1:72 CMR Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2, XV864, 809 NAS, RNAS Lossiemouth 1969

Hi mates!

After 48 years of modelling, I decided to take the plunge and build my first all-resin kit. I've certainly used lots of resin cockpits and other detailing accessories, but I've never gone for an entire resin model. I figured I should start with something simple and easy, so I picked CMR's beautiful 1:72 Buccaneer. The work-in-progress thread can be found here.

I learned a lot along the way, but I think the biggest takeaway is that building a resin kit really isn't much different than a "normal" plastic kit. You have more work to do removing the parts and cleaning them up, and you've got to use different adhesives, but other than that it wasn't so bad. If you've been wanting to give resin a try, go for it!

The Buccaneer is finished in Gunze Aqueous H333 Extra Dark Sea Grey, with H331 Dark Sea Grey used for weathering accents. Black pastels were also used to highlight some panels. The metallic surfaces are Alclad, and I chose to pose the model with the wings folded. Oddly enough, the wing fold braces are included with the kit, but not mentioned in the instruction manual. By the way, I can't say enough for CMR's instructions - all 22 pages. I wish every kit had such detailed instructions. One thing I really found useful was a painting guide that listed the correct paint (by BS381C numbers if appropriate) for every single part in the kit. Nice!

I didn't use any aftermarket on the kit, because let's face it, all of the aftermarket is already in the box. It's got a resin cockpit and bang seat (hey, the whole model is resin, right?), it's got pre-painted photoetched details for the cockpit, and other photoetch details for use elsewhere, it has two sets of vacuform canopies (good thing, I made a major mistake cutting out the first one), it's got die-cut masks for the canopy and windscreen, and it has two huge sheets of transfers with no less than 12(!) options for markings.

So here she is, I hope you enjoy the photos!

100_2196

100_2198

100_2199

100_2200

100_2202

100_2204

100_2206

100_2208

100_2210

100_2211

100_2212

100_2213

100_2214

100_2215

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 8

Superb :thumbsup:

I also think this clearly shows that the "investment" in a CMR resin and some expertise result in a really realistic looking Bucc !

Would love to be able to finish one to this standard.

Rolf

B-U-ti-full,

What a stunning Bucc, I`ve been following your build with interest and you`ve done a cracking job. I`ve got this kit too but I`ve been a bit scared to start it, so it is nice to see that it is possible and I`ll take heart with your excellent effort, which is beautiful.

All the best

Tony O