100 years of Russian Air Force

Pin

Some really amazing photographs in there; most of them you don't see outside of models and simulators! Always good to see the Reds in action :)

I'm sitting here trying to comprehend the noise that the Tu-95 formation must have made - I'll be surprised if windows didn't break!

Tim

Some really amazing photographs in there; most of them you don't see outside of models and simulators! Always good to see the Reds in action :)

I'm sitting here trying to comprehend the noise that the Tu-95 formation must have made - I'll be surprised if windows didn't break!

Tim

I was there (pics later) - and they are not noisy !!

Just a low thrumming sound - deep throbbing, but not noisy.

Not only was there the sound of 12 X NK-12 turboprops from the three Bears - but there was four more from the An-22 in the 'Transports' flypast.

Excellent show all round - give me a couple of days to get my photos sorted......

Ken

Sounds like you had a lot of fun Ken - can't wait for the pictures! My father worked in Moscow for a while in the mid-90s, and even though we visited him several times, I somehow never saw a Russian military parade or airshow :(

Are the Bears really not too bad for your ears? Every reference I find seems to suggest that they're as loud as sin :)

Tim

Love the mixed formation of the Russian Aerobatic team pics and the colourful Mig 15UTI. The formations of the 'big ' stuff looked awesome too! And a few familiar warbirds that made the journey east.

Are the Bears really not too bad for your ears? Every reference I find seems to suggest that they're as loud as sin :)

Definitely not - and there were three of them = 12 X Kuznetsove NK-12's going over, albeit at cruise rating.

They are not deafening - but have a very low beat - more like a growl, but not noisy - at least I didn't think so.

I have heard that the offshore US underwater submarine detection system - SONUS - could pick up the sound of Bears as they transitted down the east coast of the US on their way down to Cuba.

But that was presumably the low resonance, not necessarily the loudness.

There must be clips of the flypast now posted on YouTube - check out the sound on there.

Ken

Holy Hannah that is SO COOL !!! My jaw actually dropped from all the Funky Russian Goodliness. They have so much really cool looking stuff. The T-50 in that brilliant splinter camo looks so much more menacing than, say, an F-35. And three Tu-160's!! Fingerlicking good! Proper shame to have missed that.