SS ATLANTIC CONVEYOR in 1/72 scale

Right you lot...

So, it began as an Ultimate project idea and now seems to have gotten to the point where i believe i can actually do this....

So, the story so far.

Im going to build the flight deck of the Atlantic Conveyor, one end will be a facade of the ships super structure, whilst the other will end just after the launch pad (the pointy end of the ship)

There are one or two minor issues that i have at the moment, which are...

- In 1/72 scale, the ship is roughly 9 1/2 feet long, lop off the unnecessary bits for the build and were looking at about 6 feet long.

- The load was 6 Wessex Helicopters, 5 Chinooks, 8 Sea harriers and 5 Harrier GR3's when she arrived in the Falklands, however, looking at a couple of the photos, im going with the following

- 8 Sea Harriers

- 5 GR3's

- 2 Chinooks

- 3 Wessex

Purely, from the point of view of the photo and the time it was taken.

At the moment, the stash has...... one of the above, A Matchbox Chinook.

- about 40 1/72 scale shipping containers, easy enough to get from the model railway suppliers

- and about 30 odd figures.

oh and about 3 and a half tons of plastic card :analintruder:

So, rivet counters and history buffs beware, this is not a build of 100% accuracy and historical fact, its about fun, experience and enjoyment.

I intend using the cheapest kits i can find, not the latest wunderkits, and shock and horror, some wont even be painted (cos they have their winter jammies on)

So, I must now move to my dark side of modelling (wingy things) and find where i can get all those planes and helicopters.

Let us not forget, there were a dozen or so chaps that lost there lives on this ship, lets hope I can do them justice...

Let the games begin :speak_cool:

OMG! You are a brave man! NUTS... but as brave as they come! LOL!

I've had a quick look at my stash and, regretfully, I dont have any of the aircraft you need. I do have a large amount of plastruct (girders, square rod, box section and others). If you think any of that could be useful, drop me a PM and I'll get some to you.

Good luck - I presume you have an empty garage in which to display this? :)

Kev

OMG! You are a brave man! NUTS... but as brave as they come! LOL!

I've had a quick look at my stash and, regretfully, I dont have any of the aircraft you need. I do have a large amount of plastruct (girders, square rod, box section and others). If you think any of that could be useful, drop me a PM and I'll get some to you.

Good luck - I presume you have an empty garage in which to display this? :)

Kev

Hehe.....

Im lucky in that i have a modelling room, which is big enough along one wall.

Thanks for the offer of the plastruct stuff, Have a fair bit on hand, but ill definately give you a shout if I run out.

Steve

Hehe.....

Im lucky in that i have a modelling room, which is big enough along one wall.

Thanks for the offer of the plastruct stuff, Have a fair bit on hand, but ill definately give you a shout if I run out.

Steve

ha ha - I guess your room is even bigger than mine, then! :) Or it has less computers in... my OTHER vice... err, I mean hobby!

Kev

ha ha - I guess your room is even bigger than mine, then! :) Or it has less computers in... my OTHER vice... err, I mean hobby!

Kev

Come closer (hushed whisper)...

It used to be a railway room...

just dont tell anyone

Edited by MAD STEVE

...........In 1/72 scale, the ship is roughly 9 1/2 feet long, lop off the unnecessary bits for the build and were looking at about 6 feet long.

- The load was 6 Wessex Helicopters, 5 Chinooks, 8 Sea harriers and 5 Harrier GR3's when she arrived in the Falklands, however, looking at a couple of the photos, im going with the following

- 8 Sea Harriers

- 5 GR3's

- 2 Chinooks

- 3 Wessex

- about 40 1/72 scale shipping containers, easy enough to get from the model railway suppliers

Hi Steve,

I don't think you need as many as 40 shipping containers, as the photo below shows. The count looks to be:

4 x 20ft containers

15 x 40ft containers

10 x 40ft containers half height - these are the light grey ones at positions 2, 3 & 4 on the port side (under the red, orange and white/grey containers). On the starboard side they are at position 2 and 4.

I don't know anyone who makes OO/HO/1:72 half height containers so you may just have to use standard containers and score a line along the spit, to make it look like two.

The bottom rows of 'dark blue' are not actually containers but gantry frames that the containers stand on. Other modellers have mistaken these for containers however, at such a large scale as 1:72, you would need the correct layout for your model.

I'm sure you have this image but if not, send me a pm with your email details and I'll send you a higher resolution copy.

Good luck with the build

Mike

AtlanticConveyor1-2.jpg

Oh! I read about this in the Ulitmate Build thread, but I never thought you'd actually do it! Well best of luck to you...!

The best kits of the early harriers are supposed to be the Esci moulds, which are available from Italeri. A quick look at Hannant's shows these to be £11.99 each, which is actually cheaper than the Airfix SHAR FRS1s, and only £2 more expensive than the antique Airfix GR3. I'd go for these!

Not sure about the helos I'm afraid!

The ESCI/Italeri kits can be picked up cheaply on the second hand market (I got an Italeri one for £4 a couple of months ago)

If you are doing the gift wrapped Harriers, The Matchbox kits are just as good and could be a fair bit cheaper if you can find them! I've seen an MB Sea Harrier done up as one of those. You only need one 'unwrapped' as the alert aircraft.

Edited by Dave Fleming

hi there...i found a couple of slide scans in dads collection im currently copying to computer for him...they aint fantastic, but might be useful. Taken shortly after Bootneck's pic, on 24th April 82

steve

atlanticconveyor24482.jpg

atlanticconveyor.jpg

Hi Guys

As the signature says, down tools...

Gonna put the grand mad project on hold for a few weeks as me and the woman deal with our loss and

get her back on her feet again :kissing2:

Still be around tho

And thanks to everyone that has offered support so far.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I don't think you need as many as 40 shipping containers, as the photo below shows. The count looks to be:

4 x 20ft containers

15 x 40ft containers

10 x 40ft containers half height - these are the light grey ones at positions 2, 3 & 4 on the port side (under the red, orange and white/grey containers). On the starboard side they are at position 2 and 4.

I don't know anyone who makes OO/HO/1:72 half height containers so you may just have to use standard containers and score a line along the spit, to make it look like two.

The bottom rows of 'dark blue' are not actually containers but gantry frames that the containers stand on. Other modellers have mistaken these for containers however, at such a large scale as 1:72, you would need the correct layout for your model.

I'm sure you have this image but if not, send me a pm with your email details and I'll send you a higher resolution copy.

Good luck with the build

Mike

AtlanticConveyor1-2.jpg

Hi Steve.

Have you noticed the last two stacks of containers P&S in front of the bridge are staked to represent the old SA flag! Hmmmmmm!

Colin on the Africa Station

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Thomas

I've done most of the work scaling off pictures in books and the Internet.

Found a few drawings of the conveyor as well.

Luckily I have access to a plotter and when I'm back at work, I'm going to print out the plan I have

Thanks very much though for asking for the ship plans, will be a tremendous help.

Steve

Hi Thomas

I've done most of the work scaling off pictures in books and the Internet.

Found a few drawings of the conveyor as well.

Luckily I have access to a plotter and when I'm back at work, I'm going to print out the plan I have

Thanks very much though for asking for the ship plans, will be a tremendous help.

Steve

no probs mate i know what its like my friend tony and build landing craft and we done a 1/72 LST ,its on here ..

thomas