Airliner work in progress and ready for inspection threads

Greg B

Greg i can see where you are coming from, yes i know us civvies are only a very small group, but we are kinda being neglected. Our posts are essentially guppy's being thrown into the shark tank, straight into hiding, in other words people don't see them as much once there in with the fighters.

Could you at least add a finished photo album in the civil section, not a whole section, just a thread were we can discuss our finished builds, we will all be happier and we will stop going on....

Sorry, but pushing the needs of the civil people to one side, you probably prefer the military stuff, how about you build an airliner and post it in the rfi area. you'll see how quickly your hard work is pushed of the front page.

To say the least it's abit crushing, spending months on an airliner, getting the perfect gloss white finish, for it to stay on the front page for mere minutes. With the old layout it might be up there a couple days, you'd get plenty of comments, you could find out ways of how to improve. Now we get "very nice" & "nice paint scheme", yes we like that. but we preferred the "you will get a better finish if...." & " i know that if i build it like this...." etc.

Im 16 and im still learning, as much as i like getting the very nice comments, i want to learn. i dont get this anymore, unless i post the link in the discussion area and ask how can i get this like that.

Its not the same!!!

• Like 1

Greg i can see where you are coming from, yes i know us civvies are only a very small group, but we are kinda being neglected. Our posts are essentially guppy's being thrown into the shark tank, straight into hiding, in other words people don't see them as much once there in with the fighters.

Could you at least add a finished photo album in the civil section, not a whole section, just a thread were we can discuss our finished builds, we will all be happier and we will stop going on....

Sorry, but pushing the needs of the civil people to one side, you probably prefer the military stuff, how about you build an airliner and post it in the rfi area. you'll see how quickly your hard work is pushed of the front page.

To say the least it's abit crushing, spending months on an airliner, getting the perfect gloss white finish, for it to stay on the front page for mere minutes. With the old layout it might be up there a couple days, you'd get plenty of comments, you could find out ways of how to improve. Now we get "very nice" & "nice paint scheme", yes we like that. but we preferred the "you will get a better finish if...." & " i know that if i build it like this...." etc.

Im 16 and im still learning, as much as i like getting the very nice comments, i want to learn. i dont get this anymore, unless i post the link in the discussion area and ask how can i get this like that.

Its not the same!!!

Nope, because that is in effect an RFI. It is not carried out elsewhere within the forum genres, nor tolerated. I will also remind both yourself and Cuprar that there was no "Old layout", nor "Old Way", the requirement of posting RFI's and WIP's in the correct forum area was to enable a common location for the majority of the BM membership to find aircraft RFI's and WIP's instead of trawling through multiple areas was there all along. I was just conveniently ignored by the Airliner modellers until the Airliners section was so jumbled up with RFI's, WIP's, questions about paint, schemes, conversions, requests for parts, etc that that considerable Moderator time ended up having to be used to tidy it up in order to conform to the rest of the forum layout. Myself and Mike are unwilling to waste further time opening up individual threads in this or any other area to move them to the correct areas. Time that we could have more fruitfully employed trying to get that perfect metallic/weathered/mottled finish on whatever kit we were building instead of sweeping up in here.....

I will say for one final time.

We are not going to alter our stance on this unless there is evidence that the Civil Airliner contingent are generating enough builds and throughput to warrant one. Civil aircraft will remain under the overall umbrella of aircraft WIP and RFI. That is the final decision on the matter unless there is a very and I mean very significant change in circumstances.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Well,

After 2 1/2 years of hard line, how does it go ?

You must agree that Airliner modellers have complied to your wish, in the way that your moderating task has been lightened to a minimum with a new post every other day.

However, some details can be spotted :

Are a B-737 or Concorde considered as Classic or Modern ?

Depending on one's age or definition, the boundary is somehow difficult to draw.

Is a jet more modern that a prop ? A Dash-7 or an ATR-72 is for sure more recent that a B-727, VC-10 or DC-9.

Still, some of them appear in both subforums without any intervention.

Given the low number of posts, and the fact that the boundary is variable according to the person, only one discussion forum could be a solution.

You said : unless there is a very and I mean very significant change in circumstances,

The circumstance is that while there is a poll going on, very few people among Airliners modelers (the remaining ones !) seem to be interested in.

A consequence of the hard line ? Didn't you say once :

You can poll all you want...

On 25/11/2015 at 17:00, Jessica said:

So let's have an unofficial group build instead. Start a thread in "Work in Progress" and everybody pile on with their builds. Let's show these modellers who fear bare metal and gloss white just how it's done!

A thread in "Work in Progress" (up to 26 posts today) will be pushed away and drowned as fast than in the "Ready for inspection" (up to 22 posts today as I write).

... arguments you have used are not helping you as they are very easily disproved by the stats from the forum software that shows us where the activity is.

Our fellows come down here to get out of their everyday life and be part of a community.

Treating them as "statistics" like they are in their life at work, with their banks... did not contribute to keep them on board.

