C-17 lands at wrong Airport

Julien

Good advert for the STOL capabilities of the C-17, if not the navigation of the crew :doh: . Still, everyone makes mistakes and this wasn't a costly one fortunately.

Similar happened in the UK a while a go when some U.S ANG F.4's visited RAF Coltishall after accidentally popping into Norwich airport. Main issue was they couldn't self start and needed an air starter paloust rig sent over to get them launched and into Colt.

Edited by rafrobbo

Similar happened in the UK a while a go when some U.S ANG F.4's visited RAF Coltishall after accidentally popping into Norwich airport. Main issue was they couldn't self start and needed an air starter paloust rig sent over to get them launched and into Colt.

What is it with USAF crew? Over the years they've displayed at Blackbushe instead of Farnborough, at Manchester instead of Woodford and have made many embarrassing en route navigation errors in Europe despite state of the art navigation aids.

If I remember correctly the Pan American driver who landed a 707 at Northolt in the 1960s was either AFRES or ANG in his spare time.

i.i.r.c buccaneer xv361 was flown into RAF aldergrove on behalf of the ulster aviation society ,pilots went for tea and medals at the officers mess then buggered off back home to lossie.only to find harry staish waiting for them,steam coming out of his ears!! crew didn't realize they were to deliver it to Langford lodge ,a mere stones throw away from aldergrove,it was the shortest flight ever recorded for a buccaneer (they didn't even retract the u/c) :oops:

Reminds of the Specsavers advert where the space shuttle lands in the UK by mistake.

Seriously...testament to the skills of the pilot managing to land on so small a field with something that size.

should have gone to specsavers

Happens from time to time. Classic ones are Kristiansand/Kristiansund (one is in Norway, the other in Sweden...), Zurich/Dübendorf (both have an east/west-oriented runway), even Zurich/Basle (both have a Rwy 16 with a shorter intersecting one...)

Alex

Not a case of actually landing at the wrong airport, but I'm sure a lot of passengers thought so.

I once read a book about practical jokes, and it said that on one April Fools' Day somebody painted a large sign on the roof of a barn on the approach to (I think it was) LA International.

The sign read: WELCOME TO CHICAGO.

On the 17th Dec 2008 a C17 landed at Cosford inside it was a Ch53 for the Cold War Museum, the runway at Cosford is about the same length as the airport in the states

but has a railway enbankment at one end and landed towards it. I was there to witness this and will post a picture when I find it.

Geoff Arnold

World Heli Sig IPMS

Edited by Geoff Arnold

Happens from time to time. Classic ones are Kristiansand/Kristiansund (one is in Norway, the other in Sweden...), Zurich/Dübendorf (both have an east/west-oriented runway), even Zurich/Basle (both have a Rwy 16 with a shorter intersecting one...)

Alex

Alex

Kristiansand and kristiansund are both in Norway;-) but way apart....

Alex

Kristiansand and kristiansund are both in Norway;-) but way apart....

There are a few similar names in Norway. When I worked sending freight there you always had to double check place names or it could get expensive.

Julien

Happens from time to time. Classic ones are Kristiansand/Kristiansund (one is in Norway, the other in Sweden...), Alex

Nope, they are both towns in Norway. You must be thinking of Kristianstad? That's in Sweden, and I think it was the Italian Air Force that delivered a planeload of fully kitted out Italian paras heading for a military exercise in Kristiansand - and arrived in Kristianstad.

Before the advent of postcodes in Norway, letters used to be addressed to Kristiansund-N (for north) and Kristiansand-S (for south) to avoid confusion.

Jens

Nope, they are both towns in Norway. You must be thinking of Kristianstad? That's in Sweden, and I think it was the Italian Air Force that delivered a planeload of fully kitted out Italian paras heading for a military exercise in Kristiansand - and arrived in Kristianstad.

I stand corrected. I know it was a mixup between Sweden and Norway, so we have already 3 Airports which sound almost the same :) Oh, I can't tell how many parcels for my former company have been sent to Sweden or Swaziland instead of Switzerland... thanks god these were just parcels, not complete airplanes!

Alex

Oh, I can't tell how many parcels for my former company have been sent to Sweden or Swaziland instead of Switzerland... thanks god these were just parcels, not complete airplanes!

There's a legend of some operatic props and scenery that were sent to Bayreuth (for the Wagner festival) and ended up in Lebanon.

Edited by pigsty