F-20 Tigershark

Hi,

I guess there is always a first for everything, and it is my first 'What If' :rolleyes:

You all know the story around the F-20 Tigershark and that it never became a success. But what if the Swedish Navy (Marinen) had bought some in the late 80's when the Air Force still was waiting for the Gripen. At least that was my idea.

The Swedish Navy version of the F-20, the AJ-38 Shark, had a different tail structure than the original Tigershark. It was painted in a grey splinter scheme, similar to the green scheme of the Air Force Viggen. It was used for Close Air Support to Navy vessels and around the Swedish Navy home bases. Secondary it was used as a Fighter.

F20%201.jpg

F20%203.jpg

F20%202.jpg

F20%204.jpg

For this build I used Hasegawa's F-20 Tigershark with the tail and missiles from Italeri's JAS 39 Gripen. The exhaust is Aires. Decals is a variety of leftovers from the Gripen kit together with spare decals I kept from my childhood.

Thanks for looking!

/Fred

Edited by CanDid
  • Like 37

That is spectacular!!! Saw the photos first, did a double take, thought 'I didn't know the Swedes had those...' then I read the text!!

Brilliant modelling!

Very nice, I'm not into 'what ifs' but that is a little stunner. I had an F-20 in 48 scale a lifetime ago, before it got shelved, I remember reading a report by the venerable Chuck Yager who in his 70's was still a test pilot and was waxing lyrical about this machine, showing my age now.

Hi Fred, Simply superb, especially the alternate colours for the splinter cammo. I think the F20 missed it's opportunity, it could have been a good little fighter. Having done a helo in splinter cammo I know how much masking you must have done, I think you did it proud.

Colin on the Africa Station

Thank you so much for all kind comments. I think they are far nicer than the build itself.

That is spectacular!!! Saw the photos first, did a double take, thought 'I didn't know the Swedes had those...' then I read the text!!

Busdriver, your comment brings a smile on my face. Yes it is a 'what if' but I really wanted it to look tricked out, but still possible :innocent:

Fantastic model, a loot of great details, and super SF paint scheme. Looks like model in scale 1/48 !!

spiton, you are way to kind. As a kid I loved the 1/72 scale (Matchbox kits), easy to build and robust enough to play with. Nowadays I really find them hard to detail, especially paint wise. Small scales really sort out the best builders and I struggle for sure...

Simply superb, especially the alternate colours for the splinter cammo. I think the F20 missed it's opportunity, it could have been a good little fighter. Having done a helo in splinter cammo I know how much masking you must have done, I think you did it proud.
Im not fan of what ifs im afraid but have to be honest i love it looks fantastic!

Me neither, or at least I was not. One thing I really found difficult was to make it all work. I am not totally sure how to say it, but following a painting guide or adding some nice weaponry requires a lot of skill and effort and I love all the models out there that really looks like the real thing. Having that said, what I really struggled with here was to find what colours worked together, how to lay out the paint scheme or how to put the tail and fuselage together. I had nothing to guide me. I really think that is what I liked most on this build, the trial and error.

The splinter camo is really not that difficult. I have tried it before on my Viggen, it just takes time. Finding the colours is another matter. You should have seen the plane after the first four layer masking round, what a mess. I just had to re-do it.

After this build I have an ever greater respect for all those researchers that makes our kits and investigate the colours on paint schemes. To those who make after market parts to fit so well with existing kits, not to mention all the scratchbuilders - Respect! :clap2:

BTW, the Swedish flag on the pod on the tail is a really nice touch.

Thank you, had to find a way to make it look like a navy vessel.

Happy modelling!

/Fred

• 4 months later...

Great job Fred.. Tiger shark was a looker! You made it even better...

What's that plane in the Jamtland banner, the Chinese leopard ?

Hi,

Thank's for all kind comments.

Great job Fred.. Tiger shark was a looker! You made it even better...

What's that plane in the Jamtland banner, the Chinese leopard ?

@ Skybert. The plane in the banner is a Saab SK37 Viggen I made a while ago, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234916217&hl=%2Bairfix+%2Bviggen

Edited by CanDid