Academy 1:72 AH-64A Apache +++FINISHED+++

Hi there,

I never got a reply in the GB Chat thread, so I'm assuming it's ok to join this GB with this build!

I won this kit here on BM and it was good timing with this GB on. Here are the box and sprues :

Box.jpg

Sprues.jpg

As usual, I'll be building straight out of the box, and this comes with Israeli markings. I'm a brush painter, but nearly 90% of this kit is in Olive Drab, and as my last build was a similar colour, and I used a rattlecan for that, I'll probably use the rest of the rattlecan for this!

Starting on the cockpit first, probably tonight, I'll post up more pics when I have them. Thanks...

J.

Edited by Jasonb13

Some progress made this evening...

The cockpit, such as it is, is done. Just a couple of different shades of black, some dry brushing to bring out the controls a bit, and a bit of Klear for the screens. They're not great pics, sorry!

Cockpit1.jpg

Cockpit2.jpg

With that done, it's straight onto the fuselage halves, so it's already taking shape. Needs a lot of tidying up along those seams...

Fuselage1.jpg

More soon...

J.

Jeepers Jason, you're a model-making-machine these days! Good to see you working your magic on a helo.

Nice start, always liked the Apache and to me it's the rotor-version of the A-10; looks the business/means business...

Cheers,

Dermot

Thanks Dermot! After the F-16 slowed me down, it's good to be building again! And you're right, the Apache is definitely the rotary wing version of the A-10. Maybe it's the big feck off gun they both have? :)

Good point SaintsPhil, that does indeed answer my question! :)

J.

Bit more work done on this now. It's not a great kit, the fit isn't great ( neither are the instructions actually, the diagrams are a little unclear in places ) so there's quite a bit of filling and sanding going on. It's getting there though, engines on and so's the canopy. It's really just the tailplane and pylons next before it can be primed and I'll see what I've missed!

Fuselage2.jpg

I've a few days off work so hopefully I'll make good progress, though with the Olympics on who knows? :)

J.

Thanks Dermot!

Well, it's all primed now. Dry fitted the blades just to make the pic look a bit more interesting :

Fuselage3.jpg

As I'm using a rattlecan to paint this build, I'm going to give pre-shading a go ( something that doesn't work for me normally as a brush-painter! ). So I'll paint all the panel lines this evening / tomorrow and then spray her and see what it looks like. More than likely I'll just cover the lines completely, but you never know! :)

J.

Final bit of progress for a while, as I won't get near this for a few days!

Got it painted and the first coat of gloss on. Also have all the other bits and pieces ( ordinance, rotars, wheels etc. ) all painted, so I'm getting there! Next step when I get back to it is decals, then the second gloss coat and then panel washes etc. The 'pre-shading' didn't really work, as expected. I was just too heavy with the rattlecan paint for the lines to still show up. Ah well!

J.

Painted.jpg

Thanks Philip! I've just realised, I've pretty much done all this in a week, so that's quick even for me! But I've been off work, so that's helped a lot. Like I said, I won't get near it for a few days, but all going well, I should have it done by the end of next week. And then, I must admit, I'm thinking about starting the Seaview! :)

J.

Thanks Andy!

Back from a little weekend break, and I've got the decals done ( they're not great, lots and lots of silvering ). I also managed to put one of the Inginia decals on the tail on upside down! :banghead: I had Microsol and everything on it before I realised, so there was nothing I could do with it. Of course, I then had to decide whether to do the opposite one upside-down as well ( so they wouldn't look different ). Thankfully it's not an obvious insignia, so it's not immediately obvious that it's wrong ( unless you're very familiar with Israeli Apaches I suppose! ). The 2nd coat of gloss is also on, and now I'll leave the fuselage alone until it dries, before doing a panel wash and then a matt coat :

Decalled.jpg

Sorry about the lack of focus, I think the gloss finish confused my camera! And talking about the cockpit Andy, it's been covered by tape for a few days now and I'm at the stage that I hope it all looks ok whenever the tape comes off!

Apart from the fuselage, I've also got nearly all the work done on the rest of the bits and pieces. I'm going to try to add a bit of paint to the front of the Hellfires to see if I can give the 'glass dome' effect to them. Need to touch up some paint / washes here and there as well.

Misc.jpg

With a bit of luck I should have this finished in the next couple of days, though I'm a bit busy so it might be early next week, we'll see!

J.

Ah bugger, I won't be able to make tomorrow's meet sorry! :(

As said, this is done, and here are the pics to prove it! It's a nice enough kit, some of the instructions are a bit vague but the fit's ok and it looks like an Apache to me! :) When I was given the kit I was warned that some of the grab-handles / steps were missing, but a quick count by me before I started showed them all to be there. Of course, my count turned out to be wrong, and I realised yesterday as I was gluing them on ( the last step ) that I was missing 3! But I just made do without them.

Anyhow, thanks for your comments on this build, and thanks for running the GB, it was perfect timing for me. Here's my Israeli Apache, and I'll add the pics to the Gallery as well... :)

J.

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

Finished3.jpg

Finished4.jpg

Finished5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...