Yes, the activity on the Airliner forum is at its lowest.

As a modest contribution, in order to capture back those who have tiptoed away (not to other forums as mentioned, but probably sneaking down here quietly and silently, unknown), I would suggest, not to add one subform as it has been discussed before, but making just two :

1- Discussions

2- Your models

And take down the Airliner Forum at the bottom, just above the Aircraft related subjects.

Sincerely.

AV O

Edited by AV O

In answer to your post. There is no intent to make any changes. It is still a very niche subject and does not justify a separate forum area away from works in progress and ready for inspection under aircraft modelling.

WWII, Cold War and Modern for aircraft modelling have a far higher throughput and user base but somehow manage to cope with their respective genres being combined under one umbrella thread. What makes the airliner build outputs more deserving, unable to be tagged or unable to be searched for?

I understand your arguments and am not asking for any special treatment, just trying to make it easier for Airliners fellows.

To your question :

What makes the airliner build outputs more deserving, unable to be tagged or unable to be searched for?

The answer is yours in post # 24 :

>>95% Military aircraft, to <<5%

Meaning that someone getting a glance at the the WIP or RFI forum for the last military aircraft model has >>95% of finding it with one click at the top of the page. Looking for the last Airliner model in any section, with <<5% chances, may, most of the time according to circumstances, mean scrolling down... pages.

The answer is simple, and in response to your statement that you're NOT looking for special treatment, I'd disagree with that, as you've gone on about it for long enough to make it perfectly clear that you DO want special treatment. :shrug:

Why not just add the tag "Civil" or "Airliner" to each of your threads, and then people can click on a tag and find lots of stuff they're interested in without fragmenting the forum. Imagine if we gave everyone that does something slightly different within a broad genre their own sub-forum. Not only would the site be totally impossible to navigate, it would also be unwieldy, and there would be very little chance of anyone stumbling on a post that they might not have seen otherwise.

A separate airliner WIP & RFI isn't going to happen. Neither is a separate one for Helicopters, or subs, or French subs that are also helicopters. You need to move on.

• 9 months later...
On April 23, 2013 at 0:11 PM, Greg B said:

Oh well. Feel free not to post them then as you obviously regard your builds as beyond and above the rest of the forum membership's abilities and interests and far too good for mere mortals who model other genres to pass comment on them. :bye:

Kind of surprised to read a reply like this from a moderator. It discourages participation and is very condescending to the person it was directed at. Moderation protects others from personal attacks, which Ironically your reply was.

I really like this site but at times I see some of the rules here as being very iron fisted. I don't build airliners although I do come to this forum to see some of the builds, as I enjoy seeing them.

Now they will be buried in the other aircraft forum.

I didn't see the harm of these builders posting their builds. I don't see the difficulty it would cause with the moderation. So these members can still make an equal or greater number of posts in the airliner forum as long as it doesn't have a progress build or completed build included?

Modeling is supposed to be fun.

Moderation is supposed to protect from personal attacks? So then, what was the real point of your post other than just what you were yourself complaining about? Why drag up a 4 1/2 year old thread and whinge publicly?

As before, the aircraft work in progress threads and ready for inspections are there for airliners.  The same rules as any other genre.

Your additional  comment about difficult  moderation obviously did not take into account the large amount of wasted time we spent digging through the area moving the wanted, work in progress, for sale, airliners net photos, ready for inspection and random chat that littered the area and the time we still spend having to move stuff even now.  

Yes, must say I am perplexed at the need to pick at this old sore.  Any particular reason for this or just a passing interest? 

Why not just let alone.  Reminds me of my mother in law.  You are not her Scooby are you

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello Administrators

AV O brought this discussion to my attention - only after a passing comment I made yesterday when discovering I had completely missed a beautiful BA 1/144 Negus L1011 tristar by Turbofan. It would be easier for us civie builders to find and enjoy our specific category of models on a dedicated RFI forum however I have read your past comments which perhaps at the time were valid.

Having posted 10 civil builds on your website over a 3 month period, and with over 70 more civil builds lined up ready to continue being displayed on your forum pages, does this help towards you consider now allowing a dedicated RFI page for civils. Is there any way you can reflect back and run a report on the growth of civil builds / 1/200, 1/144 kits since you originally decided to retain this particular category in with the general aircraft modelling pages?

I see both points of view though - wings = aircraft which in turn can be summarised as only requiring one forum site however as a builder of civils and with no build or sincere interests in other military aircraft, it is annoying to work hard to display your work only to find that the subjects intended audience does not find the completed model due to the masses of repetitive spitfires and the likes.

Hoping that maybe now is the time to change - go on, I dare you.... it's not going to be as difficult as a hard Brexit after all !

On 12/02/2019 at 20:46, Gimme Shelter said:

Hello Administrators

AV O brought this discussion to my attention - only after a passing comment I made yesterday when discovering I had completely missed a beautiful BA 1/144 Negus L1011 tristar by Turbofan. It would be easier for us civie builders to find and enjoy our specific category of models on a dedicated RFI forum however I have read your past comments which perhaps at the time were valid.

