Looking for Three Guys Replica decal sheet for He111........

Chris Preston

Greetings everyone,

I've finally found markings for the He 111 H-2 that I want to build (using the Monogram 1/48th scale kit), but now I'm having a challenge finding the decal sheet produced by Three Guys replicas for this aircraft. The sheet is:

TGR 48-002 for He-111s, with markings for 5 aircraft. The Aircraft I want to do is A1+DA, from Stab./KG 53.

Does anyone know of a source for this sheet, or can help me out with a set their willing to part with (with suitable compensation for same)?

cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada

Hi Chris,

I have gotten some decal sheets for the He 111, But I believe not the one you want. I do know that there is a sheet form Aeromaster that hase almost the same aircraft. Aeromaster have gotten a He 111 H1 with the code A1+BA on it. take a look at the link for this version.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/aero/am48592.htm

I hope this will help.

Cheers,

If you do find the TGR sheet, be careful as the instructions appear to be wrong. The white/pink wing and fin/rudder formation markings go on the same side of the aircraft.

Brett green used them and the result is incorrect.

http://hyperscale.co...111h148bg_1.htm

As for the Aeromaster markings, I have not come across a picture showing A1+BA as having markings on both sides, indicating a center formation aircraft. Also note the alternate nose gun position in A1+BA

ec9864dc.jpg

5c2e5e54.jpg

Edited by Steven Eisenman
  • Like 1

Thanks Arnie and Steven,

The photos and insight are most useful. I've just managed to track down a set of the TGR decals that I'm looking for, as I'm very keen to use them as they match the second photo above. I'm still working on the differences in markings for aircraft from Stab./Kg 53, and Staff's I - III/Kg 53 and the colours used for the individual aircraft letters and propeller spinners, ,etc.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC

For a Stab aircraft, the most likely letter and spinner color is Green (blue is the alternate). As for the second photo, I've seen it captioned A1+BA and A1+DA. What is most noticible to me is the demarcation lines and codes to the rear of the fuselage cross, both are lower than what is infront.

Aeromaster has it as A1+BA with the A outlined in Green. The B is Black. I am inclined to belive it is A1+BA and not DA.

For a Stab aircraft, the most likely letter and spinner color is Green (blue is the alternate). As for the second photo, I've seen it captioned A1+BA and A1+DA. What is most noticible to me is the demarcation lines and codes to the rear of the fuselage cross, both are lower than what is infront.

Aeromaster has it as A1+BA with the A outlined in Green. The B is Black. I am inclined to belive it is A1+BA and not DA.

Hi Steven.

I have come across the same picture you have shown us. It is the second picture. The picture stand in crowood series for the He 111 at page 80. There you can see the individual aircraft letter under the left underside of the wing. here stands That it is A1 + DA. I also came across à picture in world war 2 Photo album number 2 "german bombers over England" with a picture on page 70, where there are seen 3 He 111's with white bars on both wings. Does this meen that they were also on both Side of the rudder?

Do you know more About this?

Edited by Arniec

Thanks for the references. Pulled the Crowood book and you are correct, it is a D for the individual aircraftr letter. Cannot seem to find the other picture, but yes, the markingings would be on both sides of rudder and both wing tops. Being center formation pilots on both right and left would see the markings on the side, and thus was to be on the right side of the left formation and left side of right formation.

There is one good reference for this, Merricks Luftwaffe Camou and Markings Vol 2, and one not so good that is and old Model Aircraft Monthly.

The markings first appeard in the mass daylight bomber formations in September 1940 over London. The presumptions was that it was an organization marking to keep the formations in proper position, left center and right.

It is also presumed that the number of stripes indicated if an aircraft was in first, second or third element. That is in the 10 plane formation that was first, second or third in line.

One thing that is not understood is why the Do 17s wore the band horizontal on the fin and rudder and cord wise (front to back) on the wing, while the He 111 and Ju 88 markings wer vertical on the fin/rudder and span wise (left to right) on the wing.

Seems to be consensus that pink was commonly used. Simple mixing of red and white. No RLM color. Perhaps the color of one of Goering's uniforms :winkgrin:

Went back to some references and found these two pictures in the AirDoC monograph. Seems in both instance the pictures are mis-captioned. They appear to be two He 111s with KG 26, 1H+, perhaps the second one is 1H+AN. Not that the one stripe appers on the fin, not rudder and the wing is at the tip. Also note in the first one that the markings have been blacked out for night ops, but prior to use in the mass daylight bombing raids.

77c6d45b.jpg

04478ea4.jpg

Here is that picture from the Corwood monograph. Yes, A1+DA. I'd say Green "D" and white outline of the "A"

cf21c20e.jpg

Edited by Steven Eisenman