Seahawk FGA.6

I finally finished this little kit. I obviously build very slowly, and for me, alot of the interest in modelling comes in researching and learning about the subject. This one proved to be a research challenge..! Very little documentation exists about this particular airplane. It was one of two, coded 515 and 516, that flew out of Yeovilton in the late 50s and early 60s, as part of 700 NAS. It was used for evaluation flights, and one of the two made the first landing of a jet aboard the then new aircraft carrier HMS Hermes, in May of 1960. After scouring the internet, and even contacting the FAA Museum, my only source of additional information came from a fellow Britmodeller in Italy (thanks again Claudio)...!

Initially, I only had the Warpaint #29 book as my main reference, and it only shows one black and white photo, and one color profile of the airplane, in its pages. Unfortunately, the photo is hard to interpret in places, and the color profile is inaccurate. This plane had two, not one, orange bands per wing, and a narrow orange stripe which ran forward from the fulseage band, along the top of the fuselage. (The additional photos provided me confirm this.) Also, after scrutinizing the Warpaint photo, I believe the elevators were orange as well. The tailhook was EDSG, not striped... there were no ejection seat warning triangles under the cockpit... and the top of the ejection seat was unpainted aluminum. Also, I cannot find any photos of any Seahawks, which have stencil data on the righthand side of the drop tanks.

I used Xtracolor emamels for the EDSG and white, and mixed my own orange from two shades in the Testors paint line. The decals are from Xtradecal, and performed flawlessly. But be advised, the markings are very well printed, but the color painting reference cited is the Warpaint book. Otherwise I highly reccomend the decals and the kit... Its a little gem...

Here's my build thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...&hl=seahawk

And here's the finished model.... be kind, it the first kit I've finished in many, many years...!

DSCN0022_626.jpg

DSCN0058_656.jpg

DSCN0059_657.jpg

DSCN0034_636.jpg

DSCN0035_637.jpg

DSCN0027_631.jpg

DSCN0038_638.jpg

DSCN0039_639.jpg

• Like 11

What a little beauty and I really love the scheme, its been on my `to do' list for a while but I doubt that my model would come anywhere near yours, its a little gem!

Great research work too,

All the best

Tony O

• Like 1

Top marks !! Ive built this very kit not so long ago and i know where the problem spots are, Im very impressed for instance on how well youve managed the split at the tail... You'd never know ! :D

• Like 1

Very nice work. Enjoyed watching your progress on this one and all the research has proved worthwhile. Top job!

Thank you to all for the very kind words...! Discovering Britmodeller and receiving all your encouragment thoroughout the "work in progress" postings really motivated me to see this one through... No kidding... I haven't finished a model in about 20 years...!!! Started alot, but finihsed none...! Thanks again...

Edited by TME3

And here's the finished model.... be kind, it the first kit I've finished in many, many years...!

Hello Tom,

a very nice build indeed. I particularly like the finish: restrained panel line highlighting, the weathering looks right... these could easily be overdone in 72nd scale, but you have found a good balance.

And, that colour scheme is really eye-catching.

Bravo!

Claudio

• 1 year later...

Just caught up with your build; it's excellent. The colour scheme you've chosen is a refreshing change to the standard fare...I'm not really into 'Admiral's Barges' either so I'll bear this one in mind. Thanks for sharing and well done!