Having posted 10 civil builds on your website over a 3 month period, and with over 70 more civil builds lined up ready to continue being displayed on your forum pages, does this help towards you consider now allowing a dedicated RFI page for civils. Is there any way you can reflect back and run a report on the growth of civil builds / 1/200, 1/144 kits since you originally decided to retain this particular category in with the general aircraft modelling pages?

I see both points of view though - wings = aircraft which in turn can be summarised as only requiring one forum site however as a builder of civils and with no build or sincere interests in other military aircraft, it is annoying to work hard to display your work only to find that the subjects intended audience does not find the completed model due to the masses of repetitive spitfires and the likes.

Hoping that maybe now is the time to change - go on, I dare you.... it's not going to be as difficult as a hard Brexit after all !

Unfortunately, even with your output and the recent flurry of 1930's types the requirement for a separate forum area for airliners is still not justified nor supported by the Mod team.  Other Genres would have a far greater justification for a separate RFI forum within aircraft (WWII, Axi, Jet, Cold War etc.) however we are not supporting splits along those lines either. 

In ref to your highlighted text, your output by its location in a sole aircraft RFI finds a far greater audience in the BM membership who visit the Aircraft RFI, not just the limited airliner modelling minority.  Again this was covered in the post below:

On 03/12/2015 at 00:40, Mike said:

The answer is simple, and in response to your statement that you're NOT looking for special treatment, I'd disagree with that, as you've gone on about it for long enough to make it perfectly clear that you DO want special treatment. :shrug:

Why not just add the tag "Civil" or "Airliner" to each of your threads, and then people can click on a tag and find lots of stuff they're interested in without fragmenting the forum. Imagine if we gave everyone that does something slightly different within a broad genre their own sub-forum. Not only would the site be totally impossible to navigate, it would also be unwieldy, and there would be very little chance of anyone stumbling on a post that they might not have seen otherwise.

A separate airliner WIP & RFI isn't going to happen. Neither is a separate one for Helicopters, or subs, or French subs that are also helicopters. You need to move on.

• Like 1

Please don't get me wrong, I just have a question. Is the civil airliner traffic (topics and posts) greater than the what-if traffic which does have a separate forum (which I use) and is overwhelmingly aircraft? And yes I am guilty of posting my civil Whifs there. Like Gimme Shelter I too see both sides of the argument. I don't have a website and therefore have no idea how much time and effort it takes to moderate, so my question is, would it hurt to have a single slow moving chat, WIP, RFI civil subforum like the What-if subforum instead of 2 chat subforums plus the WIP and RFI ? As I said above I am not fully conversant with the logistics of websites which might be why others have complained, which I am not doing as I like this site as it is user friendly and full of friendly users.

P.S.

I will be using the suggested tags on my non-whif civil aircraft.

Edited by dadofthree

I'm not used to Tags, I guess that is something FB-users know better.  To me Tags seems to be a good idea but the problem is that there are no standardised tags. Sometime I wish that there were some tags to choose from that were required to add before submitting. I never remember to use the Tag option.

2 hours ago, dadofthree said:

Please don't get me wrong, I just have a question. Is the civil airliner traffic (topics and posts) greater than the what-if traffic which does have a separate forum (which I use) and is overwhelmingly aircraft? And yes I am guilty of posting my civil Whifs there. Like Gimme Shelter I too see both sides of the argument. I don't have a website and therefore have no idea how much time and effort it takes to moderate, so my question is, would it hurt to have a single slow moving chat, WIP, RFI civil subforum like the What-if subforum instead of 2 chat subforums plus the WIP and RFI ? As I said above I am not fully conversant with the logistics of websites which might be why others have complained, which I am not doing as I like this site as it is user friendly and full of friendly users.

P.S.

I will be using the suggested tags on my non-whif civil aircraft.

Whif’s are not just aircraft. It is a repository for whif’s no matter what the genre. Just like Aircraft WIP and RFI are the repository for aircraft no matter what the genre.  The matter as far as the mod team is concerned is closed and unless there is a significant change to the user demographics and what is seen in those areas it will remain closed. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is interesting... I myself have in the past been a moderator of a flight simulator forum (civil that is) and having read through the whole thread here I don't understand the reason given for not creating a sub forums which takes a minute or 2.

Wouldn't creating the desired forums give you mods LESS work to do if all you're doing is moving posts about?

From my experience, the lesser used forums have the tendency to moderate themselves unless something gets reported.

Hi  @Smokeynets This subject was revisited recently in another thread.  Like you I've been a moderator (on a music site) and I don't understand the logic although I can't help suspecting an element of entrenched attitudes. However the moderators make the rules and the rest of us have to live by them or take ourselves off to other sites. Personally I think the good aspects of Britmodeller hugely outweigh this issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1