1:48 Scale Aircraft Hangar Diorama

Hi Darius, What a magic job you have made of the hanger, I especially like the night time shots the lighting it really adds a sense of reality to the whole model. I may just have to have one of these!

Colin on the Africa Station

• Like 1

Very nice Darius - is it a heavy thing now it's constructed? :)

Hi Mike,

Excluding the hardboard base the completed model weighs about 1.5kg. That does include four 1:48 Spitfires though :)

The main issue is the size rather than the weight. Being made of cardboard it does not respond well to impacts with doors or walls...

:giles:

Darius

Not sure what's the best aspect of this thread, watching you construct the hanger or seeing the finished article with all those fantastic models on display. The night shots in particular are amazing.

The main issue is the size rather than the weight. Being made of cardboard it does not respond well to impacts with doors or walls...

Lol, I can imagine. It wouldn't be one to take to a show with you unless you had a suitable box!

Caz has commented that it looks real too - especially the pics with the lights on.

I had a look at them on the website, and although pretty cheap to buy, the shipping works out more than the kit itself - a total around £35 :(

Are they available in the UK? :hmmm:

Thanks for the kind comments guys. The next stage is to add some internal "clutter" (storage racks, cupboards, wall signs etc) but not too much on the "less is more" principle. I also intend to add some light weathering to the external cladding. Going to try out the airbrush for that.

Darius

Well I went ahead and ordered a 1/48th version over the weekend. It looks as if my order is progressing. Total cost including shipping was 179PLN which converted to to around £36 GBP. GPM have just refunded me £8, not reason given but suspect the website shipping charge was too high. So cost worked out to £28, quite happy with that.

Thanks and all credit to GPM for the refund, most appreciated.

Caz has commented that it looks real too - especially the pics with the lights on.

I had a look at them on the website, and although pretty cheap to buy, the shipping works out more than the kit itself - a total around £35 :(

Are they available in the UK? :hmmm:

This looks fantastic, I have been eyeing up the Warsaw Pact HAS they do, and nearly ordered one, but was put off by the P&P being more that the kit!

I did find a seller on eBay doc4710 that seems to sell some of the range, with better P&Pbut doesn't have the hangers.

I might try them if I do decide to order!

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

Looks brilliant! Very impressed.

My only thought was that you might want to stick a resistor in the light circuit to bring their power down very slightly to get that pools of light look and to make them slightly yellower.

Also how about a small and lower power light over the side door? Although I'm not sure if they removed external lights in the 2nd World War to prevent targetting by the Luftwaffe? hmm might have to have a look at some of my airfield archaeology books to find out...

TFB

My only thought was that you might want to stick a resistor in the light circuit to bring their power down very slightly to get that pools of light look and to make them slightly yellower.

Also how about a small and lower power light over the side door? Although I'm not sure if they removed external lights in the 2nd World War to prevent targetting by the Luftwaffe? hmm might have to have a look at some of my airfield archaeology books to find out...

TFB

To power the lights I have them connected to a model railway controller and so can adjust the brightness by turning the knob. I had though about adding door lights - let me know what you find in the books.

Darius

Slightly overdue, but a few shots from inside Hangar 7 at Baginton. Not a huge amount of useful clutter though the starting trolley might be of interest. Wheels appear to be off something like a Morris 8.

DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0175.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

structure bolted

DSCN0172.jpg

General atmosphere.

DSCN0179.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

Edited by fatbaldbloke

Well I went ahead and ordered a 1/48th version over the weekend. It looks as if my order is progressing. Total cost including shipping was 179PLN which converted to to around £36 GBP. GPM have just refunded me £8, not reason given but suspect the website shipping charge was too high. So cost worked out to £28, quite happy with that.

Thanks and all credit to GPM for the refund, most appreciated.

That makes the cost a bit more palletable, doesn't it?

Slightly overdue, but a few shots from inside Hangar 7 at Baginton. Not a huge amount of useful clutter though the starting trolley might be of interest. Wheels appear to be off something like a Morris 8.

Thanks for taking the time to get these photos and for posting them!!! Lots of great ideas for additional "stuff" to add. I have made a start by making some storage racking using plasticard and more card offcuts. Ditto for some cupboards and the tables. The spares box gave me something to place on the racking and even more card offcuts made the crates.

P1060487.jpg

P1060488.jpg

P1060489.jpg

P1060490.jpg

P1060491.jpg

P1060492.jpg

Darius

• Like 2