Sea Harrier FRS51: IN623 / 623, 300 Sqdn, Indian Navy (1/48th Airfix)

Sea Harrier FRS51 - IN623 / 23, 300 Sqdn, Indian Navy, circa 2012

The latest model (build 12) in my Harrier Project is a FRS51 Sea Harrier in the latest Indian Navy scheme. At least I think it's the latest scheme, because trying to find up-to-date reference photos has proved to be quite difficult. Job done now, so a bit late to change. The Indian Navy Sea Harriers are now nearing retirement, so I expect this to be the last camouflage scheme that they carry. IN623 / 23 was the last FRS51 to be delivered to the Indian Navy in April 1992 and is one of only eight still flying / flyable, together with three T-birds. Twenty plus years of service is on a par with some of the longest serving Sea Harriers of the Royal Navy and in much higher temperatures!

Yes, it is another boring monotone Harrier, but I fancied the new scheme, even though it meant I pretty much had to create all the stencil decals myself using an inkjet printer and inkjet decals paper. The roundels were provided courtesy of Nick (NG899) from an old decal sheet. I'm still learning the ropes with home made decals and as a consequence the swear box kitty has had a bit of a topping up (I'm sure the charity where the proceeds go will not mind). Trying to produce colour matching to print light numbers proved beyond my wallet. Hence, there's a few dodgy decals, but probably in keeping with some other parts of the venerable Airifx 1/48 scale kit that I chopped and changed to try and get a more representative SHAR (courtesy of Nick's indispensable build guide). My reference photos from 2010 showed a pretty clean Sea Harrier just out of it's "LUSH" upgrade, so I've moved it on a couple of years and given her some wear and tear in keeping with the traditional state of Harriers.

Aside from having a go at most of the suggestions in Nick's build notes, I added a resin seat, and Heritage Aviation's nozzles and dropped door intakes. I did mix and match the undercarriage from various items in the spares box. She's brush painted of course, using Life Color's acrylic Light Compass Ghost Grey (FS36375) and Light Gull Grey for the radome. Klear coating has darkened it a fraction more than I would have liked, but let's not go to far down the shaes of grey debate. Weathering from Tamiya and rounded off with a spray of Humbrol matt varnish.

So here she is ...

FRS51-IN623-001.jpg

FRS51-IN623-004.jpg

FRS51-IN623-002.jpg

FRS51-IN623-003.jpg

Comments welcome as ever.

Next up on the bench will be a Monogram / Revell AV-8B II.

• Like 5

What a really nice model, I`ve always liked this new Indian scheme, roundels and all and was hoping that Airfix would provide it in their re released SHAR kit,..oh hum!

Very well done indeed,

Tony O

Thanks for the comments, chaps.

ideas for toning down the roundels (other than :coolio: ) most welcome, bearing mind i'm a brush painter and have sealed the decals with Klear and spray matt varnish. It got an outing at the IPMS Avon show yesterday - I heard no reports of snow blindness at the local A&E :winkgrin:

SimonR - yep, the intakes need a bit of persuasion with a sanding stick - nothing too drastic as I managed to make a reasonable fist of it.

Stephen ... have to ask if Dave will let it through on the basis of India being a member of the Commonwealth!

If anyone knows where I can get "Derby" missiles from, then please let me know ... I can then add a bit of fire power!