Airliner work in progress and ready for inspection threads

Greg B

Having spent a good few hours moving threads from here along with Mike in between a forum upgrade and move, and with a good few more hours to go trawling through this section tidying up, it is disapointing to find yet more work in progress threads and ready for inspection threads cropping up here.

An airliner is by definition an aircraft therefore please use the work in progress or ready for inspection sub forums in the aircraft area.

Any further build or inspection threads found here will be locked off, as it is rapidly becoming an irritant in wasting further time for the mods.

Greg B

In a bid to help you to get things in the right place, I've added the word "discussion" to the forum headers, which may... or may not prevent it happening :shrug:

Although I'm one of the newest members of the forum, may I suggest something?

Because we are not all interested in all kinds of aircraft and locating new civil aircraft in the "ready for inspection" area can take whole pages...

Why don't you create separate sub-forums in the "ready for inspection" for military and civil aircraft? That way everybody is happy..

Just my 2 cents...

George

Edited by George D.

Although I'm one of the newest members of the forum, may I suggest something?

Because we are not all interested in all kinds of aircraft and locating new civil aircraft in the "ready for inspection" area can take whole pages...

Why don't you create separate sub-forums in the "ready for inspection" for military and civil aircraft? That way everybody is happy..

Just my 2 cents...

George

Because it would be an additional 2 areas to moderate and as already pointed out, they are aircraft.

I seem to remember there was at one time, a ready-for-inspection sub-forum for civil aircraft and it was merged into the main forum...I did ask why at the time and Mike's reply made sense, so....one of the few things I havent done wrong since is to put my work in progress builds anywhere except in the main WIP forum, and my completed builds in the main RFI forum.

People are usually very kind about my builds and I've found that comments come from military fans and civil fans.

So by having them in one place, you reach a wider audience.

Made sense when MIke first did it and it makes sense now

• 4 months later...

Hello ,

You may be right about the audience.

Though, the way it was going before, was an easy way to get on the spot, threads or pictures of Airliners, weather they'd be "ready-for-inspection" or "WIP".

The discussion forum may run but at a slow pace, and what We, Airliners fans, have to do now, (the production rate being much slower and the number of threads less important in the airliner section), is to scroll down several pages to get a slight chance of spotting one lost NEW Airliner thread among how many others, in either section. Not to mention the previous ones.

Happy New Year

Cheers.

AV O

Edited by AV O

I totally agree and had expressed my argument above, but I also understand that the moderators do this for free and it may be a big task to moderate two extra sub-forums.

It's up to us to at least mark the Commercial aviation topics with a keyword or something so we can locate such topics more easily.

For example, we could start the topic title with "Commercial - .... " or whatever we agree. Searching for "Boeing" or "Airbus" alone doesn't help.

• 3 months later...

I have zero interest in military/classic aircraft (well not enough to model at the moment anyway)

The thing is with the Ready for inspection and work in progress forums is that there are very few civil airliners there.

I've just gone through the first 6 pages of the RFI forum and only found a few civil light aircraft topics.

Now all I want to do is show a couple of pics of my last 757 build and my A346 in progress. I don't think they are worthy of the RFI or WIP forum and will get swallowed up by the massive amount of military/ classic stuff.

I want the members in this forum to see them. It;'s the only one I visit after all.

• Like 1

I know ive probably caused enough grief with this, sorry, but Steve has a point, our airlines do get bumped straight off the page. Military stuff is posted more rapidly, therefore we get bumped off quicker, this means its harder for us Airliner nuts to find the civil stuff.

Would it be possible to have a joint airliner WIP & RFI?

Could you do it as trial basis for a few months and if it works keep it?

Only a thought.

Thanks Bradley

• Like 1

I have zero interest in military/classic aircraft (well not enough to model at the moment anyway)

The thing is with the Ready for inspection and work in progress forums is that there are very few civil airliners there.

I've just gone through the first 6 pages of the RFI forum and only found a few civil light aircraft topics.

Now all I want to do is show a couple of pics of my last 757 build and my A346 in progress. I don't think they are worthy of the RFI or WIP forum and will get swallowed up by the massive amount of military/ classic stuff.

I want the members in this forum to see them. It;'s the only one I visit after all.

I know ive probably caused enough grief with this, sorry, but Steve has a point, our airlines do get bumped straight off the page. Military stuff is posted more rapidly, therefore we get bumped off quicker, this means its harder for us Airliner nuts to find the civil stuff.

Would it be possible to have a joint airliner WIP & RFI?

Could you do it as trial basis for a few months and if it works keep it?

Only a thought.

Thanks Bradley

In answer to the 2 posts above.

As explained before, the viewpoint of myself and Mike has not changed. Airliners are Aircraft and a very niche part of the Aircraft forum, therefore they belong in the works in progress or ready for inspection sections of the aircraft sub forum. We do not separate the armour section into wheels and tracked nor the maritime into sail, steam, submarine etc.

I still find that I am still having to move Airliner RFI and WIP topics and it is an irritant to both myself and Mike. The simpler method for us would be to lock the topics off as has been indicated above (and still ignored), or merge the airliner sections into the main aircraft areas.

:winkgrin:

My problem is that I just want to post a couple of pics showing off my latest completed model.

I don't really want it 'inspected' and certainly not by people who have little interest in civil airliners.

Oh well. Feel free not to post them then as you obviously regard your builds as beyond and above the rest of the forum membership's abilities and interests and far too good for mere mortals who model other genres to pass comment on them. :bye:

Oh well. Feel free not to post them then as you obviously regard your builds as beyond and above the rest of the forum membership's abilities and interests and far too good for mere mortals who model other genres to pass comment on them. :bye:

Quite the opposite actually!

And I'm already looking for other forums where I can post the odd pic and it be viewed by like minded people.

Thanks for having me.

Edited by Steve2070
  • Like 1

This is starting to look more and more like an attempt to forment discontent amongst the airline modellers in order to tempt them across to some new forum that might already exist... Well, if that's the case, and people don't like how we do it here, then why not just toddle off quietly to this other forum that does suit you, rather than doing your best to cause a storm in a teacup. We've discussed this issue ad nauseum, and unless we get a massive influx of airline modellers, we're not about to fix something that's not broken for 99.9% of the members.

The search facility is far more powerful than the old one, and as Paul Perkins said, if you tag your threads with "Airliners", that can be used to find anything you might have missed. :shrug:

The search facility is far more powerful than the old one, and as Paul Perkins said, if you tag your threads with "Airliners", that can be used to find anything you might have missed. :shrug:

I regret to say that search NEVER worked for me properly and I can't find a way to search for tags.

I joined this forum because it had one of the best Airliners sub-forums with everything I was interested in just two sub-forums. Regretfully, I now find it very difficult to follow the topics of my interest. Yes, anyone can move away without notice, as anyone can also create his/her own forum if they like. Why is that even mentioned? Is that something illegal, or you fear that you may loose to the competition?

It's just that some of us may not be interested in all the other military aircraft, so we are pointing out that this layout does not work for the users. It works for the moderators and that's understood, but don't involve the other 99.9% of the members. You don't know how they feel or what they like.

Make a poll if you like and let that decide. Hear, evaluate and decide.

• Like 1

Sorry to keep going on and on and on.

But you have compared airliners and fighters to cars and buses, tanks and lorrys even subs and boats.

You keep saying how these don't have separate sections.

But look at the shear difference in posts.

You can easily see that Aircraft are by far the most popular form of modelling.

How many new posts are there a day?

There's probably one new civil aircraft posted a day.

Unless a modeller sees it and comments on it, it will be pushed straight of the page and out of sight by the fast things.

I've got no problem with fighters, I work on a Vulcan, I just don't like it how they are combined, so us civvies can't find what we are looking at.

I've finished about 5 new airliners recently, I haven't posted them as they get pushed of the page straight away and no one sees them.

The tags are the same.

Very few members have added the Tag Airliner or Airliners to there post, then not everyone can use it.

If you don't want the extra work load of a couple airliners why don't you make an civil modeller a moderator?

Or as George D says have a poll for the forum.

Make a poll for everyone to answer weather airliners should be kept separate.

And yes we know there are other sites, I have signed up to about 5 sites in total, I don't want to delete my other accounts, britmodeller was where I learnt nearly everything about modelling, I don't want to brush it under the carpet like it doesn't exist anymore, I want to use it all the time like I used to when I first singed up.

When you first moved our post's there was loads of protests, surely you can see that we weren't happy, yes some of us over reacted, me being one of those.

But it's not as enjoyable as it used to be.

The civil forums are no where near as busy as before.

I haven't even seen a post from some of the civil lot for ages.

Sorry for going on.

But I'm just trying to get my point across.

Also a clear point about the difference in modellers with civi and military.

There has only been 1,700 topics in the civil section, where as the military has over 20,000, this should show that our stuff doesn't get posted as rapidly and when it does get posted it gets bumped of the page really rather quickly...

Yes Bradley, Aircraft are the most popular genre on the site. >>95% Military aircraft, to <<5% Civil.If there is one new civil aircraft post a day like you said, then it is a waste of the Moderators time adding an further area to keep an eye on. Your arguments you have used are not helping you as they are very easily disproved by the stats from the forum software that shows us where the activity is.

If the tagging ability is there, but is seldom used by airliner modellers, therefore making searching for builds more involved, whose responsibility is that?

As before, no other genre has a split. I would put the military vehicle modelling at 75% - 25% in terms of tracks to Wheels. If anything they have a far stronger case but are happy where they are.

No civil aircraft modeller is likely to be approached to become a moderator at this moment in time, besides which the moderating responsibilities are site wide, not a small area located within the main aircraft section of the forum concerned with discussing civil builds.

You can poll all you want, we are not going to alter our stance on this unless there is evidence that the Civil Airliner contingent are generating enough builds and throughput to warrant one. Civil aircraft will remain under the overall umbrella of aircraft WIP and RFI. That is the final decision on the matter unless there is a very and I mean very significant change in circumstances.

• Like 1