1:72 CMR Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2, XV864, 809 NAS, RNAS Lossiemouth 1969

Beautiful, always a pleasure to see your work Bill, i couldnt do that in 1:48th, now hurry up and finish that revell mustang, i'm looking forward to seeing how well it can be built to inspire me to start on mine :)

Cheers, Stu

Thats an absolutely awesome build by anybody's standards! You really have captured the feel of the Buccaneer.

Martin

Fantastic work!!! How do you manage painting the natural metal faces on the intakes--are they hand painted? I've always had a bugger of a time getting mine to look that even and you seem to have it mastered!

Cheers,

A. C.

Edited by Arie

stunning finish and excellent pictures bill,you should be well chuffed with that build , :thumbsup:

but........(and this is only a criticism of the kit ,NOT your build) i couldn't bring myself to pay all that money for a kit that will not sit well with my A.M.S ,just too many small flaws that would be

overlooked by 99.9 percent of people,but would drive me to hack and cut till i was left with a nothing but a pile of resin dust. same as most kits i build

(or fail to build for that very reason :raincloud: )

still it is far and away the best 1/72 banana jet out there!!!

arbrownra said:
Absolutely first class build - and great photos too. Have often thought about buying one of these kits but have been put off by the cost vs probability of screwing it up.

I had the same thoughts. What caused me to take the plunge was the realization that if I bought the Airfix 1:72 model, and all of the aftermarket resin, PE, masks, and transfers, I'd end up spending about the same money. And I'd have the same chance to screw something up! (Which I did with this kit, by the way. But I planned for both of the embarrassing mistakes to be on the bottom so nobody would see them. Hint: arrestor hook and hold-back mechanism fairing.) So I went for the resin since I knew that I would probably learn something, and that's fun!

Duncan B said:
Another superb build Bill, thanks for the inspiration (I must get on with mine).

Yes, for sure Duncan! You have an Attacker in resin, right? Go for it! I have the Scimitar and Sea Venom waiting in the wings - I think I'll do the Sea Venom in the markings for Danni's dad.

crobinsonh said:
Lovely job on your Buccaneer. Really captured her look and brought her to life.

Thank you for your help with the details. It helps when you have access to someone who has his own personal Brick! smile.png

stoohoo said:
Beautiful, always a pleasure to see your work Bill, i couldnt do that in 1:48th, now hurry up and finish that revell mustang, i'm looking forward to seeing how well it can be built to inspire me to start on mine smile.png

Holy cow, I forgot all about that Mustang!! You are right, I must finish the last of my "trio." Thanks for reminding me!! Now I wonder where it is...

martin hale said:
Thats an absolutely awesome build by anybody's standards! You really have captured the feel of the Buccaneer.

Thanks, Martin. I'm glad that you think so - capturing the "feel" of the plane is always one of my objectives. I think the CMR kit represents all those crazy Buccaneer curves best, and that really helps!

Arie said:
Fantastic work!!! How do you manage painting the natural metal faces on the intakes--are they hand painted?

Thanks, A.C. Yes, the leading edges of the intakes are hand-painted. To get a real steady hand I always rest my palm on something so I only have to worry about moving my fingers. I used Testor's Flat Aluminum, and then brushed Future over it to give it a glossy look.

buccy mad said:
but........(and this is only a criticism of the kit, NOT your build) i couldn't bring myself to pay all that money for a kit that will not sit well with my A.M.S, just too many small flaws that would be overlooked by 99.9 percent of people, but would drive me to hack and cut till i was left with a nothing but a pile of resin dust. same as most kits i build

I understand completely. I've resigned myself to the fact that all kits have some errors, and I can't fix them all. I try to fix the big ones (like I had to do with my Lightning) or at least start with something that has a reasonably accurate shape. Like Martin said, to capture the feel of the aircraft. But every modeller has their own set of criteria that defines what they like and don't like. The most important thing is to have fun! That's what is so great about this hobby. You can have fun at any level!

Cheers,

Bill