F-104 G Starfighter

My entry for this GB is based on my love of F1!

IMG_0181-1.jpg

Aquick look on the interweb shows it without the wing end tanks so unless anyone knows any different I will leave them off.

More later.

I am really looking forward to seeing her built up. I really love this scheme ! Wish hasegawa would issue those markings in 1/48 :)

Cheers Brian(F-104nut)

Had a quick look through the box last night, nice red plastic!

The cockpit detail is sparse to say the least, are there any options to improve it, can the black box cockpit for the Hasa kit be man handled in!

Cheers,

Warren

I can confirm the lack of wingtip tanks on this aircraft. The aircraft was donated to Ferrari and painted in this striking scheme after it had reached its hours limit, so unfortunately it never flew like this.

As an F-1 lover you sure know the meaning of the code, for those who don't know this follows the standard italian air force practice with the first number indicating the stormo (wing) and the second indicating the individual aircraft within the wing. In this case 4 stands for the 4th wing, probably the most famous and the one that always gets the newest aircrafts first, while 27 was the race number of the unforgettable Gilles Villeneuve

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got this started, decided to go with the kit cockpit even though it is some what basic!

Quite a lot of fettling needed, should hopefully get some pictures up tomorrow.

As I said not the best detailed of kits. Cockpit built OOB just a grab handle added to the bottom of the seat.

F104cockpit.jpg

Under carrage has had a couple of coats of Alclad Aluminium and just wants toning down now.

Looking good. I see what you mean when you say it's not the best detailed kit. Still, the instrument panel and consoles look nice and there's some detail in the gear well. I'd say that with a wash and a few coloured bits here and there the final result might well be very interesting.

Halves stuck together, no real dramas!

IMG_0703.jpg

Cockpit.

IMG_0702.jpg

Canopy masked.

IMG_0704.jpg

Coat of grey primer to highlight any blemishes.

IMG_0705.jpg

1/72 Hurricane to give a sense of size.

IMG_0707.jpg

Once tidied up it will get a couple of coats of white primer before several thin coats of Zero Paints Ferrari Red.

Cheers,

Warren

Giorgio,

No different really.

Zero paints are pre thinned ready for airbrushing and colour matched. The one I'm using is matched to Tamiya TS-08, Italian Red, as recommended for the 80's Ferrari kits. Not sure if it is totally accurate but makes sense to me that they would paint it the same.

As for size it is a bit on the large size, not sure where it will go when complete!

Cheers,

Warren

Got the first couple of coats of Ferrari red on this afternoon. One more should do it I think.

IMG_0710_zps723dd8c7.jpg

Just for comparison here is next to the original red plastic. Why do we paint them!!

IMG_0711_zps555af574.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well after almost a month in the modelling desert I finally got a coat of clear gloss on and added the decals. The kit decals are quite nice, very thin and conform well. Only thing is they are very slightly out of register, particularly on the roundals.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

Need to seal the decals then a quick wash to brng out the panel line that are recessed.

Cheers,

Warren

Calling this one one done now. Couple of coats of satin varnish after a little weathering a it was a display plane.

IMG_0798.jpg

A few more pics in the Gallery.

Thanks for watching.

Warren