As the General and Stuart have pointed out however, the limited run nature of this undertaking means that this kit will not be a shake and bake effort and so not for the inexperienced or under-skilled, in short, this is a builder's kit. I like that the General is able to present his build in warts and all approach and that Stuart is taking aboard the criticisms in the spirit in which they are offered. Too many reviewers self censor or gloss over errors and omissions, whilst others seem too enjoy lambasting even the most minor of errors. This is good, honest old fashioned modelling!

carry on,

Pappy

• Like 1

Thanks pappy, that was the agreement that we came to...an honest appraisal, anything else would be pointless. It's no use making it look easy and straightforward coz that it certainly isn't. As long as people know what to expect and can get past the initial enthusiasm of having a giant Buccaneer in their collection then they will be OK with it. A good working knowledge of working with resin and filling techniques is a must with something like this, as is forward planning, I'm definitely still learning as I go along. Ultimately though much like scratch building and vac forming the whole project is very rewarding resulting in a model that is both impressive and pretty unique...

• Like 1

Thanks Marcos, well managed to take a LOT of detail photographs at Bruntingthorpe yesterday which I may well turn into a walk around here on BM if anyone's interested.The plan was to meet Colin at the show and crawl all over his Bucc XX894 but due to delays and the fact that the aircraft were parked at the far end of the airfield we had to wait until the end of the show as the finale was to be both Buccs running under full power down the runway.......unfortunately '894 blew a tyre in spectacular fashion half way down the runway and had to remain at the side of the runway until the wheel was changed at a later date....bugger !!. Luckily the lads looking after XX900 came to the rescue and let me get everything I needed from their machine which was parked up in the main static area.

Sitting in the beast and looking at that cockpit suddenly makes you realise what a mammoth task this is going to be !!....can't wait, will start setting about it tomorrow...

Cheers,

Melchie

Will be watching this with great interest. Something like this can only be achieved with a passion bordering on fanaticism and I know Stuart has loved 'the Brick' since he was a lad...and having someone of Melchie's calibre put it together is going to produce a blinder

Thanks Marcos, well managed to take a LOT of detail photographs at Bruntingthorpe yesterday which I may well turn into a walk around here on BM if anyone's interested.

Oh yes please.................... :thumbsup2:

Tim

Managed to make a start on the cockpit and undercarriage bays.

Firstly the bays which will be built up in layers and primed as sections are finished. Still a lot to add but it's a start,

P1130902.jpg

Each bay on the real thing is packed full of detail, pumps, lines, tubes and actuators. The floors have been added and' riveted' using a pounce wheel,as have the bay walls,

P1130903.jpg

P1130904.jpg

And the cockpit. This has been interesting as Stuarts side consoles are a little too deep and need sanding down. I've added extra sections and floor panels as per photos that I took recentlyThese again have been riveted though you can't see this in the photos thanks to the flash..

P1130905.jpg

The centre panel has been made from Evergreen card and rib detail added, again all very basic at the moment but it gives me an idea where everything needs to go.

P1130906.jpg

Also a new throttle quadrant was made using scrap resin as the kit part is too high and narrow. I found that the best way to deal with this is to saw the side consoles off and work on them away from the model then re glue,the resin is as tough as concrete and needs a lot of good old elbow grease.......

P1130907.jpg

Just to give you some idea of why this model is going to take quite a while to finish.

Chatting to Spence at Bruntingthorpe last Sunday he thought that my estimate of 6-7 month build time was very optimistic..................after looking inside the real thing I think he could well be right !!!

(And yes Tim I'll post the pics as a walkaround.)

Cheers, :cheers:

Melchie....

Hey mate!

Six to seven months?! I'd be amazed!!!

BTW - it was great to see you on sunday and spend some time around those jets - so much fun! I can't wait to get started on my Lightning now - and yes, it will be in camouflage!

See you in a few weeks...

Spence :)

Thanks chaps,

Spence, yep it was good fun wasn't it....the Lightning really made an impact as ever...glad the ear defenders came in handy !!...just wish I'd remembered to pack another pair for myself !! It's a really inspirational day out.

As regards to what we were chatting about I think a Lightning based theme would be a great idea... :whistle:

The plan is to meet up with Colin again and arrange a date for an engine anti det run ...ear plugs are mandatory and it will allow me to get to grips with his Buccaneer, would be great if you could make it too, catch up in a couple of weeks,..

Stuart, thanks...I'll certainly do my level best...

Melchie....

Thanks guys, Ian...it never went away...woof, woof !!

Some more progress made today.It may not look like a lot but if you look closely you'll see I've changed things a fair bit. Still all very basic but a sound foundation for what I intend to do.

Having looked closely at the real thing I feel that the cockpit layout isn't totally representative of the real thing so I've resorted to rebuilding a lot of it, (sorry Stu, nothing personal...honest). It's the only area of the model that needs extra attention to be honest and as it's such a large 'coal hole' and the interior so visible I think it's worth spending a fair bit of time on it. I'll be making up a guide on how to fix it a bit later on.

The side consoles were all sawn off and cut down to a more accurate size. Then all the surfaces were flattened and some angled. Plasticard panels were then added as per photos and a few switches and buttons added. The hardest thing here is making everything fit, constant dry fitting to the fuselage sides and cross referencing of photographs is absolutely essential here. the navs side panels were treated in the same way.

P1130909.jpg

P1130910.jpg

Also the wheel bays were busied up a bit more prior to priming. All the cross members and bracing struts are in place now but more plumbing and wiring is still needed, ( I've run out of lead wire so will have to wait a short while until I can restock).

P1130913-001.jpg

Next stage will be to finish off the cockpit detailing and its complex side consoles, :shutup:

Cheers all,

Melchie...