1:48 Scale Aircraft Hangar Diorama

Inspired by Goose's recent post on BM regarding the availability of 1:72 scale aircraft hangar kits I found this 1:48 scale kit during an eBay search. The kit was also available in 1:144 scale but alas not in 1:72 scale (sorry Goose). A further Google search did, however, indicate that it was at one time (and so might be again) available in 1:72 scale.

P1060435.jpg

The kit comprises several A3-sized cardboard sheets of various thicknesses and textures, into which the kit parts are laser cut. Small tabs - like those on a photoetched fret - need to be cut to free the parts, only the knife remains sharp this time :)

P1060436.jpg

The hangar floor sheets were glued to a hardboard base using Resin W white woodworking glue. This is easy to apply and the excess can be cleaned away with a damp cloth. Once glued the floor was spayed using Halfords grey primer to provide a base concrete colour. Further lighter weathering colours will be applied later.

P1060437.jpg

P1060438.jpg

The internal framing to the hangar walls is provided in thick cardboard with a thinner corrugated cardboard outer cladding. The framing and the outside corrugated face of the cladding were spray painted using Halfords Nissan Silver. Before being glued together with Resin W.

P1060439.jpg

The window frames are laser cut in thin white card but the heat from the laser cutting process has produced a slight burn discolouration at the inside corner of each window opening. This actually produces a slightly weathered look to the frames and adds depth to what is essentially a two dimensional part. Clear acetate sheet (almost like polythene) is provided for the window glazing and this was glued to the non-burnt side of the window framing using small dabs of super glue. The glazed windows were then fixed to the hangar walls using super glue.

The roof trusses are provided in left and right halves with a delicate (i.e. potentially weak) butt joint between them. I used Resin W glue for the initial but join and then reinforced it with plasticard splices, fixed using super glue, on both sides of the truss.

P1060440.jpg

P1060441.jpg

P1060442.jpg

So far so good. I am going to add personnel doors at each end of the hangar side walls as at present the only way in or out is through the main doors. The Fire Officer would not approve!!!

:giles:

Darius

Bloody Hell !!!!!

How handy is this,what a damn good find that man.

I've never understood why some firm like "SuperQuick"(they do card buildings for model railways-very good too)

have never come up with hangars and other airfield buildings.

That is damm cool and could have saved me a heap of time and Statschmunck's stirrey sticks !

Look forward to the finished hangar.

BTW what are the dimensions of the finished building?

Si.

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

You don't have to search on Ebay!

The GPM's "Modele Kartonowe" products (Hangar, shelter, control tower etc.) are readily available - see website:

1/72 - http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=kate...m=4&kat=243

1/48 - http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=kate...m=4&kat=227

1/144 - http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=kate...m=4&kat=337

See here for the Hangar:

1/48 - ref. GPM-H48-1 - http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=prod...amp;edycja=3214

1/72 - ref. GPM-H72-1 - http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=prod...amp;edycja=3217

1/144 - ref. GPM-1/144-H144-1 - http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=prod...amp;edycja=5936

HANGAR 1/48 - cut with laser model

Ref: GPM-H48-1

Producer: GPM

Size: L-60cm , B 42 cm , H 24 cm

Scale: 1:48

Degree of difficulty: moderately difficult

Unit price: € 16.25 , 19.12 $

3217_2.jpg3217_1.jpg

See also Britmodeller:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...amp;hl=shelters

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

That looks fab - a perfect accompaniment to the forthcoming Interwar GB <cue brain whirring into action>

Edited by AndyC

Made a start on the roof truss this evening. As described before the central butt joint between the truss halves needs to be reinforced. As assembled from the kit parts the truss is quite floppy. In real life there would be additional longitudinal and transverse diagonal bracing, especially along the truss bottom chord adjacent to the hangar door opening. This is required to provide lateral support to the tops of the sliding door panels (to resist wind loading when the doors are shut) and to keep the lateral deflection at the tops of the door panels within tolerance so that the door panels can slide easily. This project is really satisfying for a civil/structural engineer!!!

I have started adding this additional bracing using the plentiful card off-cuts that come with the kit. One end of the truss system has the lower chord bracing installed and the other end is partially completed. Longitudinal bracing will also be required along the edges of the structure next to the supports. I am building the roof to be removable so that I can change the aircraft around inside and add "hangar clutter" at will. The additional bracing is already starting to stiffen the truss structure - as it is designed to do :)

P1060443.jpg

P1060444.jpg

P1060445.jpg

P1060446.jpg

P1060447.jpg

Darius

I could do with some of those....

alternatively - if you can cut and glue one of these, you should be able to scratch build your own...

anybody tried?

Some more progress. I added a cardboard "kerb" to the hangar floor around the inside perimeter of the walls. This gives an edge to glue against and prevents light "bleed" between the walls and the floor.

P1060448.jpg

P1060449.jpg

The walls were then glued in place. The external corners will need to be tidied up but for now I will let the glue cure.

P1060450.jpg

P1060451.jpg

P1060452.jpg

The completed but as yet unpainted roof truss drops into place.

P1060453.jpg

P1060454.jpg

P1060455.jpg

P1060456.jpg

P1060457.jpg

P1060458.jpg

Darius

Thats REALLY cool, I guess you could use it for any aircraft too, as they are still around today on some bases, airfields etc! My minds going overdrive thinking of the detail you could add....!

P1060458.jpg

Hey, who let you into my hangar?!

This is a very nifty project, and judging by the Spit is a fairly large one. One problem, though- one of my cats would not be able to resist climbing in, and that wouldn't end well...

bob

That is just superb, someone has done their home work there. As someone who has spent the past 25 years in the Structural Steel trade as a plater/welder I can say that that is pretty much spot on. Like you say it lacks the horizontal braces, wind braces as we call them and normally made from tubular section.

That is just superb, someone has done their home work there. As someone who has spent the past 25 years in the Structural Steel trade as a plater/welder I can say that that is pretty much spot on. Like you say it lacks the horizontal braces, wind braces as we call them and normally made from tubular section.

Thanks, as a chartered civil engineer with over 25 years experience of structural design it would be a bit embarassing if I got the bracing wrong :)

1:48 scale tubular sections are a bit of a challenge in cardboard and in a hangar of this era the bracing would most likely be of steel angle section or even steel rod with turnbuckles.

Darius

I see they do a hardened shelter but looking at the dimensions they give it's bigger than the hanger, just wondering if they have them the wrong way around on the website

Edited by colin

a hangar of this era the bracing would most likely be of steel angle section or even steel rod with turnbuckles.

Darius

Would most likely have been riveted together as well, now that would be a nice project for